Hello Guest

Author Topic: CP3 pressure line leak repair with ported fitting.  (Read 3053 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
CP3 pressure line leak repair with ported fitting.
« on: July 16, 2015, 11:25:37 PM »
Well, after the little mishap with trying to add a ported fuel fitting, here is the repair.

Oringinal thread is here; http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=1150.0

The worst part of this besides causing the problem, is draining the radiator. No drain on the LBZ, you have to pull the lower hose. Held on with a clip like the cooler hoses the clip is a bare to get out. Slid the hose back and it drains OK, about a bucket full was all I did.

Next you have to pretty much pull everything behind the AC compressor to get the the top of the CP3.

It was more of a pain than it was hard, but the fitting leaking is below the fitting circled. That fitting goes right into the high pressure side of the CP3 and the line I was trying to remove goes to where you add the touted ported fuel fitting. 
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: CP3 pressure line leak repair with ported fitting.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 12:10:04 AM »
I still don't have a wrench that I can get onto the lower fitting, so I ran to Lowes and got a set of crows feet and some pool stuff (green water)

I did cap those lines off before I went but I think they are for returns and coolers since they just use spring clamps. For you guys who struggle with those clamps (I do to) I found that hemostats work really good on the smaller ones that are hard to get to, and they lock!!.

I also go this nice portable 18v/120v Ryobe 20 watt work light. Got it for my 57th a couple weeks ago.

I have both Porter Cable and Ryobi. I think Ryobi has a better assortment of tools for the cost and PC has the better basic tools for the cost. JMHO

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 12:28:06 AM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 12:04:47 PM »
Man, that looks horrible.

Reminded me of the awful week I spent pulling the EGR off my D-Max

Just had shivers!!!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 01:11:49 PM »
Yep, have to dig a little deeper than this to even see the EGR.

About the only thing I changed is I had a heck of a time with 1 hose clip and replaced with a clamp. The used a little silicon around the thermos, but the gaskets looked ok.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:26:43 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 04:29:05 PM »
and that is just the tip of what you have to do to replace the CP3.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 09:01:35 PM »
and that is just the tip of what you have to do to replace the CP3.

That went through my head as I did this, glad mine is OK and why I run a lift pump!!!

The other thing I did was to drill out the rail fitting which is what started this whole thing. Plenty of how to's on that around. I think I drilled mine to 5/32.

Now speaking of the lift pump, I have a 5 micron filter there and it is doing its job. When I drained it there was some water in there. Not a lot, but I never saw a drop up top on the cat filter.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:31:37 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 03:14:02 PM »
So this was the culprit that caused all the problems;

Had to get a set crows feet wenches to hold both at the same time, but it worked!!

Tried to keep everything as clean as possible, added a little ARP sealer to the threads and snugged her down.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 03:21:17 PM »
Then I ported the fuel rail fitting like this (not my picture) that is located here (what started this mess)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 03:24:40 PM »
I stopped with about an hour of work left, but it was 0300 so I was tired. Got up the next day and finished it off, charged up the batteries and tried to start it up.

She ran but died, then ran after pumping the crud out of it again.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 03:37:24 PM »
So I am back on the road, but the new 35in tires rubbed, so next is the wheel well mod for that as all I could find was for 07 models and up.

About the worst part of this is the radiator drain, there is none!! You have to pull the lower hose, let most run into a bucket and cleanup. The lower hose is held on with a clip, them slides off. The clip goes on from the top and would be easy to access during building or pulling the cooler.

Then as it warms up you bled the air from the thermo housing via an 8mm bolt with a 12mm head. I think a filter needs to added to the system, to much gunk!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 01:11:10 PM »
Glad to hear you're back up and running. Wondering if that was your air sucking culprit all along?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal