Hello Guest

Author Topic: 5.56/.223 reloading  (Read 1522 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
5.56/.223 reloading
« on: September 21, 2019, 11:22:26 AM »
Since a lot of us shoot and potentially reload the ubiquitous 5.56 (that word was on my Redneck Word Power Calendar as the Word of the Day), I thought I would start a thread about my reloading adventures.

When I started shooting 5.56, you could buy 1000 rounds of mil surp Lake City for $176.  Not so much now which makes reloading a more cost effective endeavor.

For me, 5.56 is a volume play and not an accuracy play.  I’m not weighing and sorting bass and experimenting with seating depths etc.  It’s “minute of scumbag” accurate and good enough for me.  Generally I aim to duplicate the ballistics of factory military ammo like M193 in 55gn and M855 in 62gn.

[/b]Let’s start with a disclaimer:  My loads and my advice are worth just what you are paying for it, meaning nothing.  Consult your own reloading manuals and technical data.  Reloading is dangerous and I’m not responsible for you blowing yourself up or losing an eye.  My recipes and techniques work for me and I’m sharing for the general good.  Use common sense and if you don’t have any, don’t reload. Buy factory ammo, save your brass and send it to me.[/b]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
5.56/.223 reloading
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 11:50:15 AM »
So lets start with the basics.  You’ll need a minimum level of equipment and there is really no limit to what you can spend if you want to load a lot of ammo very quickly.

1. A reloading press:  There are several good quality press makers and if you are just getting started a single stage press can be had very inexpensively.  Check estate and garage sales because when old guys pass, their family has no idea what that stuff is and what to do with it.  RCBS, LEE, Forster and others make good single stage presses.  By single stage, I mean you perform one function at a time and process your brass through several times performing different functions.  More on that later.

This is a Forster co ax single stage I use for precision rifle. One die at a time goes in it and you perform one function of a series on all the brass before changing dies and performing the next function.

This is a Dillon 650 progressive press. It holds all the dies and moves the case from one die to the next until the entire loading process is complete.
2. Dies.  These are the metal forming, processing pieces used with the press to perform the basic functions like punch out the spent primer, re-size the brass, bell the mouth, seat the bullet, crimp, etc.  These are caliber specific and you’ll need a set for each caliber you reload.  They aren’t real expensive, but get the best you can.  Carbide dies are more expensive but are lifetime service items and really helpful for high volume loading on cartridges like the 5.56. Again RCBS, Lee, Dillon and others make good dies.  For extreme precision there are micrometer dies that allow for extremely small adjustments of bullet seating but that’s not necessary unless you are bench rest competing or trying to wring every last ounce of accuracy from a weapon.
this is a Lee set for 44 cal. Upper left is depriving and sizing. Then the belling (pistol cases need to be opened up just a few thousand to allow the bullet to set on the case and get pushed in). The. Then the seating die which pushes the bullet into the case at just the right depth. Then the crimp which removes the bell and crimps the case to the bullet to hold it securely.
3. Tumblers:  to clean brass you will need to tumble it in some media.  There are a lot of different types of tumblers and media,with the most basic being a vibratory tumbler with walnut shell or corn Cobb media.  Others include barrel tumblers and there are even wet media tumblers that use stainless steel pins in a liquid solution to process brass.  All have pros and cons.  Just remember that tumbling can produce dust which has lead in it so try no to do it indoors and keep the kids away from it.   There are de-leading soaps and wipes you can keep around as a good idea.  More on that under accessories.

this is the Thumlers Tumbler. Used for polishing rocks or tumbling brass. It’s the Cadillac of rotary tumblers.  Vibratory tumblers are cheap but again be aware of dust.
4. Accessories.  Like most hobbies the possibilities are endless but there are some that are really good to have.

Media separators. When you finish tumbling bass you want to sift the media from the brass, and this device will help you do that.  You can also make your own from a bottomless wooden box and hardware cloth if you are so inclined.

Organizing trays:  Being organized and neat will save you a lot of headaches and reduce the likelihood of making a mistake.  Trays will allow you to place your brass upright and hold them in place as you finish a step on the press.

Various storage bins and labels help you keep your stuff organized so you don’t get confused about which primers are which and whatnot.

Primer flipping tray: this help you get all the primers facing the same direction to make it easier to prime.  It’s tough turning all those over by hand.

Shake and magically all the primers land backside up. Set cover in place and flip and you have a tray of primers ready for priming.
Powder funnels: This is a caliber specific tool that fits snugly over the most of the cartridge and allows the pouring of powder into the cartridge case without spilling.

This one is made by Frankford arsenal.
5. Tools: you will need to be able to measure things very accurately.  I suggest a good set of dial/digital calipers at a minimum.  You can also buy various pre made gauges that measure case length, and whether your resized cartridge will chamber.  I recommend a caliber specific gauge for rifle cases that will help you set the sizing dies accurately.  You’ll also need various wrenches to tighten and adjust dies.

Powder scale.  Very very important.  The RCBS 10-10 manual beam scale is the gold standard of manual scales and are very reasonable.  Get one, read the manual and learn how to use it accurately. If you start to push the envelope of a cartridge (hot loads) you will want to be very accurate as a few tenths of a grain error can spell BOOM really quickly.  I have both an electronic powder dispenser and a beam scale and I always double check them against each other just to make sure.

Powder thrower.  These are cool little devices that allow you to set a volume of powder to be dispensed via an adjustment and then every time you pull the lever it dispenses the same amount of powder.  Very useful and just remember to periodically check the weights being thrown on a scale.

6. Reloading manuals.  Don’t take advice from dumb rednecks on the internet.  Manuals are produced by bullet manufacturers and have well tested loads under very controlled conditions for you to use in your development of a recipe.  They’ll give you starting and maximum loads for each bullet and various recommended powders.  Don’t make stuff up.  Use the manuals.  They aren’t that expensive ($25-$30).  They also list cartridge specs and overall lengths that will help you set your dies up correctly.

I’ll get some photos of my equipment and edit shortly.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 04:39:57 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 5.56/.223 reloading
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 12:35:22 PM »
Hmmm, made me think...

MJI

(Minimal Junkin' Initiative)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 12:36:49 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 03:31:38 PM »
Nice write up Charles
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 06:06:42 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 06:26:07 PM »

So tested a few loads today. A chronograph is an invaluable tool to assist in load development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 07:19:34 PM »
Nice write up Charles  :likebutton:

I ordered some powder today and picked up a few small rifle primers again via a local auction my buddy was attending.

Middle child leaves for college in 9 days and oldest moves out in 15 days so we’ll be playing musical bedrooms. Youngest gets best bedroom and wife and I each get a project room so all my equipment will be getting setup shortly.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 07:26:07 AM »
Great write up

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 05:30:32 PM »
 :likebutton: :likebutton:
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
5.56/.223 reloading
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 07:25:48 PM »
So now that we’ve talked about tools let’s start with the basics. Brass prep for 5.56

Starts with visual inspection of the brass. Looking for cracks, bulges splits etc.

Then tumble to clean using your choice of tumbler and media.

Then it’s time to de prime and size

For 5.56 once fired mil brass it’s impossible to process all in one pass( though some say a 1050 can do it with 8 stations).   I set up a separate tool head on my Dillon 650 just for prep and the a separate tool head for loading.

This run of tumbled brass goes through the de priming and sizing die and then through the trim die.  Rifle brass, especially if its shot from an auto loader or full auto tends to stretch more.

So I make it a point to trim to length during the first pass. It also helps make sure all the ammo is consistent.

The Dillion RT trimmer trims to length with a cuttter as the brass is inserted.  There is a hose for a vacuum attachment to catch the shavings.

When it comes out of this pass it’s been tumbled, de primed, sized and trimmed to length.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 08:54:13 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
5.56/.223 reloading
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 09:38:50 PM »
A case gauge is a must have. You use it to set the sizing die and trim length. Start with setting the sizing die.  The lower you screw the die into the tool head the tighter the sizing. Using the gauge check how deep the case sits.  There is a groove.  If it sits above the top of the groove the die needs to be adjusted down.  If it sits too low, below the bottom of the groove, adjust the die up and toss that case.

Once that is set you can adjust the trim die so that the top of the case sits no higher than the highest part of the case gauge or lower than the lowest part.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 09:41:58 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 10:48:05 PM »
So now that you’ve got a ton of fully prepped brass its time to get loading.  How and what you do here is dependent on what you are loading for.

I still like 55gn ball, M193 especially since I doubt I’ll use an AR beyond 100 or 200 yards.  In all likelihood it will be 25-75 yards.

I also like 62 gn tungsten core M855 as well.

So my first step to trying to recreate standard velocity ammo so terminal performance and trajectory tables didn’t vary greatly, was to get some known factory loaded M193 and M855 and shoot it over a chronograph to aid in development of a quality reload recipe.

I used a 16LMT monolithic upper and use that consistently for ammo development so the results are all relative.

Shortly I will show the chrono data used as a starting point.

And while its not necessary, I invested in ballistic software that helps model internal ballistics, powder burn rates, and muzzle velocity.  The software is Quick Load and I highly recommend it, although it does tend to be a bit on the conservative side (which you would imagine with liability of loading too hot)

It has quite the bullet and powder library to choose from an allows adjustments to things like seating depth/COAL, barrel length etc.

If you develop loads its a very useful tool without listening to some dumb redneck on a website talk about his “favorite recipe”

https://www.neconos.com/category/Software-2

Added bonus is that once you develop your load you can export to Quick Target for external ballistics and trajectory tables to help you dial in long distance loads, wind drift, etc.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 11:39:46 PM »
Great info  :likebutton:
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
5.56/.223 reloading
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 09:58:06 PM »
Oh just because.

Of course those familiar will note the powder is a pistol powder but more on that later
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 09:18:08 AM by TexasRedNeck »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal