Hello Guest

Author Topic: summer sausage  (Read 7665 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
summer sausage
« on: September 27, 2014, 02:32:42 PM »
so here is a summer sausage recipe for you all. this recipe was given to me by my second ex-wife's dad. this is so good, he sent me 3 different box's on my last deployment and each box disappeared the day they arrived.

ingredients:
- 2lbs 93/7 ground beef (you want very lean meat for this)
- 2tsp liquid smoke
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder (if you love garlic like I do, add more)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2tsp mustard seed
- 2 TBLSP Morton curing salt
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns (more if you prefer)
- 1-2 bottles of kitchen bouquet

directions:
1. mix all ingredients together except kitchen bouquet, place in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator.

2. once a day you must remove mixture from the refrigerator and give it a good mixin and put back in the fridge.

3. after 3-5 days (no longer than 6) remove mixture from fridge and roll / form into logs (you may find that if you add just a wee bit of water to the mixture before you form it, they will form a lot easier)

4. brush a liberal coat of the kitchen bouquet all over each log and place into a 180-190deg F smoker.

5. place your thermometer onto sausage and smoke until you reach 165-170 deg F (approx. 6-8 hrs)

once they are complete and removed from the smoker, let cool, place in air tight bags and place into the freezer.

NOTE:
this is just a basic recipe, feel free to add whatever additional spices or flavors you prefer.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: summer sausage
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 07:38:54 AM »
Nate, how salty is this summer sausage recipe?  Have you tried stuffing it into casings?

There are two things about my recent batch of venison summer sausage that I don't like: 

First, it is a bit moist.  The "Backwoods" brand mix that I used tells you to use one ounce of water per pound. Maybe that is too much if you are stuffing into casings; moisture doesn't seem to move through the fibrous casings during the "cooking" phase very well…

Second, its a little on the salty side.  Not too bad, but a little bit.

When we burn through what I made, I am going to try your recipe...

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 06:15:44 PM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 01:28:40 PM »
this recipe is not real salty to me but then again I have been told my taste buds are a little off.

if the sticks are too moist you may have not let it sit long enough.  after you ground everything and added the curing salt, how long did you let it rest for?  when using curing salt, you have to let it sit for a few days to let the salt do its thing by pulling out the moisture of the meat.  that could be the reason for the moist sausage?

also, I was told that I can use this recipe for venison as well, I just have to use a 4:1 venison to beef (the leaner the better) mixture.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:30:44 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 06:14:41 PM »
On the second pass through the grinder, the mix went directly through the stuffing tube and into the casing.  I let it sit in the fridge overnight and then slowly ran the temp up to 165-170 degrees in the oven (My smoker would not accommodate the 14" sausages). 

Next time I'll let it sit outside the casing in the fridge to allow the moisture to separate, evaporate or whatever it does.  I don't think the casing allows enough moisture to pass through.  That means a grinder cleaning in between steps but that's alright.       

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 08:29:22 PM »
Testimony: I had some of that summer sausage today. I thought it was pretty darn good. Really good, actually. Served on a cracker with some spreadable sharp cheddar it was perfect
I'm having a hard time saving some for the pre-ranger
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 08:35:33 PM »
I want some...
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 09:52:11 PM »
I want some...

Duane...You see this???

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 12:41:05 PM »
I want some...

Duane...You see this???
Deer season is upon us, Bobby.  I have two cousins who are both Wisconsin DNR officers.  They tell me that WI is absolutely crawling with deer.  Need I say more???

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 01:10:43 PM »
Deer season is upon us, Bobby.  I have two cousins who are both Wisconsin DNR officers.  They tell me that WI is absolutely crawling with deer.  Need I say more???

I know deer season is upon us. I don't hunt on public land, unless I have ample time to scout, and then still have to deal with idiots.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 05:56:00 AM »
Unfortunately, you still have to deal with idiots even on private land sometimes.  I had to chase the same guy off of my land two times within a week a few years back.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 10:02:29 AM »
Unfortunately, you still have to deal with idiots even on private land sometimes.  I had to chase the same guy off of my land two times within a week a few years back.

Used to hunt on the farm my mom,aunts and uncles grew up on. But my uncle died and, as far as I know, the farm got sold. The local(ish) area I might hunt at, not many people use anymore. Used to be popular, but people got shot/shot at, so most stayed away. I'll have to go check the land out and see if it's worth it for next season.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 03:54:27 PM »
On the "wet" sausage, I have done the stuffing right after mixing as well as the 3-5 day rest. Stuffing immediately is much easier, as once the salts work the meat becomes quite firm. If you have a decent stuffer this is not an issue, however using a grinder to stuff it may be tough.
If you do the direct stuff, the salts still need the time to work. If I do the mix and stuff, I'll generally stick the stuffed goods in the fridge for a few days to cure, then smoke them.
If they are still moist at this point, this is now cured and cooked meat, and we can let it hang a day or two to allow it to dry out. You just need to be careful not to go too far.
I'll hang pepperettes for a few days, I prefer them almost completely dry. A bit more workout to chew, but they don't ever go bad once cured and dried out.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 10:57:09 AM »
all right folks, here is the beginning of batch number 2 of the homemade summer sausage.  they will be getting formed today and put on the smoker.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 11:59:15 AM »
Man, I wish we were a little closer (geographically, lol).
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 11:58:31 AM »
and here the summer sausage is on the smoker getting ready to smoke for 6-8 hrs at180-200 deg.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 12:14:53 PM »
Curious as to why there are no casings-  ???

Looks like they're gonna be great!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 03:37:52 PM »
give me a little to find you an answer mike.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 04:22:07 PM »
That stuff looks unfit for human consumption!

Where is the precision in all that?

Un even all rough looking on the sides, deformed and a bit on the odd side

Send it up here and I'll have it thoroughly tested to ensure it is indeed safe to consume!

NCO's...

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 07:25:18 PM »

Send it up here and I'll have it thoroughly tested to ensure it is indeed safe to consume!

NCO's...

NCO's handle NCO business... so I'll test it.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 10:21:32 AM »
and here are the results!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 10:51:31 AM »
Now there is some serious smoke. And my mouth is watering now.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 12:22:01 PM »
Curious as to why there are no casings-  ???

Looks like they're gonna be great!

mike, I asked the question on http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206394 and this response just about sums it up in think?

"Just as you can buy link sausage or bulk sausage without a casing...
Simply put, the person who created the recipe may have not had a sausage stuffer, or they felt it was easier to form by hand rather than stuff.

The same is true with snack sticks, some call for a casing while others are squeezed out of a what looks like a caulking gun without the casing.

Some jerky recipes call for ground meat rather than sliced, and then rolled out and cut before drying.

It's all a matter of personal preference as to what works best for you..

Let us know how your endeavor turned out. They look really great."

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 06:59:55 PM »
I have a new batch started today and will be smoking sunday.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2015, 10:02:31 AM »
so since was up early this morning getting the pork belly ready and on the smoker, I figured I would get the lates batch of summer sausage prepped and ready to put directly on the smoker tomorrow morning.

you know, it really is peaceful sittin outside smellin the smoke from the smoker while sippin some good coffee and just enjoying the peaceful ness of the morning.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2015, 03:12:14 PM »
went on at 1230 and they will relax until 165deg IT

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 07:11:54 PM »
10lbs of beef prepped for summer sausage.  1 regular, 1 hot and spicy and 1 bbq flavor.

Its got 5 days in the fridge then on the smoker

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 06:57:21 PM »
here it is all prepped to go into the smoker

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 06:57:56 PM »
3 hrs along

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 06:58:23 PM »
I am at about 5 hrs right now and have about 20 more deg to go............

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2017, 11:02:14 PM »
And after 9 hrs at 225-250 deg we have 12 logs of salami

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2017, 12:09:55 AM »
Nate, are you set up for stuffing casings. Not that forming rolls doesn't work. Friend does lots of pepperoni and many kinds of sausage.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2017, 10:33:31 AM »
That looks sinisterly (Is that even a word??) good my friend!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2017, 03:20:07 PM »
Nate, are you set up for stuffing casings. Not that forming rolls doesn't work. Friend does lots of pepperoni and many kinds of sausage.

I do have a stuffer bob, i believe its a 5lb one from lem.  Speaking of the stuffer, i think its been 2 years since i made brats.....

This morning i pulled out the 12 lbs of cold sausage, and got them all vacuum sealed and put in the freezer.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2017, 03:23:17 PM »
Didn't keep one of each out to be tested? A lot of people will be disappointed with you.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2017, 03:30:02 PM »
Oh 1 of each is in the fridge for testing purposes on sunday......lol

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2017, 05:41:04 PM »
Oh 1 of each is in the fridge for testing purposes on sunday......lol
Proper thing I'd say.
Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal