Hello Guest

Author Topic: Thinking of a smaller SUV, comments  (Read 10090 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
Thinking of a smaller SUV, comments
« on: December 10, 2015, 07:25:45 PM »
OK, I have surgery coming up and kids growing so this may be a hand me down to. Looking at older vehicles around 90's or something.

Big thing is I need to be able to get in and out without climbing up or falling down with normal size doors. I need to stay off one leg or the other for 6 weeks, then some rehab.

What comes to mind are the 4 door blazer or the Jeep XJ. I know the chevy is a full frame but not sure about the XJ. Both seem to be priced in the 1-2K area. Chevy comes with a V6 mostly and the XJ with I-6 or V8.

I am familiar with the GM stuff but not the Jeeps. Want to get something near stock for the access.

So how about some feedback guys. Likes and dislikes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of a smaller SUV, comments
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 08:17:05 PM »
OK, I have surgery coming up and kids growing so this may be a hand me down to. Looking at older vehicles around 90's or something.

Big thing is I need to be able to get in and out without climbing up or falling down with normal size doors. I need to stay off one leg or the other for 6 weeks, then some rehab.

What comes to mind are the 4 door blazer or the Jeep XJ. I know the chevy is a full frame but not sure about the XJ. Both seem to be priced in the 1-2K area. Chevy comes with a V6 mostly and the XJ with I-6 or V8.

I am familiar with the GM stuff but not the Jeeps. Want to get something near stock for the access.

So how about some feedback guys. Likes and dislikes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I do not like those chevies at all. Sister in law (Outlaw) had one. Constant trouble. But you could get one for free here in Kentucky, they are littering the shoulders of our roads with yellow tags attached to them...

I like those XJ's and the grand Cherokees as well. I owned a 93 Grand and put over 200K on it with the straight six. Good motor, but neither have a frame, all unit body stuff...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 08:34:55 PM »
I had a 96 GMC Jimmy and it was great...never did anything but change the oil, tires etc. When I traded it in 2004 it had about 190K on the meter. I know some are not fond of them but I had good luck.

You might try getting in and out of a variety of models to see if one feels easier than others. I know sometimes vehicles of similar size can feel different to get in and out of.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 08:42:29 PM »
Late 90s blazers are ok. They have a better ride and steer a whole lot better than an xj unless a bunch of stuff is wore out. Over here the Cherokees are bringin' a pretty penny (so I've been told)....I would say more than the blazers.

Cherokee pros= hold a decent value, will always have a demand....great for offroad if you so desire...fairly easy to repair and parts are cheap....engine/drivetrain is pretty durable, altho they tend to leak from every orifice after 150k.

Cherokee cons= imho, they ride like crap....primitive feeling. You can replace all of the track bars and control arms, and 20k later they're road crazy again....engine is tough, but I've done more heads on a 4.0L jeep than on a gm 4.3L....they like to run hot in the desert because the radiator isn't large enough, so guys usually raise the rear of the hood to let some heat out....exhaust manifolds like to crack. They make an aftermarket one with a flex joint built in.....unibody, tends to crack at the gear box mount.

S10 Blazer pros= Rides great when not worn out....better highway manners.....comfy seats, nicer interior, and accessories....smooth running....looks better (imo :) )....tough little 350 minus 2 cylinders.....Full frame (I would feel better towing with a frame, even if it was only small stuff)

Blazer cons= Complicated ifs ....complicated EFI system in the late 90s and they DO fail often....intake manifold WILL leak eventually....trans WILL fail eventually....ABS will probably fail....A/C compressor less durable than the factory Sanden on the Jeep......the Radiator WILL fail eventually.....

I personally would still take the Blazer over the Jeep , if it was going to be a city vehicle.

One other vehicle to consider would be a Forerunner. They're pretty tough, about the right height for "sliding" into the seat (maybe a bit high), great mileage, great resale, just harder to work on than a XJ. I have a '90 in the "fleet" that a daughter drives, and it's still going strong....228k on the ticker, original front end.

....I noticed you didn't mention minivans........................................
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:43:12 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 08:43:41 PM »
Dad had a couple of the Chevys, good little trucks for us. Even did a 2.8 to 4.3 conversion on one. I crashed one, he died when he had the other.

The GMs tend to be a few hundred more here and has a full frame. Both should be rust free here.

I like the I6 since it has a solid rep, what is the mileage like?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 08:48:31 PM »
Less than 20

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 08:50:40 PM »
Looks like we all posted bout the same time.

I think the IFS is a moot point as parts are cheap and easy to repair. Driveabilty will be an issue as it might be a hand down later and share ferrying the kids around with other families.

For the 4.3 injection, do they all use the spider or are some throttle body? What about the I6, is it tb too?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 09:09:29 PM »
IIRC the spider started in 94 or 95 with an aluminum plenum, then went to plastic after that.
The jeep 4.0 has only had port fuel injection (since the late 80s). I think the "good" ones are after 91 or 92 (high output).

The jeep 4cylinders had throttle bodies for a few years.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 09:13:16 PM »
I'm personally looking at a mid-late 90's 4Runner, can be had for a decent price, nice rigs.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 09:58:32 PM »
Had an xj then a wrangler both with 4.0l ho, xj was 96 & probe to overheating but it was a tank in the winter even in 2wd. The wrangler was a 04 & never had overheating issues I out a mild cam in it & really woke it up. Was a blast to drive, then I bought an 08 jk & besides mini van motor I love it but really gunna have to do something about that motor....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 10:23:59 PM »
My buddy talked me into putting a lift and 35s on his newer rubicon with that v-6. What. A. DOG. That thing is hurtin' for certin'!!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 10:36:12 PM »
Ken, stay tuned for build thread on jk. Got some ideas under my sleeve. Couple guys on here know what I'm doing but gunna keep it a secret for awhile yet.......

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 10:53:21 PM »
Going to leave it stock height for now. 20 mpg or so is fine too.

Heck I have 35s on the Max and it needs a regear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 10:57:17 PM »
Having driven every generation of 4Runner a 500 or so miles (parents have owned the new ones drove em when we fly in), owned a 93, a 96 and still own our 02 they are worth a look. The 4cyl in the early 90s gets great mileage and last forever. The 3.0l v6 is known to have head gasket issues, no big deal just replace the original one and run it another 100k. The third generation (96-02) with the 3.4l also lasts for ever. I know many that have 250k plus. I personally think they are easy to work on. And I've broken my fair share of crap on my truck to know this. They get 16-18mpg, parts are mostly available in store some might take an extra day. You can pull with them with no real issues, and they are pretty comfortable to ride in. The only thing you may not like is they may be a little higher to get into the seat than the others, but never compared them side by side so can't confirm or deny that. There are plenty of them available too, they just might cost a little more than the other two.

I have been fond of 4runners since I was 14 and first started looking and owned one for about 12 years now, I'm not an expert on anything just personal experience with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 11:10:36 PM »
Well, the toyotas will fetch a premium price and I don't have that now. I think an 90's jeep or blazer will be the way to go.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 10:16:59 AM »

Well, the toyotas will fetch a premium price and I don't have that now. I think an 90's jeep or blazer will be the way to go.

Yea they usually do. Good deals can be had but they don't come around too often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 10:52:31 AM »
Ken,

you HAVE to regear those JK's or you get a slug on wheels. 07-10 were bailout models w/ tweaked motors and trans all meant to satisfy EPA requirements and give them a milimile per gallon gain. even the stock ones had trouble in a head wind.

JR,

I'm a huge jeep fan, but the unibody issues, headgasket issues, ride quality and poor transmission/poor MPG of the 4.0 drive me away from the xj's. zj and wj grand cherokees have even worse trans issues with their viscous coupler systems; the 249 t case is the biggest turd out there. stock height 95 and older k5 is a great truck. and mid 90's+ 4runners are great too. just too easy to steal and big targets here due to their popularity and the black market for parts.

i'm leaning stock k5 for you and your needs.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

OldKooT

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 11:15:01 AM »
We have a Z71 or whatever the off road package S-10 is called. It's like a 2000 4.3Vortech/4l60E 3.73/LS and 32" bfgs.

Its at 249K with nothing but a intake gasket at 120K and countless dozens ball joints/tire rods. So a typical GM but it has been reliable and abused horribly. I paid $500 for it with a bad intake gasket like 7 years ago. Kids, hired hands random passing strangers use it. Its the ranch's gopher truck.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 12:11:51 PM »
Ken,

you HAVE to regear those JK's or you get a slug on wheels. 07-10 were bailout models w/ tweaked motors and trans all meant to satisfy EPA requirements and give them a milimile per gallon gain. even the stock ones had trouble in a head wind.

It's a '10....
You know what's weird? He thinks it's perfectly normal !!

Shawn, can't wait to see what you got cookin'.

...Hemi swap?

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 12:13:14 PM »

I'm a huge jeep fan, but the unibody issues, headgasket issues, ride quality and poor transmission/poor MPG of the 4.0 drive me away from the xj's.

You just hurt my XJ's feelings. It won't work next time I go to drive it..
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 12:18:30 PM »
Looking at the S10 blazers Tate. Guy down the street has a K5 (73 with rem full top) but that is to high still. Plus I want 4 doors as I haul kids around.

Couple in the area but no hurry as surgery is still unscheduled, so looks like next year now. I will not be limped up for the holidays, been bad enough already with this hole in my leg.

Leaning towards the Blazer. I know chevys better, parts galore and cheap! People like the jeep here as the Rub is so close.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 07:17:32 PM »
I may have missed it somewhere JR?  you said you were going in for surgery................care to enlighten us?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 08:43:37 PM »
I may have missed it somewhere JR?  you said you were going in for surgery................care to enlighten us?

Well, when my leg fills in (6 weeks or so) Both ankles need a complete rebuild. I have rolled them so many times I can't count and I finally said, lets fix this. MRI shows chips between the ankle and the tibia and the tendons have torn chunks of bone from the outer ankle on both sides. 6 weeks of that leg per surgery,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fun.

Basically I need something I can just sit in without a climb or fall and can haul 4 kids besides me.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:44:43 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 10:43:44 PM »
Neg, no this will be a hybrid..... 8)

Ken,

It's a '10....
You know what's weird? He thinks it's perfectly normal !!

Shawn, can't wait to see what you got cookin'.

...Hemi swap?

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 10:47:45 PM »

Well, when my leg fills in (6 weeks or so) Both ankles need a complete rebuild. I have rolled them so many times I can't count and I finally said, lets fix this. MRI shows chips between the ankle and the tibia and the tendons have torn chunks of bone from the outer ankle on both sides. 6 weeks of that leg per surgery,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fun.

Basically I need something I can just sit in without a climb or fall and can haul 4 kids besides me.

JR sounds like you need a mini van...... ;D

Hope you heal up & the knife goes well....

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 11:19:53 PM »
Minivans were designed with the older, gimped up folks in mind..... :P

They are actually one of the easiest vehicles to ingress/egress with room to maneuver, and they have a larger interior capacity. But you probably already know this.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 11:26:03 PM »
Correct, my step dad uses one as he has lower back issues....

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2015, 03:52:43 AM »
A mini van, don't make me come looking for you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Not getting this for a build, but later you never know. However my 13 year old thinks it might be hers later (she's 5-7 already)

Saw an XJ at dinner tonite, I like them but still lean towards the S10.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2015, 08:19:03 AM »
My little brother bought a Toyota minivan and he likes it. I do pick on him about that. The middle set of seats recline with an actual foot rest that pops up and it has the TV in it. He claims there is no better way to travel with 3 kids. The oldest one is 5 so yall can imagine. With the Navy telling him where to be they travel a lot. I pick on him about being in the Navy too of course.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2015, 10:02:24 AM »
I absolutely abhor mini vans...owned a sienna. But that's what this situation is calling for. Any real man will secretly give his old mini albeit with carpet infused with infant milk, vomit, pee, mickey D's coke, French fries and remnants of 10 piece chicken fingers.

So help the guy out, give him $20 for his pain and suffering, take it over to the closest fire department to hose out the interior, fill it with a couple gallons of orange cleaner and air freshener and allow it to dry. When you get healed up, take it to the range, buy some tannerite, and have some fun!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2015, 01:04:32 PM »
Well JR I think the consensus has spoken you're mini van bound...... :'(

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2015, 01:38:40 PM »
I'll cut the leg off first, no mini van.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2015, 12:12:25 AM »
Checking out a 91 cherokee now. 1300 obo been on cl for 2 weeks just needs a battery/alt so he says and drive home. About 75 miles north.

Anything to look out for like not that tranny or motor?

I6-auto-new rear and high miles from being towed
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:19:34 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2015, 02:06:16 AM »
Ha, then I find a 98 blazer in my city with just 130k on it with a small problem. Wants 2300 but think I can get for 15-1750 as is. Going to look tomorrow I hope.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2015, 08:08:34 AM »
Checking out a 91 cherokee now. 1300 obo been on cl for 2 weeks just needs a battery/alt so he says and drive home. About 75 miles north.

Anything to look out for like not that tranny or motor?

I6-auto-new rear and high miles from being towed

im a jeep guy. love mine to death. i have an 89 XJ that i swapped a SBC 355 into with 700r4 trans, locked dana 44 rear etc. sometimes i wish i would have kept the I6 that was in it. my brother has a 90 2 door with 3" lift, 33s and 270K miles. thing runs like a top. doesn't get the best mileage, but he drives it like 20 miles a week to and from base. came with custom stainless rocker panels and rear bumper with a square tube roof rack. he bought it for 1400 and the only thing he's done is change valve cover gasket. it has a small leaking rear main seal (99% of 4.0s do) and 40 psi cold oil pressure, 20 psi warm (running down the road) and almost 5-10 at idle. but if you were to listen to it with no gauge, you'd have no idea. it purs. no knock, tip bang, slap at all. its wild.

my dad bought a 94 with a funky motor. i believe blown head gasket, bad freeze plugs and an assortment of other issues, but it still ran just fine and still got 16 ish mpg. (it was a poorly maintained vehicle, being my brothers mother in laws for 10+ years.) friend of mine wrecked his 99 cherokee that we had just swapped a 130K mile motor into that was perfect. a deal was struck and guns exchanged. the next day the motor was sitting in my dads cherokee. literally.. 10 hrs to swap the old out and new in. great throttle response, no leaks, great pressure. and 17+ mpg with 2" budget boost and 31" ATs

OldKooT

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2015, 08:38:26 AM »
Jr...it's a IFS Chevy. Just use the fact it needs an entire front suspension rebuild as a bargaining chip. ;D

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2015, 09:39:11 AM »
Jr... Just use the fact it's a Chevy as a bargaining chip. ;D

Fixed it for ya Norm. :)

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2015, 01:08:28 PM »
Yep, I know its an IFS but just has 130k on it. Most other that old are 200+.

Looks clean but has stopped running a couple times on him and why he is selling. Replaced a lot of parts so not sure if the issue is fixed or if a diagnostic has been done.

Jeep is a little ruff after seeing more pics and 100mi away.

Looking at the Blazer in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2015, 07:04:38 PM »
OK, so I got the S10 that was local. Guy wanted 2350 and I got it for 1350. KKB was about 1500 but his had just 130k which is really good for 18 years old.

Bad news but not unexpected;

Loose front end
Needs at least 1 tire
Needs a good cleaning as the PO smoked
Couple seat latches missing, drivers seat a little flatened
rear bumper has a few dings (plastic)
Reportedly stalls, but think I traced it to the throttle body. Was fine all lest night driving it.
Center counsel buggered up.

Good:

Good paint cept little ding in hood
It is stock height,

Plans;

Basic fluid change (not a Don fluid change  8) )

Basic front end rebuild (tie rod ends and idler)

Address the stall if it come up.

Few pics;

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2015, 07:38:14 PM »
So JR, you make a deal with the city for paid parking on the street? Just how many rigs you have sitting around at any given time?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 07:12:33 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2015, 08:10:10 PM »
^^ I was thinking the same thing...
I tally...

2 burbans
d-max
el camino
blazer
suzuki
travel trailer
utility trailer
whatever the wife drives...

and a bunch of other misc parts piled up in the side/back yard.

Sound about right JR? ;)
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2015, 08:14:03 PM »
In the driveway I have 2 suburbans, 1 El Camino, Wifes Captiva.

In street, Dmax and Blazer.

Side of house, Toy Hauler and M1101 trailer.

Other side of house, Home made trailer.

Behind house, Samurai.

Garage, Hondo XR600R

Shed, trail 70

And I still have lots of room!

1 suburban will be sold, probably the XR600 (for a bike not needing a fluid change) and the Samurai (needs a motor swap which I have).

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2015, 08:14:11 PM »
Looks like a good pick up JR.  My dad has a 92 S-10 P/U with the 4.3.  Easy to work on and been reliable.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2015, 08:15:24 PM »
Are you watching me or something????????????????

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »
I swapped a 4.3 into an older one like that, was easy. All factory parts.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2015, 08:41:38 PM »
Don't know how you beat him down a grand, but it looks pretty good from here.

Did you squash some parking tickets for him?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2015, 09:23:37 PM »
I simply addressed the above issues, told him KKB was 1440 (based on 160k average) . He needed cash and I had it.

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2015, 07:19:13 AM »
Looks like ya scored something you can work with. Should make a good driver.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2015, 10:45:27 AM »
Yep, should work good without a climb in out and save wear/tear on the dmax and Sub.

Entire front end kits are under $100. Taking it to the full service wash today and drop it off for the full treatment. Should have it back before SD runs for sure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2015, 05:27:23 PM »
Got it cleaned up and found a little more to do with it before it is solid.

1 front wheel hub bad (unexpected), bad tie-rods and idler (expected) and maybe a bad muffler. Hear a rattle n the back and see a clamp around the muffler so need to look at that more.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal