Hello Guest

Author Topic: Homemade Mayonnaise  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Homemade Mayonnaise
« on: June 03, 2015, 06:49:30 PM »
so this is a recipe that I came across that belongs to alton brown from the food network.  I fiddled with the basic recipe a little here and there but for the most part the original recipe is still intact.

•1 egg yolk*
•1/2 teaspoon fine salt
•1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
•2 pinches sugar
•2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
•1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
•1 cup oil, safflower or corn

•In a glass bowl, whisk together egg yolk and dry ingredients. Combine lemon juice and vinegar in a separate bowl then thoroughly whisk half into the yolk mixture. Start whisking briskly, then start adding the oil a few drops at a time until the liquid seems to thicken and lighten a bit, (which means you've got an emulsion on your hands). Once you reach that point you can relax your arm a little (but just a little) and increase the oil flow to a constant (albeit thin) stream. Once half of the oil is in add the rest of the lemon juice mixture.

Continue whisking until all of the oil is incorporated. Leave at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours then refrigerate for up to 1 week.

now, I did this in our kitchen aid stand mixer and I also multiplied it by 4.  this is also the second time I made this.  the first time I made this, I took the jar to the VFW and put it out for all to enjoy during our memorial day meal.  I got nothing but rave reviews from the older folks that grew up on homemade mayonnaise and they said it tasted just like when they were little.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:51:49 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade Mayonnaise
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 10:04:12 PM »
That's what I like bout you Nate. You don't skimp on the kitchen tools

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 10:36:32 PM »
i have begun to work smarter not harder.......... ;D
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 11:16:35 AM »
Big Alton Brown fan myself. I can also attest that this is a durn good recipe. I'll have to try your variation now too!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 11:12:19 AM »
i have begun to work smarter not harder.......... ;D
Wisdom is good.

I was referring to the quality of tools.   You spend the coin where it needs to be spent and not on things that don't make a difference.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 12:25:04 PM »
that is correct, thank you.

but while talking about stand mixers and quality kitchen equipment, I came across this bad boy yesterday and was in awe.  just wish I could afford it. 

http://www.hobartcorp.com/products/food-prep/mixers/n50-5-quart-mixer/

I also learned that the kitchen aid stand mixer that was like a tank was owned and built by Hobart, and then sold off sometime around the 80's I believe to Kenmore then sent over seas to be manufactured.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal