Hello Guest

Author Topic: Percolator coffee  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Percolator coffee
« on: February 04, 2017, 09:13:21 AM »
So for 100 years or so (seems like it anyway) I've been using a drip coffee maker. Had tons of different kinds from cheapo wally world versions to more expensive ones. We have a combo drip and espresso version now cause the wife loves cappuccino.

When I'm camping I use a campfire percolator and the coffee is always good and hot (drip coffee is always just sort of warm (I add cream to my 1st cup of the day then later go just black). So I've been on the lookout for a percolator. My local wally world only carries 1 version among the 649 different drips they sell and they want $50 for the darn thing....so I passed. Finally at Christmas I broke down and got one at Amazon for $35 or something....not fancy...just the old style stainless steel percolator. I'm sure if I combed the flea markets and yard sales I could have found one for $5 but I grabbed this new one. I gotta say it makes really really good coffee!

Yes the grinds (because most coffee is ground for drips so is much finer) get into it but as long as I don't pour the last 1/4" I'm okay.

I also splurged and got the Stanley french press mug (wanted to try that and while it works I don't really do the French press thing). This mug is just flat out awesome. Yeah it's spendy but it keeps coffee hot for-evah! It will also last a lifetime as its made like their traditional vacuum thermos' - all metal etc. It will literally keep a hot cup of coffee hot for 2 hours.

Loving my mornings now! Ha!

*I was going to put this in the CIEMR section but didn't know if that'd be kinda redundant  :shocked:

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Percolator coffee
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »
Nice!

Is this in the quoffee section?

Should we have a quoffee section?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 09:44:34 AM »
I'm a fan of cowboy coffee...some days.
If it's bugging you, throw a filter I the perk, it keeps all the fines in the basket.

I have not seen the French press mug, have the attachment for my jet boil, but hours long coffee is always good.

Don't think we have a quoffee section chief.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 10:16:14 AM »
My wife is a coffee connoisseur, we have a drip machine for parents when they visit. She has a nice French press & we also have a $600 or so breville machine I bought her for steaming milk & grinding coffee beans. The French press is a pretty nice addition for the low cost. We also have an electric kettle to heat water.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 02:32:11 PM »
This is the version we put in the fiver for not-so-rough camping:  https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000015167-Camping-Coffeemaker/dp/B001K7IDVU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486236666&sr=8-2&keywords=camping+coffee+maker

Works pretty good, but a little bulky.

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 03:47:50 PM »
Just throw the coffee grounds in your mouth like the little packets of MRE coffee and you're good to go...
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 04:34:19 PM »
chocolate drink mix, mixed with the instant coffee, and the sugar and creamer packets added make awesome ranger pudding (the real deal energy drink).......................lol
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 03:02:46 PM »
We always percolate when we're camping. At home I'm too impatient. Got Mr coffee on a timer.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline akcooper9

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 05:39:15 PM »
We always percolate when we're camping. At home I'm too impatient. Got Mr coffee on a timer.

We do the same thing  :beercheers:

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 09:32:15 AM »
I started making percolator at home on the stove using my camping cofree pot....the real "hot" coffee is what did it for me. My wife still makes drip (had it this am for 1 cup)....but it cools off so quick and just doesn't seem to have the same flavor I made a pot of perc'd after. Give it a try with your camping gear. I just had to find that perfect level of heat so it perc'd w/o boiling over.  :shocked:

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 09:45:07 AM »
I have full collection of percs, from 8 cup to the cabelas jumbo 32 cupper.
I seem to only use them camping.

Back off the boat now, and can finally catch up a bit.
The coffee they had was some amazing Italian stuff, strong very strong, or spoon quivering.
We had a suite. With a machine... Another topic for another thread.
The restaurant we frequented used French presses.
I quit cream in the coffee, no clue how old it was...just warm and out.
Man did I enjoy the thick coffee.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 12:43:05 AM »
I just do the Coffee Bags when camping now since everyone seems to want something diff in scouts or with the kids.

I just got a wally mug for $4 (smaller version of the yeti) and it works great!!!

An old trick for cowboy coffee from pops is a green stem in the perk. All the grounds float up top that way.

I quit cream and stuff when I was 14 doing my paper route,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 08:12:42 AM »
Used a percolator all the years I was in the army going around the scenic areas.  Quickly threw away the guts and just dumped coffee in the water.  A splash of cold water or a pinch of salt will sink the grounds and make for a good hot cup.  Learned that from some of the old guys in scout camp and grand pa making coffee in the fire place.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 10:26:41 PM »
Used a percolator all the years I was in the army going around the scenic areas.  Quickly threw away the guts and just dumped coffee in the water.  A splash of cold water or a pinch of salt will sink the grounds and make for a good hot cup.  Learned that from some of the old guys in scout camp and grand pa making coffee in the fire place.
Hmmm, never heard of those tricks

Guess we A-V-8-ers weren't as tuned in as you engineers

Either that or

We were always hanging around places with mess halls ;-)

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 10:41:34 PM »

Either that or

Then when not near a mess hall y'all probably had a pot in one of your offices. I don't recall ever being in a building near the flight line that didn't have one....shoot, I don't recall her being in any office that didn't have one. But I also was in the scenic places between the years of 07-10, so maybe it's a modern luxury?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 10:57:21 PM »

Either that or

Then when not near a mess hall y'all probably had a pot in one of your offices. I don't recall ever being in a building near the flight line that didn't have one....shoot, I don't recall her being in any office that didn't have one. But I also was in the scenic places between the years of 07-10, so maybe it's a modern luxury?

My tent had coffee
I made the youngest warrant officer in the unit brew it and clean up the coffee pot. Sometimes had steaks in a freezer along with a charcoal grill outside. On some occassions would have icecream and T-Ration coffee cake as well.

Needless to say, my hootch was a popular hang out. Top would make a fuss at out lack of light discipline (Strings of party lights) but in the evening would show up for whatever we were making!

Same same with the Sergeant Major. Would pitch a fit at me or my boys in front of the old man, but evenings would kick back at my place and hang out.

I'd chew his rear end at times but share cold ones with him the rest of the time. I think I was as good a friend to the senior NCO's as they were between themselves.

I volunteered for a haircut from my first sergeant once. He buzzed me. I ate him up for a long time after that memorable day. Dave is still a good friend with me to this very day

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 09:57:38 AM »
String lights seemed popular lots of places. Makes me laugh you let you 1sg cut your hair. I feel as thought you knew it was coming.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 10:29:12 AM »
Took one for the team he did

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 02:06:57 PM »
Took one for the team he did

OK, whole story

We were scrambled out early for desert shield/storm.

When they bounced the 82nd Airborne, the next batch of guys to go was the 5th Special Forces Group. SOCOM cut a slice of the 160th (Me) to support the 5th SFG.

We had no idea how long it was going to last or when we might come back home. But after a few weeks, we were getting pretty hairy lookin' So Dave, our 1SG decided he needed to give everyone a haircut. He sort of volunteered me to be the first. You know, officer leading the way and all that crap. So I took the seat and sucked it up.

Thing was, who could balk it if the biggest guy in the unit had a buzz by top? Didn't matter, that was early September and we were over there the entire time for the build up and the war afterward...

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 06:06:15 PM »
How many other Norwegian, Lutherans, Swedes out there have made or have had nothing other than good old egg coffee? Mom's side were all norske Lutherans and I don't remember ever having any other choice until espresso stands became a thing. although hunting and fishing w/ both sides grandpas included percolator or cowboy coffee with the cold water trick. I think the smoke from the fire changes it too.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2017, 07:00:13 PM »
German family trick too- in the perk basket goes crushed egg shells - when not "camping", eggs went into the pan!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 07:40:19 PM »
Mike, my grandma did that with the shells to....she was straight up Okie, not German!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal