Hello Guest

Author Topic: The Adventure Hoe  (Read 26890 times)

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: The Adventure Hoe
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2015, 08:48:44 PM »

Or just drop a 4BT in there!

I like this idea

I will get you all my wife's email address and you can convince her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2015, 09:29:33 PM »

Or just drop a 4BT in there!

I like this idea

I will get you all my wife's email address and you can convince her!

Or get her to join herself and over time she will see the light...the light from the exhaust of a built Cummins!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2015, 09:31:58 PM »
Maybe set it up for multi fuel? Can always drain the crankcases of all the abandoned cars on the interstate and run her on black gold. I'm starting to like this idea more and more.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2015, 09:37:05 PM »
Maybe set it up for multi fuel? Can always drain the crankcases of all the abandoned cars on the interstate and run her on black gold. I'm starting to like this idea more and more.

Now you do know that YOU CAN actually do that, right?

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2015, 09:40:45 PM »
Oh yeah. I know. One of my fondest truck memories is running my old 92 F250 7.3idi with old motor oil and tranny fluid mixed in with the fuel. I could roll black coal for miles just with normal driving.

You guys have for me to thinking that this may be a doable idea.... I think my folks still have an old d350 sitting at their place....

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2015, 09:44:46 PM »
Oh yeah. I know. One of my fondest truck memories is running my old 92 F250 7.3idi with old motor oil and tranny fluid mixed in with the fuel. I could roll black coal for miles just with normal driving.

You guys have for me to thinking that this may be a doable idea.... I think my folks still have an old d350 sitting at their place....

It's definitely doable. You could even keep it stock independent front suspension with that 4BT. A 6BT would crush that front diff and you wouldn't find torsion bars enough to hold all that up with the two extra holes

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2015, 12:50:35 PM »
Me too.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2015, 04:09:17 PM »
That coating is growing on me. I like the texture, and it would be way tougher than regular paint. Touch ups would blend easy.

You said only 5 quarts??
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2015, 04:14:07 PM »
I am really happy with it so far. This is the second vehicle I have used raptor liner on and it held up very nicely on the first one. I have a set of fender flares to liner black and get installed some time next week.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2015, 08:06:33 AM »
That turned out really well.  Did you like the door jams?  Also did you do anything special when rolling across a body seam?  I've been thinking about doing this with my truck but was wondering how well rolling it on will get the color into the gaps between panels.

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2015, 10:09:05 AM »

That turned out really well.  Did you like the door jams?  Also did you do anything special when rolling across a body seam?  I've been thinking about doing this with my truck but was wondering how well rolling it on will get the color into the gaps between panels.

The door jambs are a slightly darker olive drab color but it isn't noticeable with doors closed. I would have liked to liner the jambs but I have a buddy who lined his and the weatherstripping first discolored it and then it started peeling.

The only thing I did special when going over a seam is to make sure that the liner was able to wrap around the edge of the panel to give it a more finished look.

We spent the weekend out west at my folks so no progress was made on the Tahoe this weekend. I am hoping to get the flares lined and mounted over the course of the next week.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2015, 09:05:46 PM »
So you popped the hood and lined over the edge, and opened the doors to line around the edge of the panel?  Sorry to be a pain but the more I think about it this is the way I'm gonna go and you're the first person I've talked to that's done it themselves.   

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
The Adventure Hoe
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2015, 09:11:50 PM »
That is correct. Basically, when I rolled the panel next to the edge, I wanted some "creep" from the liner to cover the panel edge.

If there is anything I can suggest when using the liner it is to make sure that you prepare the surface well. 120 grit sand scratches and then a thorough dust down followed by wiping the surface with MEK, which will soften the paint and help to provide a chemical bond for the liner on top of the mechanical bond from sanding.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:24:31 AM by HuskerTrev »
Thomas Jefferson

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2015, 11:07:31 PM »
A quick update. No pictures tonight unfortunately, but I will get some uploaded very soon. Gathered the bits and pieces for the roof rack this weekend and tonight was the first night that I had five extra minutes to start bending some tube. I know it will probably elicit some groans, but I am going to build this rack out of conduit. My thoughts on this are a) its a heckuva lot lighter than regular tubing b) the heaviest things that are going to be stored up there are our tent and canopy b) it's galvanized inside and out (I know not weld galvanized and breathe in the fumes, but galvanization is super important here in the cornhusker state) d) its cheap, like super cheap, like cheap enough that if I decided to use cubits instead of feet and screwed up the conversion math I would be out 30 bucks.

Anyways, I was able to get the main pieces bent this evening. I am hoping I can get all the pieces cut tomorrow evening and be ready to make smoke Thursday or Friday evening. I am going to wind up welding this one up at my workplace, as the breakers in  my apartments garages won't handle my welder.

Now to get some sleep!
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2015, 08:06:59 AM »
W E L L,  E R R R,  A H H H

You have a pretty cool and unique truck going on so far. Good products, lots of labor, and a pretty unique vehicle overall.

You haven't been all that attuned to cost up to this point, favoring quality over cost, I think.
So
Why would you have changed up that formula?

Obviously you know why conduit is so much lighter and costs less...There's less of it there
And the metal is of a low quality and made thin wall so electricians can easily bend it on the job. Same way it is going to bend when a person steps on it, a kid tries a chin up on it, you put a water or fuel can on it and so forth

Conduit is not structural, only a metal sheath for wire. It will not last and when it starts to bend your cool truck is going to start to look otherwise.

Regular 1" steel tubing is not very expensive and won't bend up, well under normal expedition vehicle loads, won't.

I applaud your building a roof rack but would encourage you throw out the insulation and go get some real steel tubing.

Soldier on!

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2015, 08:13:17 AM »

W E L L,  E R R R,  A H H H

You have a pretty cool and unique truck going on so far. Good products, lots of labor, and a pretty unique vehicle overall.

You haven't been all that attuned to cost up to this point, favoring quality over cost, I think.
So
Why would you have changed up that formula?

Obviously you know why conduit is so much lighter and costs less...There's less of it there
And the metal is of a low quality and made thin wall so electricians can easily bend it on the job. Same way it is going to bend when a person steps on it, a kid tries a chin up on it, you put a water or fuel can on it and so forth

Conduit is not structural, only a metal sheath for wire. It will not last and when it starts to bend your cool truck is going to start to look otherwise.

Regular 1" steel tubing is not very expensive and won't bend up, well under normal expedition vehicle loads, won't.

I applaud your building a roof rack but would encourage you throw out the insulation and go get some real steel tubing.

Soldier on!

Let's just say this is roof rack 1.0. :) I've never fab up anything like this so this is going to be my learning curve project.

On the other hand, we are taking a six day trip out to western Nebraska to introduce my soon to be fourth grader to some of the sites he is going to learn this year in Nebraska history, so I am in a bit of a time crunch to get this one made. If all goes well on it, plan for a heavier roof rack 2.0 in the future!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2015, 08:17:33 AM »
I hope it works for ya!

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2015, 08:19:05 AM »
If it doesn't, I will only be out $30. ;)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2015, 09:11:28 AM »
Where you headed out in western NE?   

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2015, 09:17:43 AM »
We are heading northwest from Omaha to ash fall fossil beds. The up to Valentine to the Mackenzie forest then further west to Fort Robinson then south to Scottsbluff, Chimney Rock, jailhouse and courthouse rock. The a detour south to the canyon massacre site, probably going to stop in Grand Island and go the the Stuhr museum. My hometown is only 20 minutes from there so we have to stop and see mom and dad too.
It is going to be an interesting trip. My wife is from Missouri so she hasn't seen any of the Nebraska history sites yet either.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2015, 09:27:37 AM »
That definately is a good historic road trip.  We took many field trips up to Ft Robinson growing up.  Stuhr Museum was always one of my favorite places.  Don't forget the arch out side of Kearney.  Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?   I grew up in Dunning and my mom is still in Broken Bow. 

There's some decent dirt roads and scenery in the National Forest at Halsey also if you ever need a camping destination. 

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2015, 09:32:03 AM »
I grew up in Aurora. I spent a considerable amount of time at the Stuhr and Fort Kearny when I was Civil War Reenacting. They are a couple of my favorite places in the state. We talked about staying at Halsey but trying to squeeze that into the loop is a bit much for this trip. Halsey was our normal spring break camping spot all through college. One if my best friends from college was from Merna so he and I spent a lot of time stalking mulees up in the canyons around Broken Bow.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2015, 09:37:55 AM »
Small world.  Like I said my mom is back there and I still have a bunch of friends in Halsey.  I haven't lived there in 15 years but it will always be home.

Next time you make it to Halsey have dinner at the Double T and IM me and I'll make sure you get a beer on me.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 09:40:09 AM by husker77c »

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2015, 09:17:14 PM »
Just a quick check in to let you fellows know that I am still in the land of the living. I have been so incredibly busy with work and life since we returned from our out west trip and I haven't had a chance to upload any photos so I can post them up for you all! I am hoping to get an hour or two to myself this weekend and then the posting can commence!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2015, 09:21:09 PM »
Thanks for the update.  Look forward to more.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2015, 11:40:08 PM »
Rock on, great to hear from ya. Hope you had a great trip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2015, 12:08:08 PM »
Isn't it amazing how live gets in the way so much.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2017, 03:58:15 PM »
Soo..... have decided that the adventure hoe is going to need a facelift. I recently became a Speedliner Kevlar bedliner dealer and I think the Adventure Hoe would make a great platform to market the coating, not to mention that I noticed a few bubbles starting on the rockers, so they will need replaced anyway. I also picked up an air snorkel and a new used arb bumper for the front end. Here are a couple of pics to try and keep it interesting.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2017, 04:20:18 PM »
Pics and updates are good. Lets not wait 1.5 more years for more. My Sub is taking long enough.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2017, 04:23:34 PM »
I promise I will document and post more than every 18 months!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2017, 05:51:35 PM »
What is this???

I don't remember anything of it...

Been longer than the last update on SquareD  :wink:

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2017, 06:35:15 PM »
What is this???

I don't remember anything of it...

Been longer than the last update on SquareD  :wink:

Impossible.... :popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2017, 07:05:05 PM »
Hardy har har. Here's some evidence of what I have been up to in the last 18 months:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2017, 10:36:46 PM »
That looks really swell, I still want to put a clear coat over it and see how it holds up

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2017, 10:47:02 PM »
Great update.  I can't wait to see the results. 

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2017, 11:59:44 PM »
Is that an industrial 6BT?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2017, 06:23:40 AM »
I had the opportunity to buy the body shop in my home town last year. After quite a bit of back and  forth with the owner we were able to settle on terms that worked for both of us, so last July I left the dealership body shop I had ran for the previous six years and we moved from Omaha to Aurora. It has been an adventure for sure!

JR: that is a cat c16 engine. A company in Doniphan (about 30 miles from here) builds glider semis. They put older cat engines in them to skirt around the emissions regulations that our former buddy @ 1600 Pennsylvanian Avenue pushed through. Each engine is custom painted for the customer. This is the first of 10 that they contracted with me to do.

Here is what they look like when I get them:

I soda blast the engine and on this one did some polish work:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:26:04 AM by HuskerTrev »
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2017, 07:36:27 AM »
That motor looks awesome.
You've been busy for the past year by the sounds of things.
Congrats on your new endeavor.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2017, 12:22:38 PM »
Sweet. I built a few gliders when I worked in Sonoma. Most of ours were V12s (early 80s)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2017, 07:43:40 PM »
Can some one tell me what a glider is? I think them silly squirrel sugar glider things

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2017, 07:49:16 PM »
A glider is usually a stretched and lowered semi tractor. Here is an example:

And back to the Hoe, plan on some major updates this weekend. I have blocked off all day Saturday and after church on Sunday as get some major work done days. Planning on getting all the bolt on panels off, the glass cut out and the rocker panels installed.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2017, 08:50:48 PM »
That's cool.  Thanks

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2017, 08:54:05 PM »
I thought a glider kit was a "new" body and frame sold without an engine or transmission to allow non emission engines to be run a "newer" truck??

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2017, 08:55:02 PM »
Technically yes, but the vast majority of them are being built like this one.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2017, 11:47:11 PM »
Technically yes, but the vast majority of them are being built like this one.

I agree, built a couple.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2017, 08:43:35 AM »
So back to what this thread is about, the Adventure Hoe. Didn't get nearly as much done this weekend as I wanted, had to work on paying jobs instead of playing. I did get the back torn down, hopefully I can get the rest torn apart on the next couple of days.

Plans are to get all of the bolt on sheet metal off this week, add heat exchanger vents to the hood, finish the snorkel install and fill the gas filler access indent.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2017, 12:56:01 PM »
Oh, wait

This is gettin cool   :likebutton:

So please review for those piluts amongst us who are not mentally all that gifted...What's the plan?

Reacive armor? Hippie urban flower camo? :shocked:

Gun ports...What?  :popcorn:

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2017, 03:32:01 PM »
Sorry, been swamped at the shop and battling a monster cold here.

Don, to answer your question, yes yes and yes.

Actually, I decided that when I became a Speedliner dealer, I would redo the Tahoe in it as a rolling promotional. I get asked all the time about the finish on it and figured this would be a good way to draw some business out of it. I was rushed in getting things finished for our trip two years ago and didn't get to do everything that I wanted to her, so this is my do over. So far the plans include:

Heat exchangers on the hood
An ARB front bumper
Custom rear bumper with fuel and tire swing outs
Fresh air snorkel install
New rocker panels
Rock slider/assist steps for my lovely but vertically challenged wife.
New trailer hitch
Brackets for the roof rack and addition of side lights

That is the plan for the exterior. Once I get that finished up, I will let you in on the interior mods.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2017, 10:58:11 PM »
Well, like I said (Somewhere...??) I like it!

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2017, 07:58:35 AM »
 :popcorn:

This will be fun to watch.....I think the Tahoe/Yukon platform is a great one for families while also offering some reasonable off road capabilities.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal