Hello Guest

Author Topic: Clear plastic on a shelter  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Clear plastic on a shelter
« on: January 19, 2017, 06:01:40 PM »
So this weekend was cold weather training for my SAR team. Not that cold as it was about 20-25 degrees or so. We hiked 2/3 of the way up a small mountain and then in a clearing we broke up into teams to build shelters. The guy I was with showed me something I had never seen before and it works like a charm, and I wanted to pass it on.

We made a "diamond" shaped shelter with my tarp/tent with three corners anchored and the last one tied to a tree. Then we had a fire a couple of feet from the opening. The tarp tent is pretty sturdy and is aluminized or something on the in-side so it reflects heat pretty well.

Well (and this is the part I was glad to learn)....he had some 3 mil plastic....just a cheapo type drop cloth plastic he grabbed at Home Depot. Well he laid that over the opening we had and got one edge held down tight....so we had a clear "flap" as an entry way. I was amazed at how warm it got inside there. The heat passed through that clear plastic so easily...and no wind loss. He had a "space blanket" on the floor of it as well and it was toasty warm in there in absolutely no time. Definitely would be a great way to shelter someone out of the wind/cold/rain and keep them warm.

Plus the plastic is cheap, you can get them at Wally World or HD/Lowes very easily. If you haven't done it (maybe you guys all knew this anyway!  :embarrassed: ) I would urge you to give it a whirl.....good for teaching kids too. Just thought I would pass that along.   

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Clear plastic on a shelter
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 06:55:28 PM »
So this weekend was cold weather training for my SAR team. Not that cold as it was about 20-25 degrees or so. We hiked 2/3 of the way up a small mountain and then in a clearing we broke up into teams to build shelters. The guy I was with showed me something I had never seen before and it works like a charm, and I wanted to pass it on.

We made a "diamond" shaped shelter with my tarp/tent with three corners anchored and the last one tied to a tree. Then we had a fire a couple of feet from the opening. The tarp tent is pretty sturdy and is aluminized or something on the in-side so it reflects heat pretty well.

Well (and this is the part I was glad to learn)....he had some 3 mil plastic....just a cheapo type drop cloth plastic he grabbed at Home Depot. Well he laid that over the opening we had and got one edge held down tight....so we had a clear "flap" as an entry way. I was amazed at how warm it got inside there. The heat passed through that clear plastic so easily...and no wind loss. He had a "space blanket" on the floor of it as well and it was toasty warm in there in absolutely no time. Definitely would be a great way to shelter someone out of the wind/cold/rain and keep them warm.

Plus the plastic is cheap, you can get them at Wally World or HD/Lowes very easily. If you haven't done it (maybe you guys all knew this anyway!  :embarrassed: ) I would urge you to give it a whirl.....good for teaching kids too. Just thought I would pass that along.   
I always just warmed up in the exhaust of a turbine engine at idle that was not connected to a jet ;-)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 07:14:12 PM »

I always just warmed up in the exhaust of a turbine engine at idle that was not connected to a jet ;-)

Dunno if I can get that to fit in my pack but I'll give it a whirl.....

See what I did there.....

:wink:  :rolleyes:

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 09:11:41 PM »
No, but if that sucker crashed he might be more interested in the topic.
Living in the wet side of Wa but spend the winter in AZ
2024 GMC AT4 3500.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 10:34:14 PM »
I remember seeing something like this on that show Dual Survival. Looked like a neat trick, glad to hear that it works in the real world too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal