Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2012 Polaris Ranger Crew 800 Turbo upgrade  (Read 32038 times)

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
2012 Polaris Ranger Crew 800 Turbo upgrade
« on: September 15, 2014, 10:55:21 AM »
I purchased this 'tool' to help me in my quest for meat, the deer and elk I hunt, and to create a bit of fun for the family of 4 girls and a wife. I realized in a short matter of time that it was severely underpowered for such a large sxs. After 2 years of dealing with this pig, I did some research and found out that Polaris had installed a restrictor in the air intake path, which I promptly removed.
That was the first upgrade, supposedly +10hp, but it wasn't enough for Ken (me).......
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
Re: 2012 Polaris Ranger Crew 800 Turbo upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:43:22 AM »
...and this is the restricter.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 12:56:18 PM »
I'm going to back up a bit, to the beginning of this quest, actually the cause of this quest, for power.
I took a couple of my overweight buddies up north for a guy's weekend in this quiet little town in a remote valley, where you can ride around (without leo harassment), watch the rodeo, scout for game, etc. Well, the "Pig Ranger" almost burnt down....not really, but climbing hills with 3836lbs of passengers (3 guys total and I'm a buck seventy) the fuel in the tank started boiling every time we stopped and the rear seat melted in half from the heat.
So, the first thing I did was price the seat bottom....close to 5 bills!!! Uh, NO. I will fix it, because quite frankly, that's what a real man would do, right?
First, I removed the cushion, which required removing aprox. 67,000 staples.
Using a propane torch, I remolded the seat to make it flat again (no pics, but the seat had a 3" dip to it from my buddies rump forcing it down).
After that, I pie cut some 3/4" square tubing to lay in and follow the groove/channel that was molded in to the seat, then used 1/4" rivets to fasten.
The second pic shows the thin plate I cut to fit that side of the seat....it comes from some old shelving that was laying out back in the scrap pile.
After everything was riveted, some self-stick heat barrier was added, in the third pic.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 12:58:21 PM »
...and a pic of a completed seat, restapled of course.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 01:04:48 PM »
Next up was to remove the restrictor from the air intake duct, no pics, but pretty straight forward....oh what a difference!!!!
...but, how about upgrading the cooling system, because we all know, usually more power equals more heat.
..So, lets put an oil cooler in, increasing the capacity from 2 qts to about 3.5. I ran the lines to a remote filter housing, so #1 it would hold more oil with a larger filter, and #2 it will be easier to access.
The second pic shows the rock shield fabbed and installed (the filter is now in front of the left rear tire).

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 01:16:22 PM »
I then installed the oil cooler on the left side, under the rear seat, with a thermostatically controlled fan, and an independent fan on the right side, with it's own thermostat, which can be manually engaged from a switch on the dash. This fan blows air across the exhaust directly under the side of the seat that melted. I then drill 45,000 holes in front of the cooler/fans, where the passenger legs are, so that they (the fans, not the passengers!) have access to fresh, cooler, air. While I was at it, I added heat barrier/blanket to the fuel tank and wrapped the fuel line with heat tape.

...then the exhaust came out and got heat wrapped (it's a shame I ended up cutting it up later).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 09:59:25 AM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 02:17:54 PM »
This is where I decided that either my buddies needed to lose weight, get their own Ranger, or Ken (me) needs to add more power, the last option was the only real possibility....so...., checking the web, I find ranger turbo kits going for $3-6k. At this point in time I don't have 3-6k to blow on a toy.....SO.....my employee Tyeler, brings this little gem into work one morning. It's off of a Mitsubishi eclipse...but, wait a minute, it's made by Garrett, a T25 I think. He proceeds to tell me they're about a dime a dozen because they're to small and everyone throws them in the trash.
"Perfect" I say with a grin.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 04:07:38 PM »
I'm liking this! ;)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline OVERWATCH_09

• DESTROYER OF PROFILES
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 10:34:12 PM »
AWESOME!! Great to see this stuff already up.  Don you've got quite the crew rounded up here.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 11:47:20 PM »
Next step was to remove the old exhaust,  cut the rear half out,  and mount the turbo in line,  with the compressor outlet pointed towards the throttle body. I ordered up some stainless flanges specific to the t25 turbo for under 30 bucks,  and proceeded to build the exhaust inlet and a temporary outlet with a straight pipe and wideband sensor bung (fancy oxygen sensor) for the tuner that will be installed.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:31:54 AM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 11:57:25 PM »
The largest challenge I had to overcome was trying to keep the factory air cleaner close to the original location. I believe that the oem filtration is superior to the aftermarkets available as they gather clean air from the front of the ranger. That may cost me some performance but durability is still my first priority.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 12:04:12 AM »
...and with a few silicone boots, stainless band clamps, and a bit of welding, the turbo looks functional. Next up, I ordered a stainless oil feed line long enough to reach the front of the block...the only source of pressurized oil. I then removed the oil dipstick tube to weld on a drain pipe for the return side of the turbo.

...I didn't plan on doing a build thread on this job, so I'm having trouble rounding up pics from 2 different phones and a camera.
More to come: Ken finds out a stock clutch doesn't get along with the turbo, installing a tuner and my first time writing fuel tables :-\ and the straight pipe is too loud, must find a shiny muffler.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 12:14:06 AM by KensAuto »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 03:10:31 AM »
Looks good, that extra oil and a cooler will pay off for sure.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 10:35:53 AM »
Here's a pic of the oil lines behind the drive belt/clutch area.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 10:41:01 AM »
After reading up on utv clutches, I decided to go with one from DDP for it's adjustability. They have you give them the specs (turbo?, how many passengers, load weight, etc.) and they set it up for that. After 3 tries, I got it fine tuned the way I want it.
Only one pic and it's of the secondary clutch and the box of weights for the primary. :-[

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 10:50:08 AM »
For the tuner, there's not to many options, so here's the pics of the PC5 and the autotune that makes it sooo much easier to tune. It uses that wideband sensor to automatically correct the fuel trims while you're driving. I mounted it under the rear seat, close to the factory computer. Note: this is a piggyback system, not stand alone, meaning it just makes changes to the factory settings in the factory computer.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:22:08 AM by KensAuto »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 05:08:41 PM »
mmm... turbo ranger.  8)
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »
They have you give them the specs (turbo?, how many passengers, load weight, etc.) and they set it up for that.

So do you over estimate the weight of passengers and gear that you've had, or plan on carrying or give a best guess and go from there?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:15:20 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 07:30:33 PM »
It's not that specific, but basically he built it for low end, so if I had it loaded up with an elk and 800lbs of man, it wouldn't burn up the belt just trying to get moving. I had to change it a little because the engine tached out quicker than the primary clutch could fully engage. It really was the best mod out of everything I did....and now...with his setup, I have decel braking. The oem clutch wouldn't hold you back on a steep decent unless you held the rpms up to keep it engaged.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 08:51:22 PM »
I see.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 09:32:12 PM »
I was telling Tyeler that I was going to put one of those funky ricer pipes on the back, about 4' long at a 45* angle, with a flapper on it. I pretended to stick this one on it from my old gas compressor. He just shook his head.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 09:47:28 PM »
After searching some more (not too many people put turbos on a Ranger...go figure), I realized a bolt on muffler was out of the question. I ended up finding this one for a vrf800 interceptor. It has a 2" inlet, only 13" long, seems to be of high quality, and it wasn't 3-600 bucks like most bolt on setups. After rebuilding the tail section of the turbo outlet, the muffler fit right in.....

...but then I realized the bed, once installed, would hit the muffler when tilted up. Out came the grinder. (much easier than turning the muffler sideways, which is what I had originally planned).

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 10:08:30 PM »
All together, now time for test and tune.

...and right away, we had too much boost....10-11lbs. Out came the wastegate, cut the rod in half, took out an 1/8" of the rod, threaded it to 1/4", and made it adjustable with a long nut and 2 jam nuts.
excuse the blurry pic, I had to zoom in.

After getting the boost down to 5-6psi (again DURABILITY is #1), and playing with the fuel/timing tables, she came out really nice. Smooth power all the way to 7200rpms (oh yeah, the factory had that set at a very limited 5600), and it has very smooth clutch transitions throughout the rpms.
Going from about 35 rwhp to aprox. 50rwhp sure made Ken a happy camper.
Now, time to tear it all apart for paint and powdercoat, and get it back together before elk season!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:11:07 PM by KensAuto »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »
Next step was to remove the old exhaust,  cut the rear half out,  and mount the turbo in line,  with the compressor outlet pointed towards the throttle body. I ordered up some stainless flanges specific to the t25 turbo for under 30 bucks,  and proceeded to build the exhaust inlet and a temporary outlet with a straight pipe and wideband sensor bung (fancy oxygen sensor) for the tuner that will be installed.

Now that looks cool!

BK, you think one of those tiny turbos would be a good fit for my gator project? Even with 50 HP, which isn't much, I'll admit, it's a pig
Chery (Chinaman) engine, well, actually Chevy, is a 3 cyl H2O cooled auto engine.
I want to turbo it and would be a good winter project.
Can you find one of those turbos out there in the desert?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 11:27:56 AM »
I was telling Tyeler that I was going to put one of those funky ricer pipes on the back, about 4' long at a 45* angle, with a flapper on it. I pretended to stick this one on it from my old gas compressor. He just shook his head.

That's pure tractor, man!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »

Now that looks cool!

BK, you think one of those tiny turbos would be a good fit for my gator project? Even with 50 HP, which isn't much, I'll admit, it's a pig
Chery (Chinaman) engine, well, actually Chevy, is a 3 cyl H2O cooled auto engine.
I want to turbo it and would be a good winter project.
Can you find one of those turbos out there in the desert?
I'll talk to my guy when I get back in town.  I think it would be perfect. On a short vacation in Alaska right now. ...my wife's giving me crud for being on here ....instead of giving her attention. Lol

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 08:39:14 PM »
gotcha

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 11:31:04 PM »
After running the ranger for a couple weeks, allowing the Autotune to do it's job, I was completely impressed with the outcome. Smooth and very driveable. Next, I loaded up 4 of my buddies plus myself, and took to the desert with 100* ambient temp. No overheating (although we haven't tried the mountains yet), plenty of power, and she even spins BOTH rear tires (in dirt). That may not sound like much, but it would never do that, even with just myself in the vehicle....not even around a corner!
So, with testing and tuning complete, I felt it was time for some paint and powder coating. Here's a pic of all of the pieces laid out, and marked with the different colors I thought I would like them coated.....until I received the price quote.

I decided to smooth out the compressor housing before coating:

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 11:40:14 PM »
Originally I wanted the high temp parts ceramic coated black, and the 'cold' parts something like bright orange just for fun. I soon learned there is separate charges for different colors, so I decided to do them all in ceramic. After talking with the owner about this "special" coating that he uses on pistons, valves, turbos, etc.(including his airplane and gyro copters) that holds in heat better than anything on the market, we went with that. It also looks kinda cool, almost an olive drab/metallic color.

While I had it apart, I realized that the main welded support for the turbo  (1/4" angle) would make it impossible to remove the transmission, if that day where to come. It was chopped out and made removable with 3 large bolts.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2014, 11:49:23 PM »
Next was taping off and plugging holes on the turbo itself. It received a beadblast treatment, making it as happy as my wife at a day spa.

...then a healthy coat (actually 4) of urethane. While I was at it, all of the spots on the ranger that where welded upon, received the same.
The turbo was then assembled. Note to self: mark everything next time. :(

The inlet pipe, which wraps around a section of frame, was wrapped with high temp header wrap, then tied off with stainless straps.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2014, 11:57:28 PM »
This little gem was made to hold the 3 bar map sensor that came with the tuner, that will measure boost. It will be placed directly in front of the turbo. I originally placed it close to the throttle body, about 10" from the compressor housing, and the pulsations from the engine's intake valves where affecting the sensor's readings bad enough that the system wouldn't tune properly. Moving it back to the turbo helped considerably.

Here is the Map sensor that came with the tuner:

...and mated together:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:58:31 PM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 12:09:16 AM »
Here's the wastegate pod:

...and a couple during reassembly:

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 12:14:21 AM »
Done!!!

..This is a pic of the muffler during mockup.....forgot to take one after final assembly.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2014, 05:23:21 PM »
Ken, that is some outstanding fab
Coating looks titanium
Digging the triangle exhaust

OK, so which turbo do I need for the gator?

Gotta do that as well.

Right now I can pull 44mph

I think I need around 60 as a sprint speed goal with being able to pull 45 up grades with 4 folks

I hate it that I will be buying a special clutch, but n other way I think

Now having said that, I was looking at a big bike engine...wondering if I slid a 1300cc with a 6 speed in those rails somehow...

Very nice work there Special K!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2014, 11:08:08 PM »
Don, I was reading up on a gator forum, and from what I gathered, there isn't a whole lot in the way of gator performance parts out there. Now, I guess there is a Power Commander 5 (like what I used) for it, but not for a turbo setup. To tune it correctly, it needs to use a pressure (map) sensor, that came with my version. With the one made for the gator, you would have to add a sensor to the analog input (not difficult), input the sensor's
range, and build your own fuel maps (Power commander doesn't list a turbo gator map and I couldn't locate one anywhere on the web). As far as the clutch goes, after today, I would say the new clutch made the most difference out of the mods done.
Turbo specs: 95-99 Mitsubishi eclipse or 95-98 eagle talon factory turbos.
                   Garrett T25
                   60 trim
                   405cfm
the dimensions Tyeler gave me (off of a turbo rebuilder's site) did not match mine.
His dimensions  were:
                   1.66"/42 mm inlet
                   2.14/54.4mm outlet
...I used 2" boots on both the inlet (from air cleaner) and outlet (to throttle body)

Here is one of a couple listed on fleebay right now:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-99-mitsubishi-eclipse-garrett-t25-turbo-/251668822310

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2014, 11:34:13 PM »
Maybe it's time for an upgrade????

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 05:08:46 PM »
Did you add any heat shielding where you trimmed for the muffler? Looks like composite of some type.

Maybe turbo the bikes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2014, 06:36:21 PM »
Did you add any heat shielding where you trimmed for the muffler? Looks like composite of some type.

Maybe turbo the bikes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yes, I added some matting, but only for when the bed is tilted up. Every time I tilted the bed to show someone the outcome, and the muffler was hot, it melted plastic onto the muffler. :(

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 10:27:59 PM »
Decided to build my own spare tire mount. Just wanted something different.
Had some scrap 1" rigid conduit and a bender....slicing, dicing, and welding is all it took.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2014, 09:02:45 AM »
Good looking job there Ken!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2014, 02:04:25 PM »
Thank you kind sir, uhh, I mean Don. haha

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2014, 12:22:21 AM »
Ordered some new shoes, sight unseen. They turned out to be smaller than advertised, and smaller than the originals. The crew is long and low to start with, so I was quite disappointed with the purchase.......

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2014, 12:26:50 AM »
.....so I talked my buddy into buying them from me so I could get these...

...these are rear tires. The one on the left is the same as factory (numbers wise) 26x11x12, and the new ones are 27x12x12. Much better.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2014, 12:50:17 AM »
I guess I should've called this a build thread. :o
..On to the next project. As anyone with a SXS knows, it's tough to keep the dust from boiling up from the rear of the machine. The crews are even worse, especially for the rear passengers. There's really only a couple ways to "cure" this, and I use that word loosely....you can refrain from putting in a full front windshield and try to stay out of bad weather, or install some form of rear windshield. When I purchased this thing, I wanted the best for up front...something that wouldn't scratch when wiping it off or break when driving thru mesquite thickets.  I chose a factory glass full flip up windshield that also has a stop, when about 6", open that reduces the low pressure inside, keeping most dust out at speeds up to 25mph.
This is fine and dandy for those rainless 75* days when just putting around the desert.....but I have an elk hunt coming up in late November at 6500-7000ft elevation.
To end this novel : I decided to build a rear dust screen instead of buying one (next time I might just buy one).
...started off with an old aluminum business sign and started cutting it to fit the lower part of the cab, behind the front of the bed (where most of the dust enters)

...trial fitment and contoured edges...forgot about the recently fabbed mudflaps also in this pic (NOTE to Polaris; these should have forward mudflaps from the factory!!!). I got tired of cleaning out a mud caked fuel tank.

the hole in the center is an air breather for the belt drive system.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2014, 01:08:03 AM »
After removing the plate, it was promptly sanded, painted black on both sides, and undercoated on the forward facing side to cut down on vibrations/rattles. (actually I did it because I was to lazy to grind off all of the 20 yr old stickers)

Then came the 1/8" plexiglass. I originally wanted 1/4" but figured it would have to be built in 2 pieces because it needed a 30ish degree bend. "I should be able to bend 1/8" like it was cardboard" (this is what Ken said to his employee 2 days ago)
....I started at the top with multiple rubber washered screws (predrilling of coarse!)

....very long story made short, I cracked that son of a gun a total of 4 times, even after letting it sit in 95* Az sun, using a heatgun and a propane torch at the same time! urrrr. I think this was where I said some things not fit for readers of this forum.
Today I started over by welding a cross beam, 2" angle, at the top so the glass would lay flat instead of on a pipe .
.....and of course I don't have any of those pics because I was not happy at the time.
here's the finished product yesterday, cracks and all....lucky I can't see them in the pics.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2014, 08:58:07 AM »
Clever idea there ken

The cracks don't show up, and this isn't a show piece, it's a working vehicle, so maybe you just go with it. That is, I'd probably make a trip out into the boonies with it and see how it holds up. If it starts to shatter, then, well, you'll have to come up with plan "B". If not, then maybe you're done for a season.

Tires look good!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2014, 11:22:34 AM »
thanks....so far so good.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2014, 08:48:49 PM »
Added some backup lights. They are the same as what I used on my truck, Ecco leds. Very low amp draw.
What's cool is that Polaris has wires in the rear from the factory, power and ground, and the ground only works in reverse (someone told me it's setup for a backup beaper). Plug the lights in an that's it.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2014, 08:53:01 PM »
I thought to myself, "what's better than 2 lights?".....
....an hour later I was hooking up these fog lights, that I had in the shed for some reason. They were mounted above the rear window to light up the bed. It's on a switch that works with the key off.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2014, 08:59:46 PM »
I think these little utility vehicles are so cool, and seeing you guys mod them is giving me all sorts of ideas for down the road!
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal