VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > General Maintenance, How to/DIY projects

Power steering leak?

(1/8) > >>

Sammconn:
My truck is starting to show her age. 196xxx miles on the clock now.
I've developed a power steering leak.
Replaced the hoses a while back as they were done.
The last couple weeks been noticing little puddles.
So while I'm out in the land of parts a plenty (the city) I figgered I'd have a look.
Did a couple glow plugs while everything was out.

Thought it was a loose line fitting, nope. Now it's been leaking so long the layer of mud is pretty thick. Fittings were all nice and tight, looks like it may be the steering box?

I'm going to have to clean it all up when I get home and track it down, but is there a seal that goes?
Ken or someone may know, or new steering box time? I've accepted the fact I'm going to need to throw money at this to keep it on the road, and that is not the issue, just don't need to throw good money away if a $5 seal will fix it.

I'll post up some pics later on. Didn't have phone handy when buried in grease and muck.

KensAuto:
The pitman seal is the first to go, but the top (sector shaft) is usually right behind. A reman box might be the smart move.
...then start saving for a new hydroboost. It seems like when one thing starts leakin, it dominos.

Sammconn:
Been looking at both Ken. The pitman seal still looked ok.
With the intercooler tube out I could see the sector shaft, which was wet.
Now I had a big ole spill the other day filling back up, so I need to make clean and dry to find he source.
Thanks for the heads up on the HB as well.
How about PS pump life?

KensAuto:
They tend to start leaking at about 150k+. I've also seen quite a few just shear the shaft with no warning.

Sammconn:
Well then I guess I need to gather some parts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version