Hello Guest

Author Topic: Convert 2wd to 4wd?  (Read 1910 times)

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
Convert 2wd to 4wd?
« on: September 30, 2015, 12:10:28 PM »
Hi all, In my search for trucks to put my cummins in, I've noticed it's a lot easier to find older trucks that are in decent shape in 2wd (fords and chevys). Maybe because the 2wd's were used to haul campers to Florida or some such thing. Anyway, just curious if anyone knows how easy it might be to convert one to 4wd? I figure since I'll have it tore apart anyway, might not be too bad to change a cross member or two, and add a solid front axle and a t-case?

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Convert 2wd to 4wd?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 12:41:59 PM »
I can't help with the 2wd to 4wd question, but if you are looking for something to install the cummins in, there is a decent looking dodge ramcharger here.  If I had the time and or skills, that's the project I would be starting now.

http://quadcities.craigslist.org/cto/5240954657.html

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 12:45:10 PM »
Now don't you be taunting me with sweet project rigs that are not in my country! :)

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 01:01:56 PM »
Haha, sorry I don't have any idea where you live.  Shipping it might cost more than the vehicle!

Offline Dfarm01

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 11:44:13 PM »
I have the front suspension conversion done on my 74 d/w 200 crew cab.  I'm in the middle of some maintenance on my drivers right now, but as soon as those are done, I'm swapping the 727 out for a 4 speed and getting the transfer case in.

I bought a 86 w250 for a donor vehicle, and used all the brackets, cross members and necessary parts from that.

Need to drill holes for the rear spring hangers on the front springs, and a couple of holes for the steering box.

I used an oxy/acetylene torch to cut the rivets out, and grade 8 bolts with locking nuts to hold all the 4x parts in.

Mine is keeping the 318 for now because of funds, but if I could do it my way, it'd be getting an oil burner installed.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 12:44:25 AM »
For the GMs the frames are the same, just diff cross members and such. I think the fords are the same.

Get a complete doner if you do it or you will chase parts forever.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 09:11:09 PM »
I have the front suspension conversion done on my 74 d/w 200 crew cab.  I'm in the middle of some maintenance on my drivers right now, but as soon as those are done, I'm swapping the 727 out for a 4 speed and getting the transfer case in.

I bought a 86 w250 for a donor vehicle, and used all the brackets, cross members and necessary parts from that.

Need to drill holes for the rear spring hangers on the front springs, and a couple of holes for the steering box.

I used an oxy/acetylene torch to cut the rivets out, and grade 8 bolts with locking nuts to hold all the 4x parts in.

Mine is keeping the 318 for now because of funds, but if I could do it my way, it'd be getting an oil burner installed.
Check out Jungle Jim's suspension parts for the RC's.

I'm using his stuff on SquareD
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 11:49:20 PM »
I bet Norm would be a big help on this.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal