Hello Guest

Author Topic: CIEMR: Credit scores  (Read 579 times)

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
CIEMR: Credit scores
« on: April 08, 2022, 11:40:47 AM »
Credit Scores: How important do you think they are?
I recently decided to change up the way I use money.

For many years I was always cautious to keep a bunch of credit accounts active. I did it to keep my credit score very high, which it has pretty much, always been. But one day I started to add up the amount in finance charges I was paying just to maintain that lofty score. It turned out to be a lot. Enough to simply pay cash for something big, like a short block for my Suburban.

That's when I decided to change my tact completely. Finally taking the advice of Dave Ramsey, I decided to just payoff  everything and just make pure cash purchases. I began the process last year.

So one by one, I'd pick out an account, then simply pay it off. I maintain a healthy income, even in retirement, so it wasn't all that difficult. But something interesting started happening. As I paid off successive accounts, my credit score would drop. It would later start to recover, but then I'd pay another one off, and I'd be down again.

Mind you, I never missed anything, nor was late, nor defaulted. The only thing I did was to start to make huge payments. If I would have, for example, a payment on the wife's Honda Talon, I'd make a $5,000 payment in lieu of the monthly one of $396. My credit report would post a note showing that my balance had decreased with Honda, but the FICO score remained the same. Then when I'd pay it off altogether the following month, my score would drop 6 points!

So I got fed up with doing the right thing and getting dinged by it so I started really taking big bites out of all my remaining debt. Two months ago I got pi$$ed at the "unfairness" of the system and paid off three of my remaining  accounts leaving me with only a car and a tractor payment. As a result my credit score dropped 31 points, to one of the lowest scores ever!

I'm in better shape than ever with the lowest score I have seen in decades!

Think about it. I reduced my debt substantially and made myself financially healthier than ever, and killed my credit by doing it! Bad thing, right? Killing one's credit score? Thinking about it, I don't think so. Because now I am in a position to  simply pay cash for anything we might need or want!

But the "system" doesn't like me doing that.

It seems that the credit system only works to your benefit if you stay in debt. Isn't that curious! Seems as though by reducing debt load you create more personal freedom. The powers to be do not like that very much and punish you. But in the same breath, I don't really need credit all that much any longer.

I buckled down for a good chunk of my life and actually paid cash for my farm, so I don't need credit to buy a place. When we sell our current home, and after paying off the balance, we should have enough cash left over to build a modest home on our farm for cash. So no need for a mortgage there, nope, we'll just pay for it.

This system we have is all about controlling people. Stay in debt and we'll reward you with the ability to carry even more debt. And while you're getting a bigger credit score with, likely an increasing debt load, the interest you pay monthly is enslaving you. It is stealing your ability to pay off that mountain of debt.

That's good according to our system and on and on you go subject to a mountain of debt while living in a country which has regulated away a good portion of the rest of your so called freedoms.

The American Dream?...Or is it something else?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: CIEMR: Credit scores
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 12:27:23 PM »
We have found the best way to control the credit score is to use our three credit cards for most purchases but, pay off in full each month. One card for fuel purchases, one card for general use around town, and one card for online use. Easier to watch for unauthorized use. For us, the credit score lowers if we close a credit card account. If we decide we don't want the card anymore we destroy it but the account is still in place.
I really don't care if credit score drops a bit because I closed an account, but lots of businesses use the credit score in figuring the cost of products I buy, and I don't feel that is right for anyone. If they use credit scores to figure interest charges fine, but for initial cost of a product?

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 03:04:14 PM »
Interesting, Bob!

Sounds like a gimmick charging more based on credit score.

Makes me wonder when we get charged more if we are in the wrong political party, or the wrong race or whatever other discriminator they can come up with

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 04:35:10 PM »
one of the abuses of figuring cost around credit score has been our auto insurance.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 06:20:32 PM »
Yeah,  I haven’t quite got it figured out.  I’m on a cash basis all around except a small balance on the main house.

When I did a refi recently, to lower my interest, my score was fine but the comment section said it would have been higher if I had lower balances on my credit cards.  Which is funny since I put everything on two credit cards and pay them in full each month.  Have for years.  Enough that 2% cash back on one card that goes into my daughters 529 has 80,000 in it and Ive never supplemented it with a payment.  So they only see you have “X” on the card balance.  Not that you never paid interest or carried a balance over.

I’ve learned to use the system against them.  I’ve never paid a dime in interest on that credit card but have 80k for college.  And the only reason to keep a balance on the main house is to get the tax write off for the interest deduction and I can earn more in the market than the 2.2% interest on the loan.

It’s a vicious system and it takes sacrifice but getting out of debt not only feels good but also to know you arent feeding the beast.

Like I explained to my daughters, you either pay people to use their money or they pay you to use yours.  It’s that simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 09:18:38 PM »
Indeed, just that simple

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2022, 08:29:13 AM »
We have experienced a lot of what you have Charles with company cards,   They look at the credit score and company debt mid month see $$$$$ but don’t know the company moves money on the 28th to pay the balance off.  Took finally talking to a bank manager who finally gave the company a brake on things after looking at the year to year transaction history.

Cc debt free sounds nice. We are just not there yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 02:10:05 PM »
Men, take a look at my facebook page response to this. Lots of feedback and from what I can see most Christian folks in the second half of their lives are debt free or nearing that point.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal