Hello Guest

Author Topic: Cowboy holster  (Read 792 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Cowboy holster
« on: February 04, 2024, 11:38:36 AM »
I decided my bear country carry will be the venerable Smith and Wesson 629, .44 Magnum 6"-barrel revolver.

I have a lot of history with this weapon. I purchased a brand new 629 in the Rod and Gun Club in Illeshiem, Germany in 1976, my first handgun purchase. Being a soldier in my early 20's I liked everything about it. I would shoot it on weekends. Later after becoming a pilot and returning to Germany in 1980, I became a "Border Pilot," responsible for patrolling the east German border daily in my Kiowa scout helicopter. I carried that same 629 under my left arm on a shoulder rig for three years there. The commanding General who selected me to be his personal "Border" pilot. used to ask over the intercom, "Hey chief, hand me that hog's head." He liked the idea that his pilot carried a "Dirty Harry" .44 mag. It was all a part of the image the man wanted.

I got into reloading and shoved many super-powerful loads down that fire-breathing barrel. When I would go to the range with some German friends, who don't know squat about guns, that .44 always accompanied us. I sold it when I got into Special Operations like a bonehead and sorely regret ever doing that. Well, I'm going to set things right and get another one.

I carried that gun on range days and some deer hunts in my western rig it has long since disappeared. So, I am about to purchase another rig for it. I'm posting this to see if anyone has any good suggestions.

I have found some I really like on Ebay. I want that drop leg design, 2.5" belt width. hammer loop and a bunch of cartridge loops. I want smooth leather on the inside but being a stainless weapon am not concerned with holster rash. I will wear it around camp and hiking on my coming NW adventures into bear country.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 11:39:25 AM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cowboy holster
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 05:23:49 PM »
I would also consider a chest rig as a possible switch out or a cross draw.  You could use the same belt for the CD.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 05:25:07 PM by Atkinsmatt »
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 08:50:24 PM »
I use a cross draw and a chest rig for my single shot 14”single shot pistol. I like the chest rig setup a bit better cause it is up out of the way better when going through the brush.
I do think you guys are being a bit over concerned about being part of a grizzly encounter. Yes there are bears in the area you are headed but if you keep the camp cleaned up and and food properly taken care of, your chances of bear problems goes down considerably. Yes I have friends who were hunting in bear country the same time salmon were running in the streams. And yes they had game hanging in camp and yes there was a bear problem. But don’t think you will have any of those conditions.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 10:16:48 AM »
I use a cross draw and a chest rig for my single shot 14”single shot pistol. I like the chest rig setup a bit better cause it is up out of the way better when going through the brush.
I do think you guys are being a bit over concerned about being part of a grizzly encounter. Yes there are bears in the area you are headed but if you keep the camp cleaned up and and food properly taken care of, your chances of bear problems goes down considerably. Yes I have friends who were hunting in bear country the same time salmon were running in the streams. And yes they had game hanging in camp and yes there was a bear problem. But don’t think you will have any of those conditions.
I think this also
But Kat is convinced it is a 50/50 probability of being eaten by a grizzly. I have never been concerned about bears in the past. But I will honor her concerns. I already have a 12-gauge handy at (any) camp, park, or otherwise. A simple switch to slugs sets that up for campsite excitement. Buying and reconnecting with a 629 is like reconnecting with my roots. I want to do it more than I need to if you get my drift. Will love having that big .44 on my hip again.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 01:01:36 PM »
My cowboy holster came from these guys. Outstanding quality!

https://epsaddlery.com/
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 06:05:45 PM »

Checked them out...No bueno on S&W

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 07:10:57 PM »
No pic of the gun itself? I like shoulder holsters too.

I carried a hand me down 1991 commander when I hunt.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 08:47:39 AM »
No pic of the gun itself? I like shoulder holsters too.

I carried a hand me down 1991 commander when I hunt.
Well, no "gun itself" yet. Haven't purchased yet.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 09:32:14 AM »
https://www.simplyrugged.com/

Try this guy, he doesn’t have much of a personality but he knows his stuff and his product is top notch. I have quite a bit of his stuff for a few different guns, he makes stuff for low production guns even I’ve found.

I ordered a holster for my bfr in 45-70. Come to think of it maybe that’s what you should buy? They make a shorty version in a 4” barrel even! Anyhow he knew enough to have me check actual barrel length as he put it “those guys can’t read a tape measure” and he was right they can’t….

https://www.magnumresearch.com/american-rifleman-ballistic-gel-test-magnum-research-thunder-snub-in-45-70-govt/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 09:33:41 AM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 11:39:12 AM »

Checked them out...No bueno on S&W

That sucks! They do beautiful work, and have been around as a small business for almost 100 years.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal