Hello Guest

Author Topic: My red neck came out.  (Read 8633 times)

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
My red neck came out.
« on: August 06, 2015, 11:35:06 PM »
Well, normally I like to move heavier and awkward items to the cabin in the winter when the ice makes for a road.
Today, I moved a new to me lawnmower out via the boat.
A little redneck engineering, and a platform of sorts was attached to the boat.
Forgot to take a picture, but it was some 2x4's and 2x6's braced from gunnels to floor. Nothing fancy heck what's a mower weigh? Few hundred pounds at best so here it is.

And delivered the four and a half miles to my dock.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:55:51 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: My red neck came out.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 11:37:49 PM »
The mower was necessitated by me thinking grass would be a good idea.
Well it sort of is, until you need to deal with an acre of grass with a weed whacker.

So now I need to clean up he rocks and stumps that will be hard on the mower.
Arrrgh, more work. Stupid Sam and his brilliant grass idea.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 12:24:04 AM »
I thought I heard my name.....nice job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 12:26:22 AM »
Well at least it is a fishing boat and not ago fast real ski boat!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 10:55:09 AM »
You're doing somethin wrong if you have to use a boat to move a lawn mower! haha Looks good though.

Yeah, i did the grass thing for 20+ years, then said to heck with it. Too much work.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 11:47:54 AM »
Wait......wait.........wait. 

You have a cabin that is only accessible by boat or ice?!

That is my dream although I dealt with enough ice in my few years in the UP of MI to know I'd  rather have it be in warm waters.   

Nice job on the mower btw. And I agree grass is useless.  Takes more input than you get in return.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 06:48:15 PM »

You're doing somethin wrong if you have to use a boat to move a lawn mower! haha Looks good though.

Yeah, i did the grass thing for 20+ years, then said to heck with it. Too much work.

They have grass is AZ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 07:13:06 PM »
I think they use astro turf
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 07:26:26 PM »
That's cool!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 08:32:37 PM »
Wait......wait.........wait. 

You have a cabin that is only accessible by boat or ice?!

That is my dream although I dealt with enough ice in my few years in the UP of MI to know I'd  rather have it be in warm waters.   

Nice job on the mower btw. And I agree grass is useless.  Takes more input than you get in return.
Yeah, it's out on an island, 4 1/2 miles from the mainland.

Once I get the past few years of renovation pictures together, I'll start up the cabin build.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 09:51:31 PM »
Do it !!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 11:23:56 PM »
It's in the cards. Just need some time at home lol.
Been between the cabin and the vet in the city for the last three weeks.
Almost started one for the sauna and outhouse, then thought I should do the works.
My lack of high speed service out here makes it not possible to some extent.
And then the collection of pictures randomly scattered on different computers.
So, once I get back to reality, and sort my stuff I'll get it up.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 10:10:34 AM »
well hopefully when you start getting those pictures up, don will get the itch again and start showin us some building progress on his site area..........;D
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 10:57:08 AM »
Hopefully. He's been keeping us in the dark....or the weather has been so bad he hasn't been out there.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 11:43:00 AM »
Talk about being off the grid and seeing what is coming at you. But then I saw this movie where zombies found out they could walk under water,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 11:41:09 PM »
Yeah, been pretty quiet on the big D farm action.

We are totally off grid. It has its moments, but slowly it is becoming home.
Running a hybrid electrical, solar, wind, generator, tied together to 4 6 volt batteries set in a 12 volt configuration. Master power switch from generator to inverter power, and of course battery charger to take advantage of when the generator is running. Some 12 volt stuff, but mainly 120 ac.

No water, yet, haul drinking water jugs, but am trying to figure out an RV type plumbing setup.
The -40 and better stuff in winter has the plumbing more as a would be nice.

Well if the zombies want to cross the lake, I guess I'll have to pull out the 12ga.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 12:12:22 PM »
Yeah, been pretty quiet on the big D farm action. 

Yea, sorry bout that!

Been a monsoon all summer here!
Went down there yesterday. Spent all day long on the tractor.
Remember those pretty fields?
They were 4' tall with weeds and some locust went from zero to about 6 feet tall!
I discovered the usefulness of a big powerful 4-1 bucket for just yanking the limbs right off a tree! Don't need no stinkin chain saw!

Oh and I'll be amongst your top fans when you start writing up that cabin build
Speaking for all of us (Because all of us talk in private, but don't include you ;-)))
We'd all love to see it!

Oh, and we all really don't speak in private!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 12:21:35 PM »
Cabin build write up would be awesome... Post it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 01:24:34 PM »
and how much damage did the bigger deere sustain from yesterdays operations.........?

should we even ask about the death of another chain saw...........?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 01:53:43 PM »
and how much damage did the bigger deere sustain from yesterdays operations.........?

should we even ask about the death of another chain saw...........?
Hole in the intercooler

Ran over the same chain saw again, no new damage

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 01:58:19 PM »
Oh, and forgot to mention

I started off with changing the oil first. Good ole tactical change. Pull the plug and let it fertilize mother earth, right beside some poison ivy!
Opening the hood, first thing I see is a 6 foot snake skin! Right below that is an abandoned mouse nest. I'll bet the long reptile ate the mice, then got fat, shed his skin then moved out. In the intake, mud daubers and spiders. Removed the mud daubers and just started her up to ingest the spiders. Figured the engine heat would cook em'
Mowed snakes, turtles, and who knows what else. At the end of the day the Deere was still running even with a quarter size hole in the intercooler.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 03:09:45 PM »
brother, that thing may be a little small or to civilized for that property?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 04:13:24 PM »
brother, that thing may be a little small or to civilized for that property?
Nate, just under a hundred acres and around 66 HP.
The acreage vs horsepower curve when factorin' in the percent of slope all covered up in vines and the amount and diameter of hardwood layin' in the way, multiplied by the depth-of-the-wet-leaves factor, over whether there's rocks, sticks, or walnut hulls, minus the amount of tire tread yer tractor has that isn't all chunked up and the warranty you have remainin', and all of that carefully figured in with how much time you spend on the crushed stones vs some fallen down barn walls, well all that when computed for the latitude and the height above creek level equals 65.4 HP...I have a 66HP model
Nuff said!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 04:59:16 PM »
yes but that would be factorin a normal civi running one of those things and being all gentle like with it.  big red may stand a better chance it sounds like.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2015, 08:45:18 PM »
yes but that would be factorin a normal civi running one of those things and being all gentle like with it.  big red may stand a better chance it sounds like.
Sorry forgot the sensitive guy factor, got it
OK, 38 HP is G-T-G!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 10:17:43 PM »
sounds like its time to build the exo-cage on the deere

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 10:24:31 PM »
Nate, you're the worst !

We're still waiting for that Cummins to roar....he don't need no more ideas (even tho I bet he's already been thinkin about it)

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 10:50:40 PM »
I bet he's been thinking of armoring it up some.
Punching holes through something every time.

But yeah, that cummins, it needs to start. :)
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 01:36:23 AM »
Naw, he aint gonna run it. It would kill half the DOTs posts!!!!!!!!!!!

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 07:38:02 AM »
Very sensible mower moving concept. And the island deal sounds very nice. And despite the work I enjoy grass, it can be soothing.

Don.... not sure of the species of Locust you have, but we have the ones that the thorns will puncture a large implement tire no sweat. I kill them with a tree sheer on the skid loader, and Tordon on the fresh stump. This approach has worked well.... after you get them sheered and poisoned the following year some will return... you can them broadcast spray them with Tordon, and that usually ends the problem.

Believe it or not, solid grass cover if that's possible in your situation, will heavily suppress Locust. We usually plant native grasses so there is no maintenance. In wooded areas with canopy we plant orchid grass. Oh and always burn all the "brush" you generate if possible.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »
Very sensible mower moving concept. And the island deal sounds very nice. And despite the work I enjoy grass, it can be soothing.

Don.... not sure of the species of Locust you have, but we have the ones that the thorns will puncture a large implement tire no sweat. I kill them with a tree sheer on the skid loader, and Tordon on the fresh stump. This approach has worked well.... after you get them sheered and poisoned the following year some will return... you can them broadcast spray them with Tordon, and that usually ends the problem.

Believe it or not, solid grass cover if that's possible in your situation, will heavily suppress Locust. We usually plant native grasses so there is no maintenance. In wooded areas with canopy we plant orchid grass. Oh and always burn all the "brush" you generate if possible.

I have some of them, but mostly 9:1 the short thorn ones.
Once I cut a branch which at the last moment, hinged and swung toward me.
Lucky for me, my leg stopped it. The thorn went maybe three inches into my leg muscle, and it wouldn't pull out. I had to wrestle and wiggle that dammed thing out, that hurt!
Yup, I don't like those things. but more effective than concertina.
I found you can collect the seed pods, then from time to time plant them on your neighbors property!

OldKooT

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 11:46:31 AM »
LoL @ lucky for you.  I can well relate to those thorns...I once took Dumb dog hunting down in a river bottoms we own. He spooked a rabbit about 5 min after arrival and took off running through the bottoms after said rabbit. All you could hear was him yelping every time a thorn got him...mind you he never stopped running after the rabbit. I decided that day after stitching him up, I should have shot him earlier in life. He's 5 now, how he has got this old.... I have no idea LoL

Next time you want to help your neighbors with natural barriers, I can send you a box of seeds for the long 4" thorn variety. They are strong enough to go through rubber tracks on a skid steer.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 01:41:49 PM »

Very good advice here Don, Tordon does a very nice job controlling MOST broadleaved vegetation. One concern would be that it is not very stable in the soil or air, and can move around and kill desired stuff a long ways away from the targeted brush. I have killed potted plants at home after walking in the house with herbicide spray on the clothes.  Grasses or other ground cover works very well in keeping weeds and brush from taking hold. If there is no open ground the weed seeds don't have a place to grow. Now if the brush and trees sprout from the roots of the parents, you need to kill the roots or they will send up new plants.

OldKooT

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 07:47:39 PM »
There is something better than Tordon that not only kills the roots of Locust, it also doesn't bother the grass. It's not an "approved" chemical, so all I can say is Square D may someday burn it. A cordless drill an auger bit, and a few oz's in a stump of Locust and it's gone period. That's how it was done in the old days...

I look at pasture control as one of my more labor intensive land owner responsibilities actually. I spend weeks each year cleaning dead fall, chasing Locust and sometimes re drilling grass. I never really catch up...I manage to just stay ahead of the mess. But I also have about 1400 acres of trees.....bottom lands to manage. The crop ground is a breeze in comparison.

I spent this afternoon with the sprayer in the back of my pickup spot spraying bull thistles. Corn looks good, I suspect we can pick about Sept 20 No sweat, at it's present rate of progress. 

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2015, 09:07:21 PM »
I understand what you are saying, I held a herbicide license for 37 years while I was working. Tordon up here is a restricted use product because of its movement through the soils and air. I used to load up a stocking with tordon pellets and a few rocks for weight and throw them over the steep banks to help control blackberries and alder trees along the highway system. A few copper nails will take out fairly good sized trees and they look like natural death occurred.The views toward the mountain or the beaches were improved. They are not approved for that use either but they sure work. Takes some time but much less noise than a chain saw when they are not your trees.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2015, 12:33:12 PM »
I have more blackberries than patience. How do you feel about Crossbow? I don't think I can get Tordon as an unlicensed civilian.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal