Hello Guest

Author Topic: All Terrain Tires for the Duramax  (Read 29238 times)

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
All Terrain Tires for the Duramax
« on: April 17, 2015, 03:12:29 PM »
Ok guys, in the next couple months i'm going to be putting new shoes on the truck...

Wheels i have picked out already. Going with a 17". I have no plans to lift or level the truck. The wheels I have picked out are the Helo HE879.

I wanted to get a thread going on All Terrain Tires. I thought I was decided, but now i'm conflicted. Got a recommendation to not go with BFG A/T's, so i'm researching alternate options.

Whatever I get, it will be a 265/70/R17.

I had originally thought I wanted to go with the BF Goodrich A/T KO2... the new version of the classic A/T...

I did get some feedback (JR i think?) that these would wear quickly on the diesel... and there is no tread warranty offered with the KO2. Discount Tire has these for $214 per tire. I also saw these tires on another truck, and the more agressive sidewall tread stuff kind looks goofy if you ask me... maybe with a lift and bigger wheel/tire combo, but with standard-ish size tires, kinda looked like a DNR rig LOL

I got to lookin, and think I may be switching my mind and going with the Cooper Discoverer ATP. The ATP is a Discount Tire exclusive. They're $181 per tire, and right now you can get a $70 rebate on a set of 4. They also have a 55k mile tread warranty, which is a big plus over the BFG KO2...

I ran the Toyo A/T II's on my 08 duramax, and loved them... but they slung gravel like crazy, and they were dang expensive...

What do you guys think? Think the Coopers are a good bet?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 03:14:21 PM by Dawg25385 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: All Terrain Tires for the Duramax
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 05:49:41 PM »
What about the GoodYear DuraTracs? I have them on the Jeep (not the same) but I do seem them on almost all the diesels up here with ATs, so that has to count for something.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 06:29:10 PM »
I considered those, but dang they have such aggressive sidewall tread too... and they're pretty expensive for the 10 ply
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 08:19:16 PM »
I'm sporting a set of Toyo M-55's at the moment.
They are not cheap.
I'm in a unique position at the end of a 200 mile gravel road (crushed black shale. Read arrowheads)
I've about tried them all. And the BFG's are no good as you've heard.
Had been running Terra Grapplers, but only get about  25 -30k out of them. They were my previous best.
The M-55's are wearing like iron. I'm nearing 20k? on them now. At least 75-80% left.
They define throwing rocks though.
They are ok on ice, decent in snow, and pretty good in the mud.
But they are pricey.
I'm on about the same as you're looking at but on a 16.

Sorry to ramble, just used up a lot of tires over the years.
These are worth every penny so far.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 10:23:53 PM »
I just talked to my buddy that has an '05 Dodge 3/4 ton with those coopers, told him about you, and he advised against them. He said they are noisy and his #1 complaint was that they "railroaded" pretty bad for the first 20k. He has about 30k and they have been cupping for a while. These were mostly highway miles.
He said he tried them out because they had pretty good reviews.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 12:48:38 AM »
Those m-55's sound good, but dang almost 300 per tire... Yikes

Dang, bad news on the coopers ken... That's a major bummer. Gonna make me have to think real hard about this.

I was intrigued by the new Toyo R/T's also, but I'm sure they're gonna be really expensive too.
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 01:58:07 AM »
It's only one man's opinion Kyle, but I trust him.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 02:51:53 AM »
I put the coopers on my 1500 sub but really have no miles on it. I have talked to a few who have them and love them and the price is right.

I have toyos on my Dmax right now. Down to around 1/4 tread so new ones are close. Probably by the end of summer with the new lift kit. I have over 60k on them but they have been great even though I don't rotate as much as I should. Last weekend camping I got into some pretty slick mud with no problems at all.
Last year with about 1/2 tread I was in the fresh virgin snow and ice. I was going up small inclines sideways ad they held great.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 11:08:03 AM »
kyle, I was the one talking about the BFG's not holding up to the weight of our trucks.  I think I got like 20k (99% HWY) then had to replace them.  I currently have the toyo AT's on for almost 2 years now and they are still running great.  they get rotated every 5k and I keep them some where around 70psi.  I am in about the same boat as JR in have to replace them sometime soon. 

here is a pic of when I had them installed like 2 years ago.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 11:46:19 AM »
Another vote for the toyos... I did love my toyos on pavement, snow, etc... The gravel slingin just made me cringe.

Thanks for the feedback guys
NRA Life Member

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 12:05:34 PM »
I just put new tires on the Duramax- Micheline LTX A/T's. 18's )load range E)

These are wonderful for all-around tires, cruising mulch beds, and towing my 8,000lb camper etc.  not sure about mud, as that makes a white truck look like it's totaled.....

$265 each......ouch!

Mike
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 01:31:41 PM »
I have ran BF Goodrich AT almost exclusively on my two Duramax's and all of my other 4X4 pickups. I will need to replace my current set this summer. They have 36286 miles right now rotating every 5K miles and 60 PSI on Front and 70 PSI on rear.

They are expensive. $380.00 per LT285/55R20, All-Terrain T/A KO

I try to get them siped if the dealer has the machine. They are quiet and I like how they handle the snow and ice. They grip.

I do have a question. The truck came with fender flares but the wheels are set inside the original fender. So I took them off because I thought they looked dumb with the tire inset so much. I would like to buy some new rims when I buy the new tires and move the wheels out about 2" so they line up with the flare. Anyone know what offset that would require? I seem to get conflicting info from the tire shops.

I wouldn't mind dropping wheel size as well to get a little cheaper tire price. The 20" rims seem to drive up the price.

Thanks
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 12:14:35 AM »
As soon as you go above 17-18 they get pricey for sure. Thin tires are for the street not a truck that needs suspension and half your suspension IS THE TIRE.

I run 295/75-17 and can replace for well under $1000. 17x8 with 4.5 bs and they fit the wheel well nice but I run a 3 inch lift. With 285's you should be OK.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:18:15 AM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 05:51:45 PM »
Dropped by Schwabs yesterday for a quote on the Toyo A/T ii's in 265/70/17...$245 per tire... ouch.
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 06:08:35 PM »
Pay now or pay later, right?

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 06:25:52 PM »
Ken... I'm strugglin' with this one.

Part of me is still considering rolling the dice on those ATP's.

650 for a set of those, versus a grand for the Toyo's.

For a truck that I don't daily drive....

Man, don't know what to do.

Saw the Hankook RF10's too, 171 per tire... may have to read up on those a little too.
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 06:41:04 PM »
I don't envy you. I have never had an issue with making a choice like that...I never let common sense or "budget" dictate my decision, and I bet my credit score would prove it! lol

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 09:37:28 PM »
I have ran BF Goodrich AT almost exclusively on my two Duramax's and all of my other 4X4 pickups. I will need to replace my current set this summer. They have 36286 miles right now rotating every 5K miles and 60 PSI on Front and 70 PSI on rear.

They are expensive. $380.00 per LT285/55R20, All-Terrain T/A KO

I try to get them siped if the dealer has the machine. They are quiet and I like how they handle the snow and ice. They grip.

I do have a question. The truck came with fender flares but the wheels are set inside the original fender. So I took them off because I thought they looked dumb with the tire inset so much. I would like to buy some new rims when I buy the new tires and move the wheels out about 2" so they line up with the flare. Anyone know what offset that would require? I seem to get conflicting info from the tire shops.

I wouldn't mind dropping wheel size as well to get a little cheaper tire price. The 20" rims seem to drive up the price.

Thanks
Really, you can move all the way down to 17" wheel and get a great selection of MUCH less expensive tires.
I am using an eighteen inch wheel (18 X 9) with a 4.5" B.S. and the tires present about like you are describing. Take a look at the C-Max pics to get a better idea. I am using the Pro-Comp wheel with a 35" tire and about a 7" lift
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 07:47:50 PM »
I have the goodyears on my 08 , leveled with 295's and they were fine for the first 500 miles then they started getting noisy. honestly thought I had 2 bad wheel bearings. just because I could I put the old wheels and tire back on to verify and sure enough, just noisy tires. although the tread shows no wear after about 15k and 2 rotations. but they hold gravel--- forever!!!! >:(

Offline CHEVSILVER1500

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 09:15:53 PM »
My dad just put the cooper ATP tires on his 2011 dmax. So far he has no complaints and from the one trip I took with him across texas they were quiet on the highway and I didn't notice any strange handling from the truck while I was driving. This was while pulling a 16ft lowboy and ranger. And he also has two trips towing the 8000 lb camper with no complaints.

Pulled good in the snot mud at the deer woods also.

I'm trying to decide what tire and size to go with on my dmax seeing as the stock 265/60R20 does not offer many tire choices and the factory good years are terrible off the highway and tend to bubble from what I have seen on my dads and heard from the folks at discount.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 09:03:09 AM »
Well I did pull the trigger on some new wheels and tires. I went to an 18" rim with Toyo Open Country M/T 33X12.50R18.

I buy everything via the internet...truck, clothes, tools, etc... so why not wheels and tires. I ordered through rimzoneonline.com and they had no sales tax and free shipping. The price for the package was better than I could find locally even before taxes.

It took about ten days for them to get to MN from NC and when they shipped they didn't have my phone number included so I called the local carrier and picked them up at dock. I then dropped them off new at a local Royal Tire and had them siped. We will see if that was a good move or not but in the past I have siped my BFG AT's and they ran very nice. They also mounted them once done. So far so good.

I can't find any evidence of a lift on front and there is a 1 1/2" block under the leaf in the back so not sure if that is stock. Anyhow they rub when I turned. Not bad but just annoying. So I modified the wheel wells and plastic inner liner and now they are fine unless I am turning and hit a big hole where the front drops heavy.

Sooo the reason for the post. I know have 2600 miles on them. They seem fine so far. They are much more wobbly side to side than my BFG's were but I'm not sure whether that is due to siping or just the tread design.

New they come with 16.7mm of tread depth. After the 2600 miles the fronts now have 15mm and the rears have 13mm. I know new tires will wear faster than older ones but that seems like a lot. I'll keep track but I was hoping to get at least 40K miles out of these. I rotate every 5K miles.

I'll let you know how they wear. It is all daily driver stuff on asphalt. I'm old so I'm not very heavy on the right foot (don't want to waste the money) so I don't think that is it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:05:40 AM by cruizng »
Mike

Offline akcooper9

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 11:35:52 AM »
Not sure what you have decided to go with but on the 2500 Yukon, we put Cooper AT3 tires on and they kick but all around. They will go on the 2500HD when the BFG AT KO are done.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 01:36:14 PM »
Well I did pull the trigger on some new wheels and tires. I went to an 18" rim with Toyo Open Country M/T 33X12.50R18.

I buy everything via the internet...truck, clothes, tools, etc... so why not wheels and tires. I ordered through rimzoneonline.com and they had no sales tax and free shipping. The price for the package was better than I could find locally even before taxes.

It took about ten days for them to get to MN from NC and when they shipped they didn't have my phone number included so I called the local carrier and picked them up at dock. I then dropped them off new at a local Royal Tire and had them siped. We will see if that was a good move or not but in the past I have siped my BFG AT's and they ran very nice. They also mounted them once done. So far so good.

I can't find any evidence of a lift on front and there is a 1 1/2" block under the leaf in the back so not sure if that is stock. Anyhow they rub when I turned. Not bad but just annoying. So I modified the wheel wells and plastic inner liner and now they are fine unless I am turning and hit a big hole where the front drops heavy.

Sooo the reason for the post. I know have 2600 miles on them. They seem fine so far. They are much more wobbly side to side than my BFG's were but I'm not sure whether that is due to siping or just the tread design.

New they come with 16.7mm of tread depth. After the 2600 miles the fronts now have 15mm and the rears have 13mm. I know new tires will wear faster than older ones but that seems like a lot. I'll keep track but I was hoping to get at least 40K miles out of these. I rotate every 5K miles.

I'll let you know how they wear. It is all daily driver stuff on asphalt. I'm old so I'm not very heavy on the right foot (don't want to waste the money) so I don't think that is it.

Sidewall stiffness is a cost cutter. it's cheaper and easier to layer the nylon in the same direction than diagonally cross it, but you could be experiencing the difference between GM hub-centric wheels vs. aftermarket lug centric which is normal. That type of wear is typical for the first 1000 miles or so until the rubber tempers. it should slow down considerably especially since you siped them, which increases efficiency of heat dispersal. Tires breakdown from heat and friction, but temper just like other materials and depending on the recipe, silica content etc. do so at different rates. after your 1st 5k rotation note the tread depth and again on the following rotation. You started off with 16.668mm or 21/32" tread depth. min depth is 4/32" at the wear bar, an avg of your tread loss between the two rotations should give you your life span pretty accurately, as tread wear increases exponentially the closer you get to the 4/32" mark. Less lug height = less airflow = greater heat retention.

I'm betting the rate you're losing tread drops off sharply after the first 5k.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 03:08:48 PM »
Tate... Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye on them. When I was digging around I also saw that they were rated at 75psi max. At the dealer and tire store they always pump up the rears to 80 psi. Since I don't haul any weight in the bed I will drop them down to 65psi like the front but I would imagine that would make them more squirrely in the rear.

I'll post the mm again at the 5K rotation mark.
Mike

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 01:20:33 PM »
I ended up going with the Cooper ATP in 285/70r17. So far so good!
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 11:12:07 PM »
My new cooper stt are doing nice and not as noisy as I thought they would be. Load range E, not bad for a 35!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2015, 11:19:27 AM »
Toyo Open Country M/T 33X12.50R18

Thought I would post up my tire tread usage at my first 5K rotation. They have 5032 miles on them Fronts now rotated to rear have 15mm. Rears now rotated onto fronts have 12mm. So the rear chews up 4mm in 5K miles. Hopefully that rate slows down which I think it should.

Here are some pics showing the siping.
Mike

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2015, 11:30:46 AM »
Same tire on my D-Max. Same thing
I go through two sets of rear tires for each front
I rotate, but the wear on the rear is double the front.
I have that full time locker though which works great...but does cause additional wear.

Personally, I'm good with it as I haven't gone anywhere the truck hasn't been able to crawl out of...yet...

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2015, 01:21:46 PM »
Sniping and heavy foot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Spacecase544

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 02:42:29 AM »
I had a set of Toyos before, and I hated them.  When it rained, I might as well have been on a lubed up ice skating rink.  I got a set of the KO2s now, and love them.  Time will tell on the wear though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline halsey

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2015, 08:09:37 AM »

I also have the KO2s. I've had them in rain and snow and so far so good. Put them on my w350 last November.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2016, 09:22:10 AM »

Update on these tires. I really liked them in the winter. On the black ice and snow they stuck to the road very well. They could even stop the heavy truck and cornered good. They feel a little looser than the BFG's on the asphalt but so far thumbs up.

As far as wear. They now have 11904 miles on them. Front and rear both show 11mm of tread left. They have used up 5.7mm of rubber. I don't think I am going to get 40K out of these...  :'( We will see.
Mike

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2016, 09:32:05 AM »
^^^Good follow through

I am still happily eating through my ever renewing Toyos

Thing is, although I have to step up and buy tires more frequently, I pay no attention to muddy conditions, trailering, driving on wicked cross slopes next to trees or anything else.

I'm wondering if that truck might not be able to pull Sarge out if it gets stuck!

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2016, 02:16:14 PM »
I just installed a new set of wheels and went with the Toyo open country A/T, as was previously recommend by others.  I really like them so far, they seem to be better off road that I expected for an all terrain tire.  Mine are 285/65-18 and rubbed slightly until a bit of massaging with a hammer fixed it. :)  Also I was debating between these XD rims and a set of Helo ones.  The XD's were available in a +0 offset and the helo's were only available in a -12 offset.  I didn't want them to stick out any further than they need to, so I went with the XD.  You may want to check the offset options for where ever you are ordering the wheels from.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2016, 03:18:48 PM »

Update on these tires. I really liked them in the winter. On the black ice and snow they stuck to the road very well. They could even stop the heavy truck and cornered good. They feel a little looser than the BFG's on the asphalt but so far thumbs up.

As far as wear. They now have 11904 miles on them. Front and rear both show 11mm of tread left. They have used up 5.7mm of rubber. I don't think I am going to get 40K out of these...  :'( We will see.

Had tires rotated so will update after currently putting 16,314 miles on the set. Odo is at 93499. Front have 8.5mm and Rear have 10mm.
Rear

Front

With winter coming up not sure I will make it though without buying another set.  And I drive like an Old Man TOO!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 03:19:57 PM by cruizng »
Mike

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2016, 08:58:55 PM »
I ended up trading for a set of H2 wheels with LT285/70R17 Cooper AT3 tires. I also got the spare with the original 315 BFG all terrain. I'm not sure of the mileage but they have quite a bit of tread left. My plan is to run a more aggressive set of tires during winter/hunting season and a light all terrain tire during the summer for better mileage. But first, since I have them, I'll wear these two sets out. I cleaned and mounted them up tonight and they're rubbing quite a bit. I suppose I have no choice but to add some preload to the torsion bars so I don't have to trim the front bumper. I didn't want to do that but I also don't want to drop the money for a quality lift so I think this is my best option. Since I'll have to have an alignment done after the torsion bar adjustment anyway I might as well add a set of tie rod sleeves while I'm at it. Is there anything specifically I should look for or avoid while I'm under it tomorrow adding preload to the torsion bars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 08:59:51 PM by longball »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2016, 09:29:39 PM »
Just don't crank them all the way is about it. You need down travel as much as up.

They should adjust easy with it jacked up.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2016, 11:26:55 PM »
I'd also add do it in little steps. Half turn or so at a time.
Crank it go for a drive to settle it out, and repeat as necessary.
Like JR said don't max it out.
It will take the flatter stock angles and make them not so nice, but a little bit can be done.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2016, 02:21:37 AM »
I personally jack the truck up before cranking on the bolts....less stress on them. Oh, and mark them so you can count the turns and keep them even.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 02:22:23 AM by KensAuto »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »
I personally jack the truck up before cranking on the bolts....less stress on them. Oh, and mark them so you can count the turns and keep them even.

Sound advice, I do the same.

Stock you are good to about 1.5 inches, but measure.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2016, 12:40:18 PM »
I think you might end up needing to trim that bottom of the bumper just a tad.  The suspension will still move up and rub

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2016, 12:44:21 PM »
I think you might end up needing to trim that bottom of the bumper just a tad.  The suspension will still move up and rub

You are right about that. I lifted the truck 1" with a jack under the front crossmember and it still wants to rub. I don't want to raise it more than an inch so I'll have to do some trimming. Which tool will make a clean cut on that plastic? I plan to measure each side so I get them trimmed evenly. I'm not fond of eyeballing much of anything.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2016, 01:02:39 PM »
If you have a strong wrist, a boxcutter will give the cleanest line. A cutoff wheel/die grinder or an oscillating tool will also work.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2016, 02:28:02 PM »
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply and answer my questions. I'll give the boxcutter a shot and see what happens. Before I started, the driver's side measured 38 1/2 and the passenger's side measured 38 3/8. Now, the driver's side measures 39 5/8 and the passenger's is 39 3/8. I had my wife sit in the driver's seat and it brought the driver's side down within 1/8 of the passenger's side. I'm thinking with my added weight it should be even with me sitting in it. The tires are of course still rubbing but I don't want to go any higher than it is now. I like the bigger tires and wheels but I'm not going to sacrifice CV angles and upper ball joints to run them. Given my choices, I'll trim the lower valance. Since it will need an alignment anyway I'm going to order a set of tie rod sleeves from rough country and install them before the alignment. Sleeves should suit my needs and are much cheaper than the HD tie rods from Rare Parts or Cognito.

The measurements I took are from the ground to the top inside of the fender well. Is there a more consistent, reliable location to get my measurements?

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 11:11:52 PM by longball »

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2016, 08:09:39 PM »
I had to take a 30 minute drive to attend a bake sale for a firefighter who is battling cancer. As soon as we got back a storm blew in so instead of hurrying to get the fenders cut I'm going to wait until I have more time. This is not something I want to rush. After some final adjustment there is only 1/8" of difference between the drivers and passenger's side (drawing a straight line through the center of the wheels). Even though they seem to be even I need to trim about 2" off of the passenger side but less than 1" off of the drivers side. I'm not sure what is causing this difference but I want to double check my work before I take off material. I wish I wasn't so ocd about some things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2016, 03:37:37 PM »
For the rear of the fender where the real rub occurs you can gin almost 2 inches. Lots of how too's on it, worked great for me. I just rub with 35's and 3in lift.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2016, 07:42:15 PM »
I think a box cutter or even a slow speed air saw will work, of course sand and round your edges clean no matter what tool you use. 
You can look for the larger fender mod on line. Really easy to accomplish as JR was saying.  It's a ugly do it yourself but I gained bunches of room also.   But that is only for the back side of the fender

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 07:45:04 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2016, 08:39:48 PM »
Here is what I did to mine. Not hard at all and looks good.

https://youtu.be/MZ_e_yoVj5Y

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2017, 04:16:56 PM »
Toyo Open Country 33x12.5R 18LT tires.

Update on tires after rotation on 2/1/17. Odometer at 99956. Tread on tires at 9.0mm Front and Back. 22,771 miles on the set as of right now.

I measured 8.5mm before so not sure what happened there. Poor tech skills I would assume. But not too much wear for 6457 miles. I have to say I am not very impressed with them on ice. My BFG's were much better. Even with these siped. As another has mentioned they still seem to wander more than others.

They should last me at least through the summer so we will see how much they wear from now on.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:18:40 PM by cruizng »
Mike

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2017, 04:53:19 PM »
longball you might use a dremel to clean up whatever you do....I find those really great for "cleaning" up stuff I have cut. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal