Hello Guest

Author Topic: Building my First AR15  (Read 56972 times)

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: Building my First AR15
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2015, 04:09:07 PM »
Guess I should build mine now,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yes. Build thread..
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2015, 05:40:39 PM »
Guess I should build mine now,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yes. Build thread..

Thats the plan. Probably add a nice trigger too. All I need is the scope mount. That is up in the air for 1 or 2 piece and railed or not.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2015, 06:58:02 PM »
By the way Ares has 30% off storewide right now.

"UPPER30" is the code.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2015, 08:04:43 PM »
Build then ship to Utah.  Yes sounds good to me Jr

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Building my First AR15
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2015, 11:19:33 PM »
By the way Ares has 30% off storewide right now.

"UPPER30" is the code.

Ares? I can't find a store

http://aresarmor.com/ ?

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:22:12 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2015, 11:46:47 PM »
yes

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2015, 02:45:12 AM »
Thats the plan. Probably add a nice trigger too. All I need is the scope mount. That is up in the air for 1 or 2 piece and railed or not.

Depends, do you plan on taking the scope off?  If yes, then get one with a QD set up. Most of them will hold their zero if replaced and tightened back down in the same place. If no, then just stick with some good rings, and continue on with the happiness.

Oh BTW Dave.

http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?avs/Special-Filters_1=Salezz1zzClearance/Rebate

Keep an eye on the clearance section of places like Brownells and MidwayUSA. You can get the stripped uppers and lowers from Aero for just over $100 (as opposed to $100.xx for just the upper like you posted), a LPK for $25 and the buttstock kit for $45. So like it was mentioned before, one piece at a time is a good way to go as well.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 02:50:35 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2015, 06:45:34 AM »
http://youtu.be/rWHniL8MyMM

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2015, 03:48:21 PM »
I actually had planed on leaving scope mounted up, but a nice QD would be OK.

I have a custom registered lower for this also. No 10 rnd mag or BB required then.

I have a billet 80% lower too, so options abound.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2015, 04:48:13 PM »
I actually had planed on leaving scope mounted up, but a nice QD would be OK.

I have my Nikon P-223 in the the LaRue SPR QD, and really like it. Has held zero when swapping in/out with my EoTech XPS2 fwiw
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2015, 02:12:12 PM »
I will throw in my real world experience with the Wylde chambering. The scary black rifle in the picture is an 18" barreled .223 Wylde. You can shoot 223 and 5.56 out of a Wylde barrel. The difference between the Wylde and other barrels is that the chamber in the Wylde barrel is slightly tighter than a 5.56 barrel, and the lands are closer to the chamber by 1/100 of an inch which allows the round to engage the rifling once the round is chambered instead of having to jump in other barrels when the round is fired. The standard m4 barrels are not chambered as tightly and have the lands as close in order to allow the rapid fire of a three shot burst or full auto. .223 Wylde is a fantastic chambering if you are looking for 200-300 yard gun. Much past that and you need a heavier larger caliber like .308.

The .223 Wylde gun is my mid range gun, while my Ruger GSR is my long range and my other 16" AR is my close quarters gun. And no the pink camp isn't my close range gun, that is my wife's newest gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2015, 08:46:03 PM »
Ok boys.  Progress made in the direction I want.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2015, 08:52:10 PM »
Nice lower,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

That is why I got a 20 inch 416 SS barrel in 223 wylde. To reach out just a little.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2015, 09:02:40 PM »
Nice, I've built several spikes lowers. Fit was as good on those as any others I built.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Building my First AR15
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2015, 09:10:01 PM »
 I want that twenty inch but not sure I will get there

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:21:24 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2015, 01:34:52 AM »
I want that twenty inch but not sure I will get there

I found a couple at midway and brownells, but were pricy. Got mine for about 175.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2015, 10:38:37 AM »
Post a pic Jr. 

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2015, 02:17:23 PM »
Nice starting point.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2015, 06:22:08 PM »
Ok list on http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-18-5-56-mini-sass-barrel-ss-1-2-28-sku231000327-54503-105494.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/ar-15-m16-assembled-upper-receiver-sku953000017-80474-167551.aspx
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/pistol-grips/universal-pistol-grip-tan-sku100004713-32495-56247.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-catch-parts/bolt-catches/magpul-b-a-d-lever-sku100004755-29341-57852.aspx

That SASS barrel isn't going to be light. So if you were planning on a lighter weight built, I'd look for a different barrel.

The upper is fine, but it's $75 by itself. If you check the clearance section you probably can find an upper and lower for a total of around $100ish.

If that's the grip you want, run with it.

My opinion, you don't need a B.A.D. lever. Just once more thing that'll catch on something, usually when you don't want it to.

Those are my opinions.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:54:57 PM by BobbyB »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2015, 06:32:44 PM »
I'll be the contrarian.  I love my BAD levers but you have to train with them to get the most out of them.  Unless you are training hard to defend and use the weapon system to its maximum effectiveness it's probably a waste.  It saves about 1-2 seconds max when you are clearing malfunctions or during bolt locked mag changes.

And unless you are training with a team, you would usually transition to a secondary weapon in a firefight when a malfunction occurs.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:34:04 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
I'll be the contrarian.  I love my BAD levers but you have to train with them to get the most out of them.  Unless you are training hard to defend and use the weapon system to its maximum effectiveness it's probably a waste.  It saves about 1-2 seconds max when you are clearing malfunctions or during bolt locked mag changes.

And unless you are training with a team, you would usually transition to a secondary weapon in a firefight when a malfunction occurs.

True, but it's also not difficult to hit the bolt release with the heel of your hand after inserting a magazine when your hand is enroute back to the firing position on the hand guard. But either way you go as long as you train on it, and it works for you then more power to ya.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Building my First AR15
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2015, 07:03:34 PM »
The barrel didn't seem to much heavier in weight  when I held it in my hand and if you look at similar barrels it only a fraction more.  The bad lever seemed handy on the three ARs I played with today's date it's kinda fancy pants part for cheap. 
And if all else I can remove it if I don't like it.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 07:08:02 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2015, 07:08:08 PM »
The barrel didn't seem to much heavier in weight  when I held it in my hand

Remember you're also planning on adding hand guards (though they are generally light) and didn't you mention a light and a gas block and front sight. It's all going to change the balance and weight. But again that's the beauty of the AR platforms. Change them up and make them yours.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 07:11:49 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2015, 07:12:28 PM »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2015, 07:31:50 PM »
I have a budy who has built and sold a few. ( I called him when the wife gave me the go ahead ) we sat down tonight and ordered parts and played with his three, has a 308 platform, a super light 223 with all the really light parts.  It was nice but the price tag wasn't my size he has a SBR with a few uppers built to interchange a few things.  It seven inches plus a eight inch suppressor too

I do need to find a muzzle brake for that barrel. Everything is smaller diameter and I think would look funny.  I do have a in with sincerco but he says the employe store is empty due to holiday season

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2015, 08:07:44 PM »
I have a budy who has built and sold a few. ( I called him when the wife gave me the go ahead ) we sat down tonight and ordered parts and played with his three, has a 308 platform, a super light 223 with all the really light parts.  It was nice but the price tag wasn't my size he has a SBR with a few uppers built to interchange a few things.  It seven inches plus a eight inch suppressor too

I do need to find a muzzle brake for that barrel. Everything is smaller diameter and I think would look funny.  I do have a in with sincerco but he says the employe store is empty due to holiday season

Well good luck on the build. Soon you'll have to build the wife one.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2015, 09:29:54 PM »
FYI, you can build a firearm from an 80% frame, but it can never be sold or transferred legally. (federal)

Anything built with legally purchased "frame" (serialized part) can be transferred per state laws.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2015, 09:57:11 PM »
The 80% lowers are kind of a fun idea.  But I had a better idea.  Have grandma go to the gun store and buy a lower or two and when she leaves this great world we can say we don't know what she did with them. :)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2015, 10:01:07 PM »
Or just make some face to face purchases from individuals.....or so I've heard
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2015, 10:27:50 PM »
A lot of states face to face transfers are legal with an in state ID

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2015, 10:28:51 PM »
:grin

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2015, 10:55:38 PM »
Utah is open sales.  To cover your butt being a seller you get a bill of sale.   Who sells guns? Why would ya do that lol

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2015, 11:39:43 PM »
FYI, you can build a firearm from an 80% frame, but it can never be sold or transferred legally.

There is a lot of argument over that. I ain't here to do that with you so please don't think that. The confusion comes from the wording in the ATF paperwork on these guns. You can't build one with the intention of selling it. That's certain. It states that if it is sold it "should" be serial numbered documented as a firearm. Should ain't a certain word. Ever guideline that is an a solute uses "must". I would never sell one I completed so I never dug further into it. I don't think it's forbidden though if you go by the wording. If I can find it I will post a link.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »
Used to be in WA too, not anymore. There was a flurry of activity in WA right before our mandatory backgrounds went into effect on all private transfers (I-594). I sold my 1911, matching P238, and a savage 308 to guys who were willing to pay to not have them on the books. I still demanded to see ID and CPL for my CYA before I'd sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2015, 09:14:51 AM »
I don't plan on selling mine so it's not an issue for me.   

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2015, 11:40:15 PM »
I am getting pretty excited, parts should start rolling up on my porch tomorrow

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2015, 02:59:50 PM »
Playing with all those parts is fun. Just like good engine work it gets addicting.

Got my trigger. When I figure out the front grip I will start my own thread.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2015, 10:40:20 PM »
Part number one, charging hammer release

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2015, 11:23:59 PM »
No turning back now!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2015, 11:50:45 PM »
I have been toying with sending out some parts for gloss black paint/powder coat.  Can you powder coat these parts?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2015, 11:56:46 PM »
I don't have any experience with it.  I'm a fan of anodizing and then a rattle can camo job.

But since its your first you might want to make it purdy.  I remember my first one....then taking a carbine class and getting a scratch on it....by the second class I was thowing it in the mud and rolling around in the gravel with it....

Gave it character.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2015, 12:15:10 AM »
I have been in love with hand engraved rifles for years read about it and so on.  Toying with a little tooling on the lower to add my touch

Did that video make sense from the other page?

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2015, 02:11:29 AM »
I have been toying with sending out some parts for gloss black paint/powder coat.  Can you powder coat these parts?

You can send send parts off to get coated, but it's going to add to the overall price.

Offline halsey

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2015, 08:47:32 AM »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2015, 09:01:57 AM »
Yes, but some parts are high tolerance & you'll make assembly for yourself a bear.... (Powder coating).

Anodizing I don't think adds to thickness it is a chemical reaction with the aluminum. It is also very inexpensive.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:04:53 AM by stlaser »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2015, 05:57:11 PM »
Ok need help the floating hand guard I ordered is the wrong color.  Looking for options locations stores and what not.   One two three go.. Pretty please

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal