Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1374728 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #1850 on: December 04, 2016, 12:45:47 AM »
Isn't Mark Cuban, Croatian as well?

Mark Cuban was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.His father, Norton Cuban, was an automobile upholsterer and Mark has described his mother, Shirley, as someone with "a different job or different career goal every other week."He grew up in the suburb of Mount Lebanon, in a Jewish working-class family. His paternal grandfather changed the family name from "Chabenisky" to "Cuban" after his family emigrated from Russia through Ellis Island.His maternal grandparents, who were also Jewish, came from Romania.Cuban's first step into the business world occurred at age 12, when he sold garbage bags to pay for a pair of expensive basketball shoes.

Given his liberal bent, I'm glad he's not.  My buddy escaped communism under Marshall Tito in 1976 and came to America.  Declared asylum and ultimately started his own telecom business.  Great American who loves this country more than most native born Americans.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: December 04, 2016, 01:50:06 AM »
Capital Grille steaks are very good! Love Morton's too....bone in ribeye and I'm a happy man! ;)

Funny about that steam cleaner....I still am missing part of my print on my left index finger where I took it off with a powerwasher....37 years ago!! Yeesh.

Nice camping spot JR! Great pics!

Today I did parking detail (*cough*security*cough*) for our church Christmas fair (it's a town wide event with lots of businesses and the schools involved). We had a good turnout. Stood in the 40 degree weather and nonstop wind from 930 to 400 directing traffic and trolleys in and out. Good time for sure. People always wonder why I volunteer to run it every year. I just tell them I like helpiing with the cars (I see everyone who comes within 100 yards of the place....I figure a Church event like that makes a prime target for the self radicalized a-holes in society and know a lot of the congregation wouldn't think of any protection being needed....so I help and watch)

Then we watched our youngest in the HS band playing on the town common at our treelighting ceremony. Gotta love small towns...even in Commie Massachusetts we get away with it. Sheesh. Then we got our own tree and got it set up by a nice fire. Good day.

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: December 04, 2016, 08:16:47 AM »
Sitting in upper pines campground with the scouts, Yosemite just under halfdome.

About 25f right now at 1920.
Wow!

Nice!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: December 04, 2016, 08:19:36 AM »

Mark Cuban was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.His father, Norton Cuban, was an automobile upholsterer and Mark has described his mother, Shirley, as someone with "a different job or different career goal every other week."He grew up in the suburb of Mount Lebanon, in a Jewish working-class family. His paternal grandfather changed the family name from "Chabenisky" to "Cuban" after his family emigrated from Russia through Ellis Island.His maternal grandparents, who were also Jewish, came from Romania.Cuban's first step into the business world occurred at age 12, when he sold garbage bags to pay for a pair of expensive basketball shoes.

Given his liberal bent, I'm glad he's not.  My buddy escaped communism under Marshall Tito in 1976 and came to America.  Declared asylum and ultimately started his own telecom business.  Great American who loves this country more than most native born Americans.

I didn't know

But I watched Mark Cuban say he was Croatian (Or possibly something like that...memory...) on television

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: December 04, 2016, 09:46:23 AM »
Went 4 wheeling accidentally last night. My older son was home so we had him babysit while the wife and went for a drive. I got the rear end back together in the 82 Chevy. Haven't had a chance to get it out yet. It was dark and snowing but no big deal. Were out in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. Ive been here 15 years and I know all the roads like the back of my hand. They are all on a grid. Every mile there is an intersection. Except one. I had a 6 pack along and we were talking just cruising around 30 or 40 mph out in the country. So I come to this little one lane bridge that's where I think where the hell am I? Oh well I will cross then turn around and go back. Nope. One lane turns to mud. The bridge crossed the plum creek 20 ft down to the water. No backing over that. No guard rails and In 1982 they didn't have very good reverse lights. I don't think they work at all to be honest. Steep drop off one side into drainage ditch and mud and water on the other side. It turned into a field road deep ruts from tractors. Wife is having a panic attack. I put to to the wood get through one hole at a time. The old 6.2 was just screaming. Come out the other side and I'm just 5 miles from the house. I thought I knew all the roads but I found a new one. 2 mile long no maintenance field road.

So now I'm shopping for light bars. They are really cheap. Is Cree a good brand? I found a thread a while back people were taking about the best cheap light bar. I don't remember where it was. If it was on here or another forum. I want to put a light bar in the grille of my duramax and mount one on the tool box of the 82 facing back.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: December 04, 2016, 12:04:08 PM »
Sounds like an adventure.

Cree is one brand of chip used in the LEDS.
They are one of the better to my knowledge.
The cheap bars must be on another forum.

Having said that, I'm running as cheap as I can find ones and so far am happy with them.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: December 04, 2016, 12:14:19 PM »
Sam any condensation in your light bar yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: December 04, 2016, 12:25:27 PM »
I don't have the big bar mounted yet.
It looks like 'decent' craftsmanship...given I didn't break $50 delivered not sure ho high my hopes are with it.
The back ups are still good.
They've been beat on with rocks inside the bumper, one hit by a trailer hitch (don't ask...lol)  and pressure washed a few times now.
I make no guarantees that this will still be the case come spring, but for 13 bucks, not sure I care too much.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: December 04, 2016, 03:20:11 PM »
Sam any condensation in your light bar yet?

I'm not Sam, but I mounted that light bar on the John Deere last spring if you recall. It is fine so far. I plan to mount one on Sarge as well

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: December 04, 2016, 04:59:06 PM »
I ordered these for the 82. I will mount them on the tool box facing back.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HJ2HCB6/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also ordered a set to install in the rear bumper of the Duramax. Free 2 day shipping. should be here Wednesday.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: December 04, 2016, 07:05:05 PM »
Oiled my work boots and added some fresh paracord laces today

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: December 04, 2016, 08:57:33 PM »
Discovered that my debit card had been hacked/cloned and got to experience all the joy that comes with that  >:(  Rat Bastard spent $1600 in 10 mins!  Thankfully, I get text alerts whenever a transaction hits over "x" $ ........ Interrupted my steak fajitas!   :'(
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: December 04, 2016, 09:03:58 PM »
That's a bummer

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: December 04, 2016, 09:07:03 PM »
Death penalty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: December 04, 2016, 09:19:30 PM »

I didn't know

But I watched Mark Cuban say he was Croatian (Or possibly something like that...memory...) on television
You might be thinking of Robert Herjavec... he's definitely Croatian and they're both on Shark Tank

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: December 04, 2016, 09:26:32 PM »

I didn't know

You might be thinking of Robert Herjavec... he's definitely Croatian and they're both on Shark Tank

Ya know, you may be right...But I feel relatively certain I heard Cuban answer in the affirmative when asked, "Aren't you Croatian?"

Wow, would be the first time I was ever wrong!

Amazing!

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: December 04, 2016, 10:49:03 PM »
Well... I'm on hour 28 of what should have been a 10 to 12 hour Cisco phone system upgrade. Probably have 3 or 4 more to go. Restoring from backup.

Have I mentioned I hate computers!! :(

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: December 04, 2016, 11:00:24 PM »
I don't like em either

Ever tell you about the time everything failed in the office end of the jet I was flying from Boston to Ft. Meyers...while we were over the Atlantic...The back end full of folks who had no idea they were in mortal danger...with a gigantic winter snow storm pummeling the east coast... (Read: No where to go!)

I don't like computers either...

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: December 05, 2016, 05:15:37 PM »
Those lights work good. Heck, you can get led bars in wally now.

Just replaced my PC also. Been buying old dells but went for new this time. I just placed all files to portable HD then copied over. Just have the favorites to move I can't figure out. I even have carbonite but it take so long, but has saved me before.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: December 05, 2016, 08:36:36 PM »
Helped my elderly mom get a fair price on a new Subaru Outback (took half the day) then loaded the pickup with used appliances & various scrap. Headed to scrap yard first thing then more cleaning of the barn. Having to remove accumulation to get to the gold....... ;)
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: December 05, 2016, 08:47:18 PM »
Well... I'm on hour 28 of what should have been a 10 to 12 hour Cisco phone system upgrade. Probably have 3 or 4 more to go. Restoring from backup.

That's Cisco for ya...  supposedly "creme de la creme"... until it breaks.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: December 05, 2016, 09:52:14 PM »
Headed to Home Depot this AM after dropping the little one off at school....get a text from my friend asking me to help him drag a buck out of the woods he shot. So dropped off the stuff at the house and headed to him. He got a nice little spike, 150 lbs on the scale gutted. Got a couple of inches of snow this am....nice and quiet in the woods. He bought me lunch for the trouble....double good. Then came home and worked the rest of the day.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: December 06, 2016, 08:00:55 AM »

It really is incredible. We pay over $180,000.00 a year for Cisco Smartnet support for our equipment. That is just support. It is not counting the $500,000.00 plus we spent on new equipment and licensing. Then on Sunday morning at 4am when you are trying to get out of the ditch and escalate to an engineer that actually knows what they are doing, they tell you there is no one else available. We are stuck with Juanita in Costa Rica that has to keep relaying our questions to someone else that we can't get on the phone. I finally got a local Cisco person to call me back at 11am but they were pretty much useless getting help other than apologizing all over the place. Then they didn't even follow up all day long. I get a call Monday morning from one of the regional managers asking how it was going. 

Rolls Royce prices at Yugo support.

Plan for 2017 is how to get rid of them.
Mike

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: December 06, 2016, 10:11:33 AM »

It really is incredible. We pay over $180,000.00 a year for Cisco Smartnet support for our equipment. That is just support. It is not counting the $500,000.00 plus we spent on new equipment and licensing. Then on Sunday morning at 4am when you are trying to get out of the ditch and escalate to an engineer that actually knows what they are doing, they tell you there is no one else available. We are stuck with Juanita in Costa Rica that has to keep relaying our questions to someone else that we can't get on the phone. I finally got a local Cisco person to call me back at 11am but they were pretty much useless getting help other than apologizing all over the place. Then they didn't even follow up all day long. I get a call Monday morning from one of the regional managers asking how it was going. 

^^^^Exactly^^^^

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: December 06, 2016, 10:57:25 AM »
Well today marks day two of my marathon trip to pick up the new sled.

Also timed with it is the first winter dose of the year...
Stoopid people in little cars without winter tires...
I am a believer in them, and even debated studding the new Toyos...wish I had now.

As I drive into the storm twice yesterday, why I had left my skidoo trailer at mom and dads...why...

Those were when it was good enough to grab the phone. 20-40 mph for far too long...

And it made the city last night...
So I think a turtle would be a better mode of transport on some routes at the moment.

Setting waiting for Costco to open then try to get sled and get outta dodge.

Snow ah-piling up everywhere now.

Stay safe everyone.
Sam

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: December 06, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »
What's all that white stuff? ^^^^^^^^

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: December 06, 2016, 11:23:03 AM »
And that's what most of them said too...
I can't believe how many folks forget how to drive as soon as a flake falls... >:(
Sam

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: December 06, 2016, 11:48:13 AM »

I assisted on a job a couple years ago with Cisco UCS blades, EMC SAN and  fancy Nexus 3000 (I think) switches - I was there for the VM side of things, another firm was there for the physical hardware.  Shut it down Friday PM, moved it to their new office (that was fun - no elevator - put it on the forks of a boom and lifted it through a second story doorway) and re-rack on Saturday, and then we spent all night Saturday troubleshooting why stuff wouldn't come back up or communicate. Sometime about 2am I made a comment "Maybe this software version has a bug in it" to which I was told "Nah, this is a solid build"... About 4am I lay down on the floor and fall asleep, 6 or 7am I go back to the hotel. Meanwhile those guys are still there working with DumbNet. About 11am I get a call "Hey we got it back up, need you now".  I go back over there, spend a few hours booting up the network, verifying the Exchange server and Terminal/Citrix server farm are operational and I'm done. I asked the guys "so, what was it?" -- their response... "Oh, that version had a bug in it. We had to upgrade the switch." I just rolled my eyes.
Ryan

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: December 06, 2016, 12:01:57 PM »
Marginal pics at best,(sorry, but the driver's side took from 8:00am to 3:00pm and I was done cleaning my hands off to take pics) but suffice it to say, I had a very long, curse word filled day this weekend. Everything rusted solid, upper ball joint completely fell apart when I hit it with the pickle fork, almost broke off the lower shock mount getting the frozen bolt out of the bushing sleeve, then set it on fire. then threw it across the street... bearing hub assembly, inner outer tie rods, upper and lower ball joints. pitman arm and idler will have to wait till I can get it on a rack. Dave was kind enough to show us all how much fun those are on jack stands.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: December 06, 2016, 12:04:13 PM »
No after pics. those will have to wait until I can get to the other side of misery. drive's a lot better with round ball joints rather than deformed, bone dry ones though. and the tire stands up straight so that's a plus.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: December 06, 2016, 12:07:35 PM »
Well you know it's bad when the plow truck hits the ditch...

This is after he was removed, but wrecker just putting stuff away...

Going to be another long day.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 12:08:34 PM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: December 06, 2016, 12:17:51 PM »
Yeesh! I'm very comfortable driving in the snow, years of off roading in it on purpose, but I hate driving with others in the snow. I seem to be the only capable driver whenever I'm on the road with traffic. The Californian transplants don't know what it is, the Subaru driver's think they can do normal speeds, but forget they can't stop, and same with lifted truck and jeep drivers. cutting in and out of traffic, passing everyone, and then a few miles down the road, on their side in the median, or facing the wrong way in the middle of the freeway after bouncing off the guardrail. Be safe Sam.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: December 06, 2016, 12:38:33 PM »
Yeesh! I'm very comfortable driving in the snow, years of off roading in it on purpose, but I hate driving with others in the snow. I seem to be the only capable driver whenever I'm on the road with traffic. The Californian transplants don't know what it is, the Subaru driver's think they can do normal speeds, but forget they can't stop, and same with lifted truck and jeep drivers. cutting in and out of traffic, passing everyone, and then a few miles down the road, on their side in the median, or facing the wrong way in the middle of the freeway after bouncing off the guardrail. Be safe Sam.
That's how to put 'stoopid' into words. Thanks.
I was so frustrated not much good was coming to mind.
Got to make a couple more hours in this chaos, and then onto the highway...
Not sure what to do 8-12 inches expected, winds up to 50, yeah me...
Sam

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: December 06, 2016, 01:01:18 PM »
At least you have some semblance of infrastructure there; here, we retrofit garbage trucks w/ plow blades and sand spreaders because we don't keep the snow fighting equipment around. or if it's only going to be here for a couple days, they just leave it, and everything comes to a stand still in the city. out in the country by me, we just figure our own stuff out w/ quads and plow blades, farm trucks w/ sand etc.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: December 06, 2016, 01:43:20 PM »
Coming from a road guy here....If the sander/plow truck isn't in the ditch at least once in an event they are not doing their job. We put the sand out behind us, we were  not driving on it. We didn't put plows  on garbage trucks, we had the dump trucks set up for attachment of plows and sanders. We had to get the roads in shape so the garbage trucks could pick up the garbage. Yes when it is snowing hard the roads are really bad, the trucks just can not keep up with either plowing or sanding when it is really coming down.
You could tell the event was about over by how far out in the brush the 4X4's ended up.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: December 06, 2016, 01:44:59 PM »
At least you have some semblance of infrastructure there; here, we retrofit garbage trucks w/ plow blades and sand spreaders because we don't keep the snow fighting equipment around. or if it's only going to be here for a couple days, they just leave it, and everything comes to a stand still in the city. out in the country by me, we just figure our own stuff out w/ quads and plow blades, farm trucks w/ sand etc.

That's western Washington (and Oregon) for ya.
Ryan

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: December 06, 2016, 04:22:22 PM »
Coming from a road guy here....If the sander/plow truck isn't in the ditch at least once in an event they are not doing their job. We put the sand out behind us, we were  not driving on it. We didn't put plows  on garbage trucks, we had the dump trucks set up for attachment of plows and sanders. We had to get the roads in shape so the garbage trucks could pick up the garbage. Yes when it is snowing hard the roads are really bad, the trucks just can not keep up with either plowing or sanding when it is really coming down.
You could tell the event was about over by how far out in the brush the 4X4's ended up.

That's what I meant, thanks for the correction Bob. no slight to you hardworking fellas, I'm talking deep down core issues like funding and budgeting for man hours and equipment that just isn't planned for from the top down like it is on the east coast or UT for example where it's more consistent.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: December 06, 2016, 05:23:46 PM »

I assisted on a job a couple years ago with Cisco UCS blades, EMC SAN and  fancy Nexus 3000 (I think) switches - I was there for the VM side of things, another firm was there for the physical hardware.  Shut it down Friday PM, moved it to their new office (that was fun - no elevator - put it on the forks of a boom and lifted it through a second story doorway) and re-rack on Saturday, and then we spent all night Saturday troubleshooting why stuff wouldn't come back up or communicate. Sometime about 2am I made a comment "Maybe this software version has a bug in it" to which I was told "Nah, this is a solid build"... About 4am I lay down on the floor and fall asleep, 6 or 7am I go back to the hotel. Meanwhile those guys are still there working with DumbNet. About 11am I get a call "Hey we got it back up, need you now".  I go back over there, spend a few hours booting up the network, verifying the Exchange server and Terminal/Citrix server farm are operational and I'm done. I asked the guys "so, what was it?" -- their response... "Oh, that version had a bug in it. We had to upgrade the switch." I just rolled my eyes.

I feel ya. On Sunday we rebuilt the Publisher and Sub servers from scratch. Then went to restore from backup. 5 minutes into it it errors out with Error message X2s4Wfa2f3oim2$rsaa95..... you get the idea. No intelligible info in the error message... So call Dumbnet :) around 4pm. It took them until 7pm to determine that the previous server that was installed with a different security password 3 years ago and the restore security password had to match that old one. So another hour later of extracting that old password off of the server we could finally restore the two servers. Grrr...

Now on the other side of the Vendor Spectrum we have IBM AIX and XIV SAN boxes.... if a card or anything goes wrong with them they "call home" automatically to IBM and I'll get phone call... (normally between 1am and 3am.. they never have an issue during the day) The IBM tech will tell me what the problem is with which machine and ask me what I would like to be done. Normally if not critical just have a CE meet me at the office at 6am and we can hot swap whatever needs to be done. And you know what.. the IBM CE (normally an older guy in his 50's or 60's) is there at 6am with the actual part that is needed... He fixes it in a few minutes. Brings it back on line and we are back in business. Poof... no waiting on Dumbnet :) for hours for someone in Costa Rica or India.

I have been a VP or CIO since 1993 and I can tell you right now is the worst I have ever seen for customer service or competency in vendors in my lifetime.

Rant off..  :P
Mike

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: December 06, 2016, 05:34:59 PM »
Sounds like you need a hug!

That's not my lane, but just sayin!  ;-)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: December 06, 2016, 08:01:27 PM »
Free hugs here!!  I have to warn ya.  I got the twins cold yesterday!

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: December 06, 2016, 09:06:39 PM »
Got a new toy today.....I've needed/wanted a generator for a long time. I dodged the bullets for years as we never lost power over the first 15 years we lived here (maybe 1x for 15 minutes). But then a few years ago left on a business trip and we had no power for a week....the entire week I was in SF. And um yeah it was February or something....cold as can be. The family spent the week in the FR while my son kept the fire burning.

Since then I have needed one. I first called Generac for a standby but the idjit never showed up for the appt. I called Generac and complained and they never called me back. While most times I would say screw them entirely, I find their price and quality compelling.

So I bought this one a week ago. I will be getting and electrician to wire in a plug for me to run the house. Until then if something were to happen I would run cords. But the bottom line is this should save my butt. Of course having bought it I am pretty much guaranteed not to lose power ha!

Anyway....this is the one I got:

http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/xg-series/xg8000e

An XG8000e....the e for electric start. It puts out 8000 kw with 10000 surge. Will run for 9.5 hours on a tank supposedly. I view it like fire insurance. Hope I don't need it but if I do, I will have it.

Got it from electricgeneratorsdirect.com good px, no tax, free shipping. Showed up today in a semi with liftgate. I uncrated it and added the oil, gas, and fired it up. Elec start is nice. ;)

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: December 06, 2016, 09:31:07 PM »
Nice to have back up power for sure. Use a conditioner in the fuel and run it every couple months.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: December 06, 2016, 10:04:22 PM »
Yeah....I have the tickler in my phone and adding Stabil tomorrow. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:05:10 PM by Wilbur »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #1893 on: December 06, 2016, 10:10:46 PM »
Catching up here. Let's see:

Snow? No comprende. Texans deal better with zombie apocalypse. It will get down to 26 up in east texas where my weekend/hide is in Thursday night. Had to blow the water out of the irrigation system.

Also put the 5 inch blocks back in theBus and cranked the t bars 3 turns to get it back to where it was when it was aligned.  I'm back to the 2 inch rake. I've been hauling stuff and tired of the sagging arse.

Headed hunting on a friends 6000 acre lease Thursday through Sunday for my 50th.

And Tate. I did the entire suspension on the Bus on stands. But....we don't have rust in texas. 

And yes. Service is dead. It's dead because we don't demand it and aren't willing to pay for it. We gravitate to the lowest price and deal with poor service.  That's true pretty much across the board. 

Hope everyone is well.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:47:39 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: December 07, 2016, 07:46:48 AM »
Good luck on the hunt TRN.....and u know the drill....pics or it never happened!  ;)

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: December 07, 2016, 02:58:10 PM »
Well 72 hours almost to the minute I'm home in one piece.
2400 odd miles, around 700 on polished marble looking ice.
Snow up to a foot deep in places, wind gusting to 60 or better...
Needless to say not much sleep had, but I finally got out of the storm around 02 this morning.
KO'd for a few hours then OM again.

Glad to be home, bed will be so much better than back seat.
Sam

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: December 07, 2016, 03:07:05 PM »
Got a new toy today.....I've needed/wanted a generator for a long time. I dodged the bullets for years as we never lost power over the first 15 years we lived here (maybe 1x for 15 minutes). But then a few years ago left on a business trip and we had no power for a week....the entire week I was in SF. And um yeah it was February or something....cold as can be. The family spent the week in the FR while my son kept the fire burning.

Since then I have needed one. I first called Generac for a standby but the idjit never showed up for the appt. I called Generac and complained and they never called me back. While most times I would say screw them entirely, I find their price and quality compelling.

So I bought this one a week ago. I will be getting and electrician to wire in a plug for me to run the house. Until then if something were to happen I would run cords. But the bottom line is this should save my butt. Of course having bought it I am pretty much guaranteed not to lose power ha!

Anyway....this is the one I got:

http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/xg-series/xg8000e

An XG8000e....the e for electric start. It puts out 8000 kw with 10000 surge. Will run for 9.5 hours on a tank supposedly. I view it like fire insurance. Hope I don't need it but if I do, I will have it.

Got it from electricgeneratorsdirect.com good px, no tax, free shipping. Showed up today in a semi with liftgate. I uncrated it and added the oil, gas, and fired it up. Elec start is nice. ;)

You know, Costco is now carrying the big whole house, permanent installation units

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: December 07, 2016, 04:53:30 PM »
Catching up here. Let's see:

Snow? No comprende. Texans deal better with zombie apocalypse. It will get down to 26 up in east texas where my weekend/hide is in Thursday night. Had to blow the water out of the irrigation system.

Also put the 5 inch blocks back in theBus and cranked the t bars 3 turns to get it back to where it was when it was aligned.  I'm back to the 2 inch rake. I've been hauling stuff and tired of the sagging arse.

Headed hunting on a friends 6000 acre lease Thursday through Sunday for my 50th.

And Tate. I did the entire suspension on the Bus on stands. But....we don't have rust in texas. 

And yes. Service is dead. It's dead because we don't demand it and aren't willing to pay for it. We gravitate to the lowest price and deal with poor service.  That's true pretty much across the board. 

Hope everyone is well.

Good luck on hunt and Happy BIG 50!
Mike

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: December 07, 2016, 04:58:22 PM »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: December 07, 2016, 06:23:50 PM »
I guess I was skim reading.
50!!! Happy birthday.
Enjoy the trip!
Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal