Hello Guest

Author Topic: Powder Coating  (Read 3507 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Powder Coating
« on: October 19, 2019, 06:17:26 PM »
So a while back I bought a HF media blast cabinet and a used oven off CL to get into powder coating.  The HF cabinet has been nothing but trouble from day one. It simply would not suction the media and my compressor was producing a lot of water because of the humidity.

So I added a transmission cooler to the compressor along with an automatic draining water separator. It works wonders for reducing water in the lines.

And after a lot of research I bought a TP tools Scat media blaster gun and pick up tube which has a Siamese tube with a vent to allow air to enter and help the flow of media.

Today I got it all installed and out some new glass bead media in it and it flows really well. The only issue is that I can tell to do any real work on pieces of any size I’m gonna need to step up the compressor to a 5-7hp twin. I sized the nozzle for my compressor and my compressor keeps up but it just doesn’t have the volume necessary to really get pieces done quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 06:19:14 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Powder Coating
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 06:22:48 PM »
Might consider larger bulk storage of air, we’ve added tanks and also large diameter line around perimeter of shop to help in that regards in the past.

I’ve currently got a neighbor who doesn’t mind blasting stuff for beer. However he is moving at end of next year so I may have to buy a cabinet and setup....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 06:25:48 PM »
So my first project is to strip and powder coat the lanterns on the front porch.  I thought about just buying new ones but at more than $600 each ....no thanks.

I completely disassembled them and pulled all the wiring and sockets out. The have a very excellent primer base which may be powder coat. The metallic finish on them has uv faded pretty bad in 10 years.

So I started media blasting with glass
Beads instead of aluminum oxide since the lanterns are made of aluminum and I didn’t want to eat away at the aluminum.

It took nearly an hour to do this one piece which is the bottom and much smaller than the top piece.   

The finish came off easy but to get the primer coat off down to the bare metal was very time consuming.

I’m going to consider using aircraft paint stripper and see if that cuts down on the labor. If it takes all the paint and primer off them I can media blast for finish and any residual paint or primer.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 06:28:09 PM »
Once I get it stripped and blasted I’ll break out the powder gun and get it coated and baked.

I need to order the oil rubbed bronze powder

Offline hammer7896

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 09:31:56 PM »
TP tools is only about a half hour from me. Pretty neat place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 08:42:48 PM »
so after much reading on powdercoating aluminum, I'm not sure if I need to primer first.  One site talks about phosphate wash to stop the oxidation and then primer and then powder.  Looking into it.

Ordered primer powder and finish powder and stopped by Sherwin Williams to get the paint stripper

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 02:33:45 AM »
What size AC do you have?

My HF works ok and there are fixes like the items you bought.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 06:34:02 AM »
30 gal 2.5hp single cylinder

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 10:33:00 AM »
No crap, I am going to nominate Tex for the DEOE award

(Definitive expert on everything)

I mean, folks, have you ever seen this texas boy get into anything that he didn't master? That he didn't finish to a degree that is professional or beyond? That isn't over the top?

From plasterin' to floorin', from cookin' to shootin', from hide sitein' to campin', and from general counsel to the subtle nudge...This one fella purdy much does it all

Can I get an ah-men?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 10:33:57 AM »
No crap

Strike that

Should read:

No schiff,...

;-)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 12:00:06 PM »
30 gal 2.5hp single cylinder

That needs an upgrade for sure. Way to small for any blasting.

I went with 80gal 5hp which has kept up fine, but still needs a dryer.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 02:41:02 PM »

I mean, folks, have you ever seen this texas boy get into anything that he didn't master? That he didn't finish to a degree that is professional or beyond? That isn't over the top?

From plasterin' to floorin', from cookin' to shootin', from hide sitein' to campin', and from general counsel to the subtle nudge...This one fella purdy much does it all

Can I get an ah-men?
But I suck at golf.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 04:07:43 PM »
The problem with powder coating AL is it out gasses during cure, you can help by prebaking but you still might end up with very small bubbles in the finish.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 05:16:35 PM »

Can I get an ah-men?
But I suck at golf.

^^^ Humble, too!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 06:23:48 AM »
The problem with powder coating AL is it out gasses during cure, you can help by prebaking but you still might end up with very small bubbles in the finish.
Thanks Phil.   I also read that pre treating with some phosphate wash converts the surface chemically that keeps the “white rust” away.  Any experience with that?  Trying to find out more about it and a suitable product for home use.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 03:34:52 PM »
Thanks Phil.   I also read that pre treating with some phosphate wash converts the surface chemically that keeps the “white rust” away.  Any experience with that?  Trying to find out more about it and a suitable product for home use.

No not typically, usually we just use an a metal prep like Aluma Prep or Simple green/Brulin very good rinse and then prebake, out of oven spray powder and right back in the oven.  The alloy has a bunch to do with it also, if you have a sample of the material you can do some test/experiment runs to see what the finished product looks.  It you have cast material you have to very careful on all fronts.  AL is just one of those metals that out gases 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 11:04:51 PM »
Thanks Phil. Pretty sure it’s cast. What extra steps do you advise?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Powder Coating
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2019, 06:45:03 PM »
Well I forged ahead.  Used a zinc powdered primer for the base coat then the bronze.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 06:45:35 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2019, 06:52:29 PM »
Looks good!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2019, 07:10:00 PM »
Not bad!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2019, 07:20:18 PM »
Thanks,  Whatever primer was on this thing was amazingly hard.  I tested a piece where I just removed the topcoat with the glass beads and then shot the bronze over the top.  Came out good.  That will certainly speed things up for me not to have to take it all the way down to the aluminum..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2019, 09:47:07 PM »
Was probably something outlawed now.

Like most real auto paint.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2019, 01:47:32 PM »
Was probably something outlawed now.

Like most real auto paint.

x2
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2019, 10:04:16 PM »
So, in case you guys didn’t know, a new EPA regulation is about to take effect in 3 days that outlaws Methylene Chloride for non industrial/commercial use. Won’t be able to buy it.  So the “good” paint stripper is about to become out of reach.

I’m ordering 5-10 gallons.  The good stuff in high concentration that will dissolve powder coat in 4 minutes submerged.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2019, 10:30:03 PM »
And where can one get this....lol
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2019, 10:31:04 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal