Hello Guest

Author Topic: New Garden with the kids  (Read 3857 times)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
New Garden with the kids
« on: June 23, 2015, 11:36:55 AM »
So Cyndie took the kids to the country store in town, (sort of like a co-op) and got some seeds. Came home last night and she tells me, "well honey, we're going to do the garden you wanted finally, but we have to get it done tonight since we're going camping this weekend and you're working the next two nights". So from 5:30 to 7:00 me and Sam, (my oldest) and his buddy Kegan dug through the dry dusty rocks and dead grass out by our fire pit and came up with this little starter garden. Sophie and her little neighbor buddy Landon planted pumpkins, sunflowers, zucchini, carrots and radishes. They had a blast and will be maintaining this patch on their own. didn't get any "before" pics to show how desolate it was before but just look around the sides there and you'll get a good idea.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New Garden with the kids
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 11:43:37 AM »
The two "W's"

Water

Weeds

Have fun!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 12:01:18 PM »
As you can see by the condition of the grass around the garden, sunlight is not an issue. I've got a sprinkler head that will irrigate the whole garden at once that Sam will be running twice a day. Sophie is on weed duty. Depending on the outcome of this project, we have about 4 acres of surrounding property to play with. and a neighborhood that is interested in getting involved.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 12:27:03 PM »
That is awesome! Nothin' like homegrown veggies and fruit!

You're going to have GREAT sun/heat over the next couple weeks to germinate those seeds in a hurry. (Don't tell the rest of the country that think it rains here year round). Water water water. If you guys are going to be away from home at all for any duration, these in line programmable spigot timers work awesome too and are cheap! http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62061N-91213-Single-Dial-Water-Timer/dp/B004INGS8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435076487&sr=8-1&keywords=hose+timer
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 03:57:03 PM »
Ordered! Nice find, we were petitioning or neighbor to keep up with the watering while we're camping. 

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 07:09:30 PM »
Man I'm excited for you! We just had salad out of the garden last night again. Our little garden is going bonkers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 10:01:24 PM »
Ordered! Nice find, we were petitioning or neighbor to keep up with the watering while we're camping.

Disregard the postings of a tired man
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 02:08:18 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 10:34:08 PM »
Bobby, did you even read Kyle's post?

Grunts. :facepalmwhilepokingbobbyintheeye
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 10:36:29 PM »
I hope it does well. We love fresh vegetables.  Our garden hasn't done well at all.  To much rain flooded it out.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 11:37:48 PM »
Bobby, did you even read Kyle's post?

Grunts. :facepalmwhilepokingbobbyintheeye

I really didn't. I usually skim over the replies and usually can decipher if someone posted something similar to what I was going to, but I didn't catch it. However in my defense, I had driven 20 + hours yesterday and just returned this morning so I wasn't really paying attention to the replies.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 01:07:16 AM »
Nothing better than a garden at some place other than mine. While growing up it was my job, after my folks planted close to half an acre, to water, weed, thin, harvest, pack the jars, and watch the canner. Just when the stuff was ready to pick the prices dropped  at the market for fresh picked out of the garden products. Go fishing or swimming in the lake, sure right after spending the day taking care of the garden. I might grow a few corn plants and one or two tomato plants now, but a garden....I have better things to do with my time. But, times are not quite as tight now either.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 08:32:39 AM »
Bobby.....lol. I would ask why were you driving 20 hrs. ...I mean where were you driving? ....I would ask but I don't want to DOT up Tates thread.

Our garden did pretty good up until the temps went past 110. I had to take a bowl out there to gather popcorn for a movie last night.

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 09:11:51 AM »
Nothing better than a garden at some place other than mine. While growing up it was my job, after my folks planted close to half an acre, to water, weed, thin, harvest, pack the jars, and watch the canner. Just when the stuff was ready to pick the prices dropped  at the market for fresh picked out of the garden products. Go fishing or swimming in the lake, sure right after spending the day taking care of the garden. I might grow a few corn plants and one or two tomato plants now, but a garden....I have better things to do with my time. But, times are not quite as tight now either.
Bob,

Me^^^^ Same thing

Dad had between a quarter and a half acre of strawberries amongst the rest of the garden. My chore was weeding, picking berries, pulling up the runners and organizing them into a row and best of all, guard duty!

That's how I learned to shoot accurately. I'd sit for hours out there under a gumball tree on a homemade picnic table with a copy of lord of the rings and my trusty Crossman 760 Powermaster. When those starlings or blackbirds came in, I'd shoot em'
I wasn't allowed to shoot the Robins, Cardinals, of Blue Jays, but I'd have to say I stretched that rule just a bit from time to time! ;-)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 09:15:01 AM »
Bobby.....lol. I would ask why were you driving 20 hrs. ...I mean where were you driving? ....I would ask but I don't want to DOT up Tates thread.

Why not DOT up Tate's thread.
The man has earned it
DOTin up my threads like it was his last chance ever
Go ahead
Let's see some recipes
Sports news
Weather talk
Political chat
Whatever...feel free!!!!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 11:01:28 AM »
Go ahead, muck it up, I can take it! Sure glad I got that timer on the way... got home to nobody en casa and ran out to give it the afternoon watering. Then I left and forgot to turn it off. Lake Hudson is nice this time of year. Good thing we just planted yesterday and I wasn't drowning out starts. Doesn't look like anything floated away but only time will tell lol. And for pest repellent, I've got a 90lb black lab that loves chasing dear, rabbit, birds, squirrels, cats, dogs, moles, (effective killer on those) etc. He roams the property with a boundary collar which takes him right to the edge of the garden.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 12:14:22 PM »

Cousin's wedding in southern Mississippi.  The way back I got caught in the trio of storms in northern Illinois that supposedly had a couple tornadoes, 60 mph + winds,rain and hail. So I called nature's bluff, backtracked and flanked the storms, which added time to the drive.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal