Hello Guest

Author Topic: Thoughts on camo truck paint  (Read 1482 times)

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
Thoughts on camo truck paint
« on: July 25, 2015, 09:58:40 AM »
Although painting the Ford is fairly low on my list of things to do right now I'm still thinking ahead about ideas.  Part of me wants to camo it out.  When I was in TX I was looking at a desert camo style or possibly an Atacs style.  Being up north now I would probably be leaning more towards s style with more green in it. Possibly the jungle Atacs version. 

My girl is suggesting a solid flat color it but she always says it's my truck do what I want.  And she really means that. It is up to me for the final call. And she won't be riding in it very often.

There are some, for lack of a better term, security issues with it.  You will stand out on the highway. It will stand out in a bug out situation and possibly advertise that I may be a juicier target than the Prius up the road. But that could go the other way also and keep peeps from messing with you. 

I'm a redneck and I think camo trucks are cool. Curious to hear you guys thoughts.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on camo truck paint
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 10:58:05 AM »
You obviously have seen the low gloss OD green on Square D.

That is a good option. The synthetic enamel is inexpensive, less than $40 a gallon...takes two to do your truck. It hardens over time. It would normally last 5-7 years, however when the paint starts to fail, it hazes over...well low gloss is already hazed over so it should last a good long time.

Think of the green OD as the base coat. When you get where you're going, get out and throw a few shovelfuls of dirt and mud on it and just like you have a great natural cammo. The OD is to cammo what the "Base" is to makeup (Learned that from the pretty misses!)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 12:02:14 PM »
Some sort of green will be my base color for sure.  We call my ford greenie because of the original metallic green paint.  I'm leaning more towards a color that is a relatively close match to that so it won't be so obvious that I didn't paint my door jambs and such.

Could a guy roll that enamel on?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 12:19:33 PM »
Some sort of green will be my base color for sure.  We call my ford greenie because of the original metallic green paint.  I'm leaning more towards a color that is a relatively close match to that so it won't be so obvious that I didn't paint my door jambs and such.

Could a guy roll that enamel on?
You can roll on tar...which would look about the same as rolled on automotive paint

Needs to be sprayed on a properly prepared surface my friend

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 01:18:26 PM »
Spraying anything isn't an option for me.  I'm in a campground so overspray and being outside is what I have to live with.   I'm still leaning towards rolled on house paint.   They're having success wih it on deuce and a halfs and such over on the steel soldiers forum. 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »
If you use a flat paint just do a section at a time. Throw up a tarp, do a fender, do a bed side, etc.

I did my dads old S10 that way IFO the garage. One side then another. Use the natural body seams and it will be fine.

To dark or to light and you will stand out. OD or dark gray would be a great start. I was going to do black, but to "ominous", like look at me so leaning towards gray.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
I actually thought about buying one of those 10x20 canopies to put up over the truck while I'm working on it.  The campground is full of oil and gas workers but still don't want to have a truck up on blocks for all the neighbors to see.  Wouldn't be very much room to work down the sides but it could be turned into a makeshift paintbooth now that I think about it.......

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 04:00:56 PM »
Spraying anything isn't an option for me.  I'm in a campground so overspray and being outside is what I have to live with.   I'm still leaning towards rolled on house paint.   They're having success wih it on deuce and a halfs and such over on the steel soldiers forum. 
Well, if you do this roll on job, be sure to document it so we can all learn from your experience.

Doing what JR suggests is workable. A guy down the road actually painted his entire 2001 Dodge 3500 Dually that way. It started out white, and now is that pretty late model lemans blue Ram is sporting.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal