WEAPONS > Gun Control

H.R. 34 Arm the teachers & admins at schools, remove gun free zones

<< < (6/6)

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on March 07, 2018, 10:48:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: longball on March 07, 2018, 08:05:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: cudakidd53 on February 23, 2018, 01:44:31 PM ---...I would want to be trained by FBI/SEALS/US MARSHALLS some group that actually know their stuff and I would want to have to pass such a course with accuracy and stability...

--- End quote ---

Well in many jurisdictions that is exactly what you are going to get in first responders. 

For example. City Of Houston only pays for 50 rounds of ammo per year for each officer to pass qualification.  Any additional shooting is out of their own pocket. Most don’t shoot more than the minimum required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

Fifty...That's a joke
The boys and I went through several hundred the other afternoon at the farm!
I have 400 set aside to work out the bugs and zero my new .300 build.
My security team has drilled for a year with their handguns without firing a single rounds. Rule is" Get it right all the time, then you get to use real cartridges.

I don’t want someone buying a gun, shooting a few rounds 2-3 times a year, passing a minimum standard qualification, then potentially wielding a hot handgun around a room full of kids in a stressful situation.

--- End quote ---

OldKooT:
Funny this subject of firearm training comes up. Personally shooting quite frequently with our local LEO's/fire department, I can say I'd not want to be on the receiving end of that at anything under 40 yards.

In the last two years local PD has hired 4 officers from other states departments. They all failed the "range qualifications" of our local PD multiple times. They also have hired two Vets, who also failed the qualifications more than once..... what this means in reality is, these established LEO's from other departments.... can't shoot as well as my wife who is qualified on both "courses" Interestingly, my wife shoots maybe on average 20 rounds a month. And has a failing eye.....yah

Our fire department is also required to pass the same qualification (with the exception of rifles) and most first responders outside the departments are also qualified.

FWIW our dog catcher is one heck of a shot, she often challenges the Department "men" to quite fierce "target battles" as she calls them. It's a bit amusing to think about, but if the SHTF our dog catcher rolls up, you can be assured she won't likely miss if required to draw. She also doubles as a well armed meter maid... when she isn't chasing stray animals she's always downtown enforcing her parking tickets like a Nazi hell bent on financing the new city aquatics park solely on us "violators"  I donate at least $20 a month .....I never have change.

The above all said, generally speaking I'd still not arm 90% of our schools employees. Grounds keepers, janitors, bus drivers.... sure. Teachers/academics.... sadly can't think of a one I'd hand the safety of children to with a firearm. I am not the only one with that opinion....and I can see some staff changes happening soon due to this very issue.

Last month I got the chance to watch a semi local Military "qualification" ... "hit the barn Gomer"  Ok.... My teenage Daughters could out shoot 90% who qualified... and they are what I'd call Proficient, not by any means as good as I'd like to see them.

cruizng:
I think like most everything in life they would have to posses "WANNA". They WANT to be the person that feels trained and ready to confront an arm subject. They WANT to devote the time and money to continued training and real life situations that improves their skills so they could match up with a Dog Catcher. :)

We should just remove the obstacles and provide the resources to the WANNA's of the world so they can be the first line of defense for the most vulnerable.

Oh yeah.. as well as hardening the schools, locking the doors, having a single point of entry, buzzed in visitors, etc.. all of the other "SENSIBLE" building control ideas.

:grin:

TexasRedNeck:
Best Shatner clip ever.
https://youtu.be/_KvO-8IvoCI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cudakidd53:
DENNY Craine.......!  :grin:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version