Hello Guest

Author Topic: New to me workbench and other stuff  (Read 685 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New to me workbench and other stuff
« on: December 06, 2021, 08:45:40 PM »
Been looking for a metal workbench for home. Got the big one at the Ridge but wanted something a smaller and having wheels would be cool.

So after looking on FB and CL for a month or so, one came up about an hour away. Was in the Hills above Placerville.

People are selling these things for what they cost today. 5-600 was very common for something around 4ft square.

This came up at 175, offered 150 and they accepted. Wheels, shelf, even an older vise that works well. Was told it came from the water dept there and had a SS top and some angle iron as a drain. Rolls like a dream and the wheels even have locks.

Then the fun began as in backing into the drive. It was off single lane country road (off HWY 49). I moved 2 railroad ties and several rocks they had placed to stop turn arounds. Gate was just 12ft wide, 90* to the road. It took about 20 minutes backing the deckover in with the Dmax and I bent 1 post just a tad (I repaired before I left)

Since I have no winch on the trailer yet I had to use the tie downs as a come alongs. A good hour later I pulled out glad it was done.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 09:43:10 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: New to me workbench
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 11:54:22 PM »
It would appear there is more than 150$ worth of steel there, so it certainly looks like a good find.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New to me workbench
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 12:01:38 AM »
I priced a 1/2 4x4 plate and it was $300 alone. Think I did OK.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New to me workbench and other stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 09:53:26 PM »
So in the market for a real parts cleaner for some time now. Not for here, but the ridge.

Found a washer for $1100, but it needed a new pump motor that was diagnosed by service call for popping breakers (priced out at $400 to 700). Seeing if I can just get it rebuilt. Keeping it at home here now until repaired.

It was a 3 day event picking it up in Placerville. First day using FB messenger the guy never got the message until I went home after over an hour.

Day 2 it started snowing, no issue for me, but power went out in the whole town and everything shutdown. Couldn't get ahold of anyone, youngest was with me too.

Called the next day and got the owner, came to a deal a little under listed. Son came again, was a cool trip even with all the snow and slush.

During this we got burgers at 5 Guys in Folsom and the service was CRAP. 40 minutes to get 2 burgers and they were not busy but the "kids" were overwelmed and turning customers away.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 10:02:54 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 10:22:43 PM »
When we got home, a "liquidation sale" showed up in the next town. Youngest and I ran over since it showed a lot of industrial items including a big compressor and flamables cabinet (which I have been eyeing too)

They had 2 cabinets in great shape asking $250 each, but the smaller one was full of paint, coatings, tapping fluid and such. I got the smaller (72x48x16) with all the contents for asking for the $250. Stuff inside was worth another 250 at least. Even had keys and extra heat fuses. Son got a really nice little cabinet for $25.

The compressor was a 10hp, 80gal ingolsol rand. I wanted it bad, just $250, but it was 3 phase. Heck I could flip it and make a grand easy but they had no way to load it. I did leave my info so we will see.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 10:42:26 PM »
Also have been looking for a 2 post lift. New would be great but the prices for something nice is crazy and not getting better.

So I found a 9k Rotary asymmetrical about 100 miles away, way less than 1/2 new price and ready to go. Others were farther, you had to take down when they were ready or dig up from a field and loading was up to you. This was sitting on trailer and he had a excavator to load. He just got bigger ones.

Was just as he said, parts were organized, hoses plugged, just nice. 2K and it was mine. His poor little Yanmar mini struggled, but we got it loaded up.

Trip home was fun, going past Sears Point in Sonoma, traffic stopped. Took 2 hours to get to Vallejo and there was a nasty wreck on the bridge over Mare Island Straight (yep, the old shipyard "hobbyshop") Seems a semi jackknifed, went over the railing smashing a camry (killing its driver) then burned. Front axle was about 100ft behind it where a ford truck with a smashed front end say on the other side on the divider. Pic shows what I saw but from the press.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Weird, last time I went the same way (hwy 37 - Lakeville Hwy) a motorcyclist was killed.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 10:46:35 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 05:08:51 AM »
Sounds like a great productive week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 11:28:52 AM »
Knarly accident^^^

So, has anyone been taking inventory of our new normal?

America today is not what it was two years ago

Restaurant service is poor, food is not as good...The newest generation is all but crap at most tasks I see. Can't function as a team at McDonalds, knows nothing at auto parts stores, unable to communicate if asked a question, and sense of responsibility is barely present.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 11:51:08 AM »
Knarly accident^^^

So, has anyone been taking inventory of our new normal?

America today is not what it was two years ago

Restaurant service is poor, food is not as good...The newest generation is all but crap at most tasks I see. Can't function as a team at McDonalds, knows nothing at auto parts stores, unable to communicate if asked a question, and sense of responsibility is barely present.
I think customer service in the food industry has been crap for longer then two years, we don’t go out much and haven’t for a long time.

Hope to see the next election make some major channges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 08:45:28 PM »
Starting to go through the contents of the paint cabinet. More than doubled my $$$ here, 5 boxes.

Epoxy floor paint, 5 quarts of tap magic, 30 cans of spray paint, pumps, traps, lubricants and lots of odd ball stuff.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 12:45:20 AM »
So I finally went through the 5 boxes of stuff I got with the cabinet. Worth another $250 at least.

5 cans of CLP, 5 bottles of tap magic (2 alum), glues, silver solder, anti seize, molly spray, pulling past, floor epoxy, loctite and so much more.

Paints are mostly untouched (whole bin), then a bin of cleaning stuff, pumps and little things.

Hardest part was my son just threw it all in, not paying attention to bottles vs sealed containers. Little spilling I caught before we left.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal