Hello Guest

Author Topic: SquareD Part 3: Body work, paint, roof rack, and farther off course ...  (Read 164844 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:29:40 PM by KensAuto »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SquareD Part 5: Body work, paint, roof rack, and farther off course ...
« Reply #201 on: October 07, 2014, 04:18:42 PM »
Wheel Paint:

I think I'm going to do something cool here. Sort of let the old Square D make a cameo appearance of sorts. The base color of my truck is a darker silver. I just happen to have 1 quart of that paint here.

Be ashamed to waste it, wouldn't you agree?

The inside part of the wheel will be that base Dodge silver, to remember from wince it came. Then the ring the later camo color, the color you saw on the Allison oil.
I was thinking of making the wheel outers and the chrome part of the grill that color along with the engine.

The overall color scheme would be based around the two OD greens and the JD Blitz black, which are all semi gloss paints, and all enamels. The only other colors would be the inside of the wheels which would be the Dodge dark silver, and the Lycoming gray underpinnings.
Simple, understated, function along with the style I am looking for.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 07, 2014, 04:19:41 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armalite View Post
I would say local machine shop can handle that. I know when I had a set of custom spacers built, 10" wide spacers, so I could run duals on my Honda Foreman, they welded them up, then put them on a lathe, and trued them up. I could run 45 mph down the hwy, with all 8 wheels and tires bolted up, and there was no wobble.

But we are talking about comparing an atv to your truck. But I would still assume that a machine shop could come up with a way to lathe them true for you.

That would be my first spot to check. 

We're on it (Duane and I) His buddy, and becoming mine, Dan, knows a machinist who has a nice home operation and he himself (Dan) has a growing machine shop himself I think. So we ought to be able to handle this, and yes, Ash, same deal as your spacers. Just a simple milling operation we now thing instead of a lathe.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 07, 2014, 04:22:08 PM »
Salt covered brown truck showed up and brought this:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 07, 2014, 04:22:50 PM »
Those boxes contain 6, brandly new Bosch injectors which have been extrude honed and balanced within a millimeter of infinity to make a WHOLE bunch more power. I am still asking what the specs on them are, but haven't learned yet.

Gillette Diesel in Bluffdale Utah built them as +120HP units to sync up well with the twin turbos I will be adding.

You Have a Quality Engine: Now You Want Quality Gillett Diesel Service

Additionally, here is a rebuild kit for the stock H1C Holset turbo which came on my truck

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 07, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
They also sent these clamps and flanges to help me assemble and create this home-made twin setup that is coming to a SquareD project truck you and I both know.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:24:04 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 07, 2014, 04:24:52 PM »
That stock Holset will not be staying stock, Nossir not at all.

The stock air squeezer has a 56mm compressor wheel. Here is the 60mm compressor that the stock center section will be getting:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 07, 2014, 04:25:26 PM »
Everybody like playing parts?

Isn't this fun??

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 07, 2014, 04:26:20 PM »
OK, let's continue...

The stocker and rebuilt center section of the Cummins turbo will also get a much mo-better exhaust housing. The stock junk takes this afternoon to spool up. But this Purdy thing here will spool in 13 micro seconds, producing well over 1000psi of boost!

Really!

Well, I might have exaggerated a little...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 07, 2014, 04:26:58 PM »
It wouldn't be a compound turbo system unless something compounds the factory turbo.

This should do:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 07, 2014, 04:27:49 PM »
And that my young padiwans is what they call a new turbocharger!

It is a Borg-Warner S300 unit which is not too big, but plenty big enough to build a great towing motor which isn't reaching for ultimate horsepower. I'm not sure exactly where the horsepower will fall, but a twin setup and injectors like these should supply enough stuff for power creations well north of 500 and torque well over the thousand mark.

Keep in mind that Square D has one ton less heft to move around than the D-max trucks we drive, and we already know how fast the LML and modified earlier D-maxes are...

So this little Dodge will certainly be no slouch and should achieve north of 20mpg.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 07, 2014, 04:29:14 PM »
Don't forget the gaskets!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 07, 2014, 04:30:07 PM »
Hey, remember we were talking and kidding around about using a chain saw on those tire inserts?

Remember how we thought it was dangerous (Probably is) and sort of a joke?

Well, I have to say it actually works quite well!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 07, 2014, 04:31:01 PM »
It's quite controllable and manageable and makes a 3 minute job out of pulling those huge pieces of rubber out of the tire

Makes a mess as well!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 07, 2014, 04:31:36 PM »
The tire is a whole bunch lighter now without this:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 07, 2014, 04:32:22 PM »
I made a major discovery today

Hot tires are easier to carve on than cold ones!

Really!

Yesterday, I would brush the snow off the tread block, then push like I was benching 275 to get the tire iron blade through the super hard rubber.

Today, I didn't want to work on a cold tire and get all wet like yesterday, so I placed the tire in front of that torpedo heater for awhile and let physics have it's way.

Well I lined up the tire iron and pushed it through the rubber like a hot knife (Which it is) through oatmeal (Thinking of something thicker than butter)

Anyway, it went much easier

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 07, 2014, 04:37:13 PM »
Just thought I'd interrupt for a moment to talk about building a 12 valve truck...Sorry to barge in!

DOTs...

Well, with the severe cold, stuff just gets slowed down. I have been seeking machine shop services for the wheels and I found the guy. Lives something like 2 miles from Casa Don!
We will get into the wheel thing on Saturday provided my snow tunnel boring device hooked to the front of Combat Max can get through the next blizzard approaching from the west!

So I am going through a process of getting a mil tire, heating it, then chain sawing the run flat thing out of it, then heating some more with Mr. Torpedo heater, then firing up the grooving iron.

Today I heated the tires up a bunch more and it made carving those blocks a lot easier.

Got all but one tire done, so that should fall tomorrow. I'll be mission complete on tire conversion and basically waiting on the wheels to process, then I'll get to being done with them as well. I am anxious to see what I end up after all this effort.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 07, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
OK, got the wheels in at the machine shop for a couple of operations designed to make them even cooler!

So at the casa garage I chain sawed the final tire thing up and grooved the tire to off road perfection, then I started to put those poly centers into the tire.

Then I invented a tool, then I used a press to oblong the PVC thing, then a strap, some nylon webbing, some soap suds, about 55% of all the patience I have remaining in my life.

SO what we are left with is one insert stuck in the tire sideways and I can't get it out, (Just gave up)
I have another sitting near another tire which has seen me try to insert that thing every which way I could think of, but no cigar.

So

Asking the Brain trust out there...How does one stuff those things into the tires anyway?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 07, 2014, 04:38:56 PM »
Take a look at what I'm talking about.

Here's the bead lock that somehow has to get inside that tire. And those sidewalls are pretty stiff around the beads

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 07, 2014, 04:39:43 PM »
I soaped this one up and pried on it with a variety of steel bars and managed to get it this far. Now even with me kicking it as hard as I can. it won't budge. I'll be able to pry it out but this just illustrates just how tight everything is

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 07, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »
How to install PVC inserts for Hummer rims, the easy way.

How to install PVC inserts for Hummer rims, the easy way.

Alright. This is a how-to that probably had its place 5 years ago, but some of us cheap bastards are still running H1's. And when you do, you'll want to ditch the stock runflats: the radial tires(12bolt rims) were all supposed to have rubber inserts, with the bias tires(8bolt rims) getting magnesium-ally, bolt-together deals.

Click image for larger version. Name: DSCI1501.jpg Views: 6 Size: 261.5 KB ID: 71850

This is what you're starting with: an insert, and a tire to put it into. I'm using PVC inserts from TrailWorthy Fab, they are rounded over, chamfered, and have a nice space for the valve stem to sit into and it ensures that air will get past the the insert. Available at Trail Worthy Fab.

Click image for larger version. Name: DSCI1502.jpg Views: 8 Size: 231.4 KB ID: 71851

Take the tire, and smush it on top of the insert. The idea is to get the insert wedged in there; the next step does all the work.

Click image for larger version. Name: DSCI1503.jpg Views: 7 Size: 244.6 KB ID: 71852

This is most of the magic: Stuff the whole deal under your engine hoist. This is also the easy way to remove rubber runflats: chain them up and yank them out.

Click image for larger version. Name: DSCI1504.jpg Views: 7 Size: 222.8 KB ID: 71853

Pull the insert up until it kind of pops in there. At this point, you can put your foot inside the tire and kind of press the beads down over the insert a little more. It helps with the next step, just gets a little more work done while it's easy. When you're done, remove the hoist and chain.

Click image for larger version. Name: DSCI1505.jpg Views: 7 Size: 259.4 KB ID: 71854

If you've got a tire iron, that's best, but any suitably strong pipe/walking stick/crowbar will do. First, push the insert over inside the tire, it won't go all the way but it will lean over like you see in the pic. Next, I used a tire iron's "spoon" side, not the side with the hook, and pried the bead over the insert. The insert slides right down into the tire. The other side will be much easier to do but needs the same thing done. You're just about done.

Click image for larger version. Name: DSCI1506.jpg Views: 8 Size: 253.1 KB ID: 71855

Adjust the insert inside the tire with your heel, and that's it! Takes about 5 minutes per wheel. Super easy, very low stress.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 07, 2014, 04:43:15 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudakidd53 View Post
As a matter of practicality, give the monumental headache the things have caused, how well do the run-flats really work? I fully grasp the tactical reasoning behind it, but performance wise, what's their drivability?

drivability: No difference locked or not.

The big difference shows up if you get stuck. With a standard tire, you can air down a little to increase tire footprint and maybe get unstuck, all the while risking the tire popping off the rim bead, since air is all that keeps it seated. That happens and you're done.

If the tire bead is mechanically locked to the wheel, it needs no air what so ever. So you could air down to say 5psi and have this big floppy tire getting double or more the traction of an inflated tire which would help you self recover quickly.
That happens to be part of my vehicle mission statement: Self recovery

Afterward, take a moment to air back up and proceed along your merry way. Beadlocks will go unnoticed until you need them, the all of a sudden captain America showed up at the party to help!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 07, 2014, 04:43:48 PM »
I just realized something.............this is the adult version of texting. Being ashamed, I'm going to do something constructive! Off to the gun store and range!

Don, I'm betting you'll have those fenders and doors off in no time, engine pulled or some other useful part of your fluid change procedures.

Ken, you better go to the store and get bread and milk, split some wood and hunker down! 

I'll check back in on you this evening to make sure all is well; news show said to check in on friends and neighbors in this weather!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 07, 2014, 04:44:25 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudakidd53 View Post
I just realized something.............this is the adult version of texting. Being ashamed, I'm going to do something constructive! Off to the gun store and range!

Don, I'm betting you'll have those fenders and doors off in no time, engine pulled or some other useful part of your fluid change procedures.

Ken, you better go to the store and get bread and milk, split some wood and hunker down! 

I'll check back in on you this evening to make sure all is well; news show said to check in on friends and neighbors in this weather!

I discovered a new technique for getting those beadlock centers installed:

Drop the whole mess off at the tire store!

Yup, with a minimum of effort, while I ate a Subway Philly steak and went to get a haircut, those boys got two of them done and were werkin' on a third. Probably all done right now!

That's the way to get it done!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 07, 2014, 04:45:58 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by m715 View Post
Well I saw your link over on Expedition Portal and thought I would take a look as I'm a fan of the simplicity of the 1st gen dodge diesels...

I must say this is an impressive build, awesome attention to detail and great documentation and pictures

You've given me a number of ideas that are running through my head for when I finally get around to putting a 12v Cummins in my 1968 M715 truck...

Keep up the good work 

Love those 715's.

Have an opportunity to pick one up, but I'm knee deep in these two projects plus the farm and Real Man and...

The 1st gen diesels are so rock solid...it's nearly impossible to dismiss them as THE go to power plant

Welcome aboard!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 07, 2014, 04:47:02 PM »
I can post some pics now, but I have to leave shortly for my evening of suffering at the gym!

Today I ripped the fenders and hood off and did some other tear down.

I started with the retrieval of the tires, now sporting their permanent double bead locks

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 07, 2014, 04:48:22 PM »
One trick I learned many moons ago was when removing body parts that are already fitted, Drill a couple 1/8" holes through the parts where they attach. When reassembling I insert Clecos into the holes which temporarily hold everything just right while I snug up the bolts once again.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 07, 2014, 04:49:47 PM »
Lets get some more truck ripped to shreds!

So. a few bolts later and the hood was off.
Talk about timing, about the time I was going to drop the hood onto the floor by way of the windshield, the shelf with the polish, my forehead and chin, my tall blonde daughter walks in.

"Katz, grab that hood" She bailed me out and we got the thing onto the rear frame area without further complications.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 07, 2014, 04:50:50 PM »
The hood, like everything else is in great shape. It will really only require a light scuff, primer and paint. I think I'll glue some sound mat stuff to the underside to keep that clakin' to a minimum

I removed the factory mat, discarded it, then vacuumed the debris from a couple decades up

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 07, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »
One of the pre-rangers who was playing the bad guy during todays mock battles left in a hurry, leaving his weapon to be vacuumed up and disposed of like all the other toyz he leaves layin' around...

I drilled the reference holes in the hinge just like the fender, then removed it. It. too, was lickin' clean

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 07, 2014, 04:52:46 PM »
I pulled the remaining fender bolts and yanked that sucker off and placed it on the back for temp storage

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 07, 2014, 04:53:32 PM »
These old square bodies pretty much all suffer from cracking in the cowl area. Mine is no exception:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 07, 2014, 04:54:35 PM »
The cowl box is, however completely rust free. THis truck is a real survivor!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 07, 2014, 04:55:11 PM »
Everything else is only dirty and otherwise in very good condition

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 07, 2014, 04:56:28 PM »
Next I removed the other fender and found some cracking over there as well

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 07, 2014, 04:57:42 PM »
The right cowl box was as perfect as the left one was

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 07, 2014, 04:58:34 PM »
And that's where she sits after build day 92

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 07, 2014, 05:00:13 PM »
I got a bit more of the teardown and clean up completed today Starting with the removal of the wheel wells

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 07, 2014, 05:01:01 PM »
Found this jack mount down near the air filter. I think I'll retask it for a jack mount on the gator

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 07, 2014, 05:01:54 PM »
This will inaugurate the start of the coil spring/radius arm suspension. I consider this the tear down phase and here the shocks and shock mounts have been removed

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: October 07, 2014, 05:02:34 PM »
Here's the start of the accumulation of parts that will be painted/renewed, processed, plated/who knows
I believe those shocks are destined for Duane's crew cab along with the front 6" springs

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 07, 2014, 05:03:31 PM »
Remember the HMMV wheel centers?

I am turning two of them into a jack stand of sorts.

My plan is to bolt these to the hubs which have the axle resting an inch or so lower than it will in final assembly

I then plan to clamp the front axle, with some big muffler clamps to a steel bar which will be actually welded to that huge hillbilly front bumper. I will finally extend legs down from the front bumper which will hold everything in place, while I remove stuff and build up the new suspension around it. At some point it will be connected to the new suspension and no longer in need of the positioning struts

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 07, 2014, 05:05:07 PM »
Then I went to scrubbing in all the areas I could not get into earlier. Using hot water and simple green along with judicious use of a brush, the thing came out clean enough to just paint.

Look at these pics and realize this is a 23 year old truck that lived in salt infested Kentucky. The condition of this vehicle gives little hint to it's earlier life if that life was a hard one

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 07, 2014, 05:06:06 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjZ06 View Post
Quick question, not trying to rain on your parade. But at this point, with as much as you've torn down, restored and reassembled and with hindsight being 20/20 would you just do a true frame-off restoration from the ground up, every nut 'n bolt if you had it all to do again?

-TJ

I absolutely would have

The oil change just got out of hand and evolved

Ya know...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 07, 2014, 05:22:17 PM »
OK, SBHTP (Super Bowl half time postin')

Sort of looks like I developed a problem on the right side of the rebuilt Sterling axle
That is an oil leak!
Grrrr...

Guess I get to see the inside of all that once again!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 07, 2014, 05:23:04 PM »
Well, that wasn't much of a game...Denver can say they showed up...
I'm a Manning fan ever since he went 13-0 in his senior year at Tennessee. Too bad his record year ends like this...
Congrats to Seattle and a brilliantly played game!

The new jack stands are working out well

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 07, 2014, 05:23:40 PM »
The object of today was to get the front end firmly secured for the surgery that starts this week
I went with the 6 X 6 stand assembly I build and used on the rear.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 07, 2014, 05:24:22 PM »
After pulling the stops off and trimming it to size, and adding a 2 X 6 to the top it fit and worked perfectly

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 07, 2014, 05:26:43 PM »
In my continuing search for rust, I am still not finding much if any!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 07, 2014, 05:27:29 PM »
This drag link, and the early Dodge push-pull steering will not be reused. Even though I replaced this part earlier, crossover steering completely renews the steering and pretty much removes the factory installed bump-steer

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal