Hello Guest

Author Topic: real/fresh/non store garbage locker beef  (Read 8503 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
real/fresh/non store garbage locker beef
« on: December 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM »
picked up a half cow (I got 1/4 and he got 1/4 of the cow, not sure who got the other half?) from the locker today, I split it with another guy that my sister knows.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: real/fresh/non store garbage locker beef
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 07:24:13 PM »
Nice!  :likebutton:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 08:28:40 PM »
is it a math problem or merely a quality play?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 08:50:01 PM »
is it a math problem or merely a quality play?

Explain please?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 08:50:14 PM »
When we used to do it in Indiana it was cost, quality & we supported good neighbors......
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 08:58:03 PM »
Nate, sorry. Didn't mean to be cryptic

I was wondering if you saved money by buying the cow, or if it was the same or more expensive but of higher quality.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 09:47:08 PM »
I was doing that with neighbors (we raised the cows and split all costs) but got lazy. Last couple times I bought a side from a different friend...he raised it..paid him half market rate, then paid the butcher myself... Wasn't much cheaper but I know how it was raised/fed. ...and also cut the way you request.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 10:00:06 PM »
So to answer your question, I have to explain a few things first.  I think this is exactly what it is that you are looking for?  If I am wrong, hopefully norm and or farmer jon can chime in and give corrections.

Here is a quick breakdown of weights and cost.  (this is just a guestimate and quick math) and this is split between 2 people.
- Hanging weight of half cow: 405lbs (divided by 2 = 202.5lbs per quarter)
- locker process fee - $281 (divided by 2 = $140.50 per person)
- fee paid to farmer for his cost of the feed - $810 (he charged us $2 per pound of the hanging weight (cost of feed?))
- total - $1091 divide by 2 = $545.5
- $545.5 divided by 202.5 = $2.69 per pound

here's a quick breakdown of the 8 grades of beef according to the USDA:
https://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=post&id=57A35098-1187-A9B6-47A6-8D299A8C1630

here is the full breakdown on how the USDA grades beef:
https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/production-and-inspection/inspection-and-grading-of-meat-and-poultry-what-are-the-differences_/inspection-and-grading-differences

and here is a general breakdown on what I explained above as well as what kinds of cuts and how many I can expect from ¼ - ½ - or whole cow:
http://www.newgrassfarm.com/ordering-quarters-halves-whole-beef

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=7XQ4WsbgOsmXjwS5haO4BQ&q=what+and+how+many+cuts+can+i+get+from+a+half+a+beef%3F&oq=what+and+how+many+cuts+can+i+get+from+a+half+a+beef%3F&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i160k1l2.3866.20623.0.20814.54.51.0.3.3.0.295.6337.1j40j4.45.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..6.46.6120...0j0i131k1j0i22i30k1j33i22i29i30k1j33i21k1.0.w7k1emRgG6c

so that is 1 reason why I went this route (because its pennies on the dollar for me to get all of that meat compared to getting it at the store).  the other reason I went this route is as follows.

Typical route that a cow takes from the farm to the store
1. farmer sells cow at stockyard (auction)
2. buyer then sells cow to feed lot/finishing lot or does it himself (don’t know what the stock yards and or finishing lots inject with)
3. cow is then sold to slaughter house
4. cow then goes thru many hands and is sprayed with all kinds of chemicals before packaging to make sure it last for a long time before freezing and to also assist in making it stay red (for prettiness/appeal).
5. sits in store for unknown number of days before you buy it and either put it directly in freezer or keep in fridge for another day or 3…..(who knows how many times that that piece of meat has been frozen and thawed before you got it)

So the way mine went:

1. BIL’s parents raised said cow, so I am aware of how it was raised/treated, what it was fed and what it was injected with (no hormones).
2. it went straight to locker where it was killed, cleaned, halved and hung
3. after 14 days it was processed  and it went straight into my freezer 1-2 days after processing.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:07:36 PM by nmeyer414 »

OldKooT

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 10:48:37 PM »
That price is about spot on Nate. Now.... here is reality check.

Grass fed Angus: Buy some feeder calves that are disfigured a little. They can go much cheaper at the sales barn..... Pasture them until market weight on grass..... *free basically and then age, butcher. Last 10 we raised cost us about $.86 a lb in the freezer.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 08:07:49 AM »
We also buy a 1/4 side of beef.  Much cheaper and much better quality meat.  I don't remember the exact numbers but I believe it worked out to about $2.60/ pound also.  A co-worker raises beef and we purchase from him.

I grew up on beef from the butcher. This wasn't beef cattle, but dairy cattle that were no longer useful/ well past their prime in the dairy barn that were sent of to be butchered.  When I first left for school and purchased meet from the grocery store I was appalled at the quality and lack of flavor in the meat.  We buy a 1/4 beef and 1/2 hog every year.  Any other meat purchases come from the local butcher here in town.  They do top notch work and their meat is local.  If I pat attention to their sale flyer and can get much better  quality meat at a cheaper price then any grocery store around.

Some day I would like to purchase the 5 or so acres around the house that aren't really part of the bigger field to raise some beef cattle on.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 08:23:25 AM »
Very interesting.  What amount of the different cuts do you get from a 1/2 cow?

Norm what do you mean a little disfigured?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldKooT

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 09:21:45 AM »
For those interested it pays to take a look at this. It's a simple to understand document that explains cuts/weights/market  and stuff of interest.

TRN....  Scaring, odd shaped heads/ears, in some breeds even coloration will change market values of a calf. These things have zero impact on your taste buds, but they affect grading and such, which impacts a finished steers value at a sale.

https://extension.tennessee.edu/publications/Documents/PB1822.pdf

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 10:09:56 AM »
Very interesting.  What amount of the different cuts do you get from a 1/2 cow?

Norm what do you mean a little disfigured?

are you asking...............

how many sirloin steaks, how many chuck roasts, how many ribeyes?

OldKooT

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 11:20:21 AM »
A little additional info for digestion. I just got done doing some local calling around to make sure I was up to date... not much has changed in pricing.

Range fed freezer ready chicken "5-7lb birds" are bringing $4.00 a pound. These are hormone/antibiotic free chickens. Range fed on grass and bugs. Cleaned/prepared USDA stamped birds.  ( I ordered 40 birds for next fall)

Corn fed beef, hormone free, seems to be hovering just under $3.00lb hanging. This would be roughly supermarket grade beef without the "bad" you will find in store bought meat. So good stuff....and what most are used to eating. But you have to "shop" and get to know the farm/ranch to make sure how it's raised.

Grass fed 2yr old Angus Steer, aged 14 days after hanging...lean healthy beef. These are bringing about $4.00-$4.50lb hanging roughly. These would be top of the line high end beef. The stuff you'll pay $20lb for in say rib-eye form.

Farm fresh Turkey, froze USDA stamped range fed $3.75lb

Farm raised hogs... $3.00lb hanging for grass fed hogs. Slaughtered at 200-220lbs for ultimate taste

All the above grass fed animals are raised in a pure grass environment. They have never so much as seen corn, or a corn stalk...Zero GMO, No pesticides, No growth hormones, no chlorine dips, no injected fluids.... just as God intended it, meat raised on Gods intended diet....Ie: grass.

I didn't price out for you all some other meats... but Grass Fed Lamb's are about $9lb hanging as an example.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 11:26:48 AM »
Great info Norm.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 10:55:56 PM »
That price is about spot on Nate. Now.... here is reality check.

Grass fed Angus: Buy some feeder calves that are disfigured a little. They can go much cheaper at the sales barn..... Pasture them until market weight on grass..... *free basically and then age, butcher. Last 10 we raised cost us about $.86 a lb in the freezer.

I need to do that down farmside Norm

Know any Coyote resistant breeds?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 07:00:25 AM »
Nothing better than local raised beef. When we run out and have to get store bought you notice the quality is not as good right away. Between my brothers family and mine a 1200-1300 critter last about a year give or take.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 11:10:03 PM »
And the ground beef is from the same critter, not the store bought hamburger cow or out of country bull meat stuff.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 09:11:12 AM »
And the ground beef is from the same critter, not the store bought hamburger cow or out of country bull meat stuff.

That is correct

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 01:56:07 PM »
This is how we’ve been buying beef since 2012. Bought whole cow last two times.

The most recent steer was right at 2, rancher wasn’t exactly sure. Raised in the mountains down in south east AZ.

1000$ for the steer on the hoof.
815lb hanging
.76$ per lb process
85$ slaughter fee
About 450lbs of packaged meat.
Roughly $3.78 per lb of meat in my freezer. Including tongue, liver and heart.

And a boat load of dog bones!

It Was great, and will be doing it again!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 11:12:17 AM »
Here is a chuck roast that i did the other night.  It is one from my locker beef.  Good marbling and DAMN did it taste good.

I started off trying to use a small 6qt crockpot, but quickly found out that i had to pull out the 12qt cast iron dutch oven..... :shocked:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal