Hello Guest

Author Topic: Building my First AR15  (Read 56981 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Building my First AR15
« Reply #300 on: September 06, 2016, 10:10:30 AM »
I found myself smashing my cheek into my stock to be able to get the site picture

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 06, 2016, 12:22:20 PM »
Bobby, I would list the reasons why you would want it lower personally. I know you're hinting around but this is new to him. I think a little more direct approach would help.

My main reason is the increased height over bore. But if it works for him, I can't say anything.

I found myself smashing my cheek into my stock to be able to get the site picture

Define smashing your cheek into the stock.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Building my First AR15
« Reply #302 on: September 06, 2016, 12:59:59 PM »
To the point it is uncomfortable on my cheek, the other option I had given thought to was a longer stock ( not sure if they make them) or a butt plate for the end of the stock so I don't feel so cramped,   I could also move the scope further down the rifle which might aid also

Nothing is permanent but for the moment I like it ok,   
I am going to build some standing target holders out of pvc so it will be easy to transport and store. 

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 01:01:27 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 06, 2016, 02:29:46 PM »
To the point it is uncomfortable on my cheek, the other option I had given thought to was a longer stock ( not sure if they make them) or a butt plate for the end of the stock so I don't feel so cramped,   I could also move the scope further down the rifle which might aid also

Nothing is permanent but for the moment I like it ok,   
I am going to build some standing target holders out of pvc so it will be easy to transport and store. 

WARNING PARTS GET EXPENSIVE REAL QUICK.

What stock do you have on it?

B5 systems SOPMOD-B stock might have a good cheek weld for you.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Stocks-s/49.htm

VLTOR also makes a stock that has a good cheek weld, although  the EMOD one has the zigzag pattern on the battery compartment that has a tendency to pull facial hair; well at least the earlier versions of the VLTOR stocks did.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Vltor-Stocks-s/73.htm

Bravo Company USA Gunfighter stocks.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-s-Stock-Mod-0-Black-p/bcm-gfs-mod-0-blk.htm

You could even be baller and run a fixed stock! You can generally find those at gun shows or in the back parts bin of gun shops.

Stocks are pricey yes, but if it helps you achieve a better cheek weld without smashing your face into the stock, then it might be an option.

As for the scope if you think running it out further will help; and it probably will; look for an SPR scope mount. Here's just a few of the options out there.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Optic-Mounts-for-AR15-s/96.htm

http://www.larue.com/riflescope-mounts?sort=popular

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/browse/category/mounts/opticmounts/scopemounts/ar15-scope-mounts/

http://www.bobroengineering.com/browse/category/scope-mounts/

Can you find cheaper mounts and stocks, yes. I'm not telling you that you HAVE to shop at one of the places I listed. I want you to see what I was talking about, and give you an idea of what you're getting into.

As always you can PM me if you want to talk more about options, OR if you just feel the need to swear at me or berate me for one thing or another. If you ask me a question I'll answer it if I can, if I can't I'll either find the answer and get back to you or help you find the answer.

;D

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 02:41:06 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 06, 2016, 02:55:49 PM »
Target holders are in great supply right now.  Look at all of the political signs from the people that lost in the primaries.

Like Bobby said, get a good stock.  Your cheek weld is vital.  It must not only feel good but be repeatable/ consistent.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 06, 2016, 02:57:27 PM »

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 06, 2016, 02:59:14 PM »
That's the one I run only in mil-spec.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 06, 2016, 03:06:50 PM »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 06, 2016, 03:08:18 PM »
That's the one I run only in mil-spec.

x2 for all my shorter guns.......
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 06, 2016, 03:17:48 PM »
I love the CTRs. Lots of colors, feel good and look a little diff with still being compact.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 06, 2016, 03:57:35 PM »
Good hell Bobby I would double the cost of my ar after one of those optic mounts add.

Explain to me why you are against my riser ? It's 1inch

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 06, 2016, 03:58:14 PM »
https://www.magpul.com/products/ctr-carbine-stock-commercial-spec?productVariantID=VO343

It's a good stock, but is it similar to the one you already run?
That is the stock I have to answer your question earlier

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 06, 2016, 04:21:35 PM »
Good hell Bobby I would double the cost of my ar after one of those optic mounts add.

Explain to me why you are against my riser ? It's 1inch

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-bases/mount-sets/ar-pepr-quick-detach-mounts-prod44296.aspx

It's not that I'm saying your riser isn't correct. If it works for you run it for all it's worth. However, you generally want the optic as CLOSE to the bore as possible. But I also understand if physical differences prevent that; so if running the spacer is comfortable for you, and works for you, then that's all that matters on this blue marble spinning in space.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:36:37 PM by BobbyB »

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 06, 2016, 06:44:06 PM »
Make it your own and then go run it.  These things are like legos.  Build what you want and then go play.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 07, 2016, 02:52:55 AM »
Make it your own and then go run it.  These things are like legos.  Build what you want and then go play.

Expensive legos at that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal