Hello Guest

Author Topic: The Bus  (Read 110268 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: The Bus
« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2016, 09:00:14 PM »
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:01:25 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 11, 2016, 11:33:33 PM »
OK, so I figured out that the bars are the GL Bars, 15528966 and 15528965

Thanks JR.  I've been looking at the same chart, but just figured out that the last 3 digits were what were stamped on the end.

I ordered them, new bump stops, a new sway bar, mounts and bushings, a new boot for the front drive shaft yoke, and brake pads.

That about rounds out the rest of the parts.

Should be able to get this thing rolling in a week or two, then it will be on to the waterpump...

Koot, Since most of mine spend their time on the pavement, I've never had to test your experience.  Ball joints and idler arms seem to be the only weak spots and they have lasted about 75-100K on mine that werent lifted.  The hub bearings are a known problem too.

Lifted trucks are just tougher on stuff.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 11, 2016, 11:51:53 PM »
Noob question here... What is the function of the idler arm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 11, 2016, 11:57:52 PM »
It's the mate for the pitman arm, but on the passenger side of the center link. Basically holds the center link up/in place on the pass side, where the pitman does that on the d/s by way of the steering box.

Make sense?
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 12, 2016, 12:04:46 AM »
Ahh ok, thanks. Probably could have googled that, but then you guys would be bored

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2016, 08:16:46 PM »

So the idler supports the other end of the centerlink which allows the tie rods to move in unison when the pitman(steering) is moved by the gear box
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 14, 2016, 08:51:41 PM »
Got it. Kind of a funky name for the part and its function

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 15, 2016, 10:42:40 AM »
It's a passive steering component that sits "idly" until moved by the pittman arm and steering box.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Bus
« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2016, 08:52:02 PM »
Ok. New torsion bars came in late Friday. They are the GL 8782 lb bars. Worked on it today. Got the torsion bar crossmember mounted, new timken hubs installed in the new knuckles, new upper control arms and new cam bolts installed, Kryptonite steering linkage , torsion bars installed, CV shafts, and got the brakes back on for test fitting the wheels.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:55:20 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Bus
« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2016, 08:58:22 PM »
More pics

I still have to put new brake lines on, torque a few fasteners , put my IC pipe back on, put the inner fender back on, bleed steering system, rough adjust the steering, get lower shock mounts, install sway bar and end links, and adjust the torsion bars. The way it sits now is with negative CV angles. The torsion adjuster bolts are not installed.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 09:14:03 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 16, 2016, 09:59:55 PM »
I think it looks better now than it did before. But, I've never really been a fan of excessive lifts.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2016, 10:11:14 PM »
I agree with Bobby, that truck looks like it could now be used for something besides getting stuck in shopping mall landscaping...... ::)
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 16, 2016, 10:13:22 PM »
I agree with Bobby, that truck looks like it could now be used for something besides getting stuck in shopping mall landscaping...... ::)

Yup. Personal opinion anything past 4-6" is a waste, as you won't be lifting anything in the bed.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 16, 2016, 10:17:15 PM »
That's the plan. It's 9 inches lower in the front than before. It will come up about 2-3 inches when I get the torsion bar adjuster bolts in it. Looks like I will need new tires and wheels as well to get the fit right. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished and I'm going to bet it rides much better.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Bus
« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2016, 10:23:07 PM »
Measurements compared to those on page 3

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 10:25:37 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
The Bus
« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2016, 11:11:50 PM »
I even think those tire and wheels will work to.  Large fender mod and your in business

Raising boys into RealMen!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 11:59:24 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 17, 2016, 01:34:29 AM »
Sure looks good. I really have to get to mine.

That steering looks beefy for sure. Does it have anything like the cognito upgrades to keep the crossover from twisting?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 17, 2016, 07:40:40 AM »
Thanks JR,  it is the straight centerlink from Kryptonite.  Should not roll. It came with the cognito PISK, but given how beefy this is and how I plan to use it I probably won't use it.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 17, 2016, 10:47:28 AM »
Looks much better my friend...except for the wheels. The word I would use to describe that offset? Redunkulous.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 17, 2016, 11:56:50 AM »
I found those classic style Pro-Comp wheels with the 4.75 BS to fit about right. Will tuck a bunch more inside (Without knowing your modified front track).
I was thinking of trading out wheels with the coming tire change, but I decided to just keep the wheels, however coat them with something...(Concrete?? Asphalt??)

Looks much better and sturdier TRN! Good workmanship!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2016, 12:30:31 PM »
No matter how stout the centerlink is, it will roll in a typical GM way. Use the kit.

When I was looking for my lift, I found a few that only pushed the front wheels out 1/4-1/2, hence I got the Cognito kit.

I think a tad wide in the front is fine as it narrows, the rear I like flush. 

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 19, 2016, 09:16:25 PM »
So latest update.  Torqued all the steering linkage and tried to rough the camber. Adjusted the torsion bars to mimick the CV angles of my bone stock LML, which brought the hub to fender measurement to 29 and gave me about 2 inches of rake similar to a factory truck. I don't want Cali lean when I load it down.

Still have to bleed the air from the new steering box and install the new brakelines and flush and bleed the system.  Also have to install the bump stops and other stuff.  Anyone guess what is in the wrapped package?  Thats the new sway bar.  Hard to tell that...

I also disassembled the front shaft and removed all the paint and grease.  Will get it primed and painted and new joints installed (thanks Tate!) and install the new shaft to transfer case boot

It looks more and more like new wheels and tires....so...I measured wheels and they are 10 inch wide with 4.24 back space. Found some Mayhem wheels I like. That are 20x9 with 5.7 backspace. Thinking 11.5 inch wide 35 inch tall tires. Maybe nitto terra grapplers. That along with 1.5 inch Fred Goeske spacers in back should make it respectable again.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:28:59 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 19, 2016, 09:56:24 PM »
      For the record that front fender measurement is a 7 inch reduction from the old lift.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 19, 2016, 11:58:09 PM »
Is that 29 from the ground?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 20, 2016, 01:40:39 AM »

Is that 29 from the ground?

Hub to fender he said
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 20, 2016, 09:20:27 AM »
The word I would use to describe that offset? Redunkulous.
I think the English language has a new word.

Looks good RN. Never really looked that closely to 'real' pictures of the Kryptonite stuff. Some serious parts there.

I'm in the garage currently getting ball joints looked at. Been lucky with tie rods so far, but may need to look at this for next time round. I know it's a matter of time before it all needs done again. Only once complete so far, so I'll be due again one of these days.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 20, 2016, 10:28:21 AM »
Like the new wheel choice........reminds me of the Bat-mobile!  8)
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 20, 2016, 10:39:59 AM »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 20, 2016, 10:43:05 AM »
Can we get a side view of the whole vehicle?

You may be on to the optimum setup of versatility vs off-road ability. Not too tall, but out of the Wait-a-minute stumps and things

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 20, 2016, 08:36:44 PM »
The word I would use to describe that offset? Redunkulous.
I think the English language has a new word.

Looks good RN. Never really looked that closely to 'real' pictures of the Kryptonite stuff. Some serious parts there.

I'm in the garage currently getting ball joints looked at. Been lucky with tie rods so far, but may need to look at this for next time round. I know it's a matter of time before it all needs done again. Only once complete so far, so I'll be due again one of these days.

I would suggest redneckulous as an alternate spelling

Like the new wheel choice........reminds me of the Bat-mobile!  8)

Oh wow.  Never saw that before.  You are right. 

Can we get a side view of the whole vehicle?

You may be on to the optimum setup of versatility vs off-road ability. Not too tall, but out of the Wait-a-minute stumps and things

Its coming, be patient.  You'll have a full picture before the Square D drives down the road on its own power.... Sorry couldn't resist.

I hope to be able to pull it out of the shop this weekend for a few pics.  Hope to get the swaybar, bumptstops, front drive shaft, brake lines and bleeding the steering and brakes done.  That would leave the waterpump and new wheels and tires to be complete.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 20, 2016, 10:55:23 PM »
Rog

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 20, 2016, 11:57:47 PM »
I'd accept the alternate spelling!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 21, 2016, 02:18:59 AM »
Whats SD?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 21, 2016, 09:29:16 AM »
I think it's this JR:     D^2
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 21, 2016, 03:50:03 PM »
Whats SD?

Ohhh. Shots fired...again!
Sam

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 21, 2016, 04:02:34 PM »
Been to quiet around here, including me.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 21, 2016, 04:09:28 PM »
Give Don a rest, he's buying bread, fuel, TP, beef sticks........He's in the path of "Snowmagedon" so he's stocking up! 

Cant wait to see Manhattan struggle under 2 feet of snow, Obama's motorcade couldn't drive with a dusting, so thinking this might keep him still for a few days with his phone, pen.......what could possibly go wrong!  Someone should send him a copy of "13 Hours" to help him pass the time!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 12:10:43 AM by nmeyer414 »

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2016, 05:09:32 PM »
Maybe his date for the movie could be Hillary,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 21, 2016, 10:19:02 PM »
When the hell did 2 feet of snow stop the world. We used to get that in Utah on the regular and we never had snow days or car issues.     

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 21, 2016, 10:30:58 PM »
Maybe his date for the movie could be Hillary,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Don't let Ken know he'll be jealous.....

Online Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 21, 2016, 10:46:50 PM »
Snowed in with crazy uncle Joe.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 21, 2016, 10:52:11 PM »
Snowed in with crazy uncle Joe.

Well at least maybe the snow will keep him from skinny dipping in the pool for awhile........ ::)

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 22, 2016, 01:55:31 AM »
I remember driving to Minn from Ca for Christmas once and it was a whiteout just past Salt lake with 6-8 inches on the road the rest of the way. driving my old 77 GM 1500 and only got passed by 2 cars. One was a big old tank with what I think was front wheel drive (Olds?) and a little sprts car that went into the ditch right after it passed me. Troopers just parked and watched the fun for much of the trip. 2100 miles in 40 hours solo I was a little younger,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 22, 2016, 09:19:23 AM »
I remember driving to Minn from Ca for Christmas once and it was a whiteout just past Salt lake with 6-8 inches on the road the rest of the way. driving my old 77 GM 1500 and only got passed by 2 cars. One was a big old tank with what I think was front wheel drive (Olds?) and a little sprts car that went into the ditch right after it passed me. Troopers just parked and watched the fun for much of the trip. 2100 miles in 40 hours solo I was a little younger,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

That explains why you have big knuckles.......grip the wheel that hard for that long and permanent calcification sets in........ ;)  I remember driving in the snow around So. IL heading to MO. with my father driving one of the first GM Diesel P/U in a 1500 2WD, pulling a open car trailer (empty) and doing a 360 into the right ditch and out and on down the road without stopping......he has sausage hands and knuckles too....so remember the lasting effects aren't just in the BVD's!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 22, 2016, 10:43:32 AM »
Give Don a rest, he's buying bread, fuel, TP, beef sticks........He's in the path of "Snowmagedon" so he's stocking up! 

Cant wait to see Manhattan struggle under 2 feet of snow, Obama's motorcade couldn't drive with a dusting, so thinking this might keep him still for a few days with his phone, pen.......what could possibly go wrong!  Someone should send him a copy of "13 Hours" to help him pass the time!
Actually I am going to Cosco to pick up some crab meat...I'm cooking for friends Saturday night!

OldKooT

« Reply #245 on: January 22, 2016, 11:37:22 AM »
Our plans for Sat night are to shoot some Coyotes with the .458 for science.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 22, 2016, 11:51:37 AM »
ROTFL Koot!  Like my buddy who shot a turkey with a 375H&H....beak and feet

I have a 460Wby Mag but I only take it out of the safe when I need to scare myself,  IIRC 115 grains of powder behind a 400gn Barnes pushing 2700fps.  No muzzle brake.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 06:16:05 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 22, 2016, 12:01:15 PM »
Hunting dear awhile back and chipmunk was about 20ft away from my cover doing his alert call for about 20 min. He met Mr. 7mm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 22, 2016, 01:42:17 PM »
ROTFL Koot!  Like my buddy who shot a turkey with a 375H&H....beak and feet

I have a 460Wby Mag but I only take it out of the sage when I need to scare myself,  IIRC 115 grains of powder behind a 400gn Barnes pushing 2700fps.  No muzzle break.
Don't to affix your Artillery Corps insignia to your collar before pulling the lanyard on that thing...oh, perhaps a heads up to both the emergency room and your chiropractor as well!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 22, 2016, 03:39:56 PM »
good lord RN, who certified you to shoot that big ol arty piece?!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal