Hello Guest

Author Topic: New Goals  (Read 4485 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
New Goals
« on: December 27, 2015, 10:37:13 PM »
So since moving to CO in June I was running 3-5 miles approx. 3x per week. First month or two the altitude change really dragged on me. We currently live at 5300' here in Northern CO. On black Friday we purchased an annual discounted gym membership for the family in the huge complex called the Erie Rec Center. Since then I have been hitting the gym 3-4x per week on average sometimes more. I have revisited my long lost love of Precor ellipticals and the model I'm currently beating myself up on is a 100i. This machine is very low impact and right now I'm at 45 min around 680 calories burned and 3.5 miles at a level 9 on the resistance scale for the machine. At this pace I'm drenched by the time 45 mins is up. Approximately once a week I up the resistance level. My goal is to work up to a level 12 resistance and then increase my miles to 5 miles in 45 minutes. This was my mid 20's cardio workout and I could run forever it seemed. Currently I am not winded at this pace, once I get to the level 12 and start cutting my times we'll see if that's still the case. I figure 40 is creeping up and I'm going to go down fighting. I'm also doing some very light lifting (more of a cardio workout) and biking on occasion. Then end goal is to lose weight, gain a lot of endurance and try my hand at hiking some 14'ers this spring and summer. I have noticed that the family is following my lead especially the wife unit. Not doing anything real special for diet other than staying away from soda, sugar and limiting bread intake.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 10:38:22 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: New Goals
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 02:02:08 AM »
Good times right there. My buddy was stationed in CO, and he used to lead his unit in PT up the Manitou incline. Some people I know who moved out there hike it as well, so give it a shot, well once it's warm.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 10:01:19 AM »
Bobby, copy I'll look that up. Wife bough me a book on hiking co for my b-day. We're also planning on doing some dispersed camping this year. Family fun & trial run for when not so pleasantries begin......

Edit: looked that up, couple hours south of me but it's free & looks to be a good time. 1 mile & 2,000' climb......
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 10:07:22 AM by stlaser »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:49:36 AM »
FYI: one half of the earth's atmosphere exists from sea level up to 4,000 feet, so at a mile high, you are already on the short side. To compensate, the human body will actually generate an extra quart of blood over a year or two depending on physical exertion.
Two points here: You will have more endurance having trained at altitude than the beach combers. Secondly, going higher has less of an effect up to a point.

The tipping points are 10,000, 12,000, and 14,000 feet
Military Aviators can fly at 10,000 indefinitely
Above that from 10,000-12,000 they are limited to an hour max without supplemental O2
From 12,000-14,000 you are limited to 30 min max, and from experience closer to the top end only works if you have been working out.
Aviators need to be on O2 constantly for any flights above 14,000 for any amount of time. You will find it really difficult above or around 12,000.
I sure saw that over in Afghanistan!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:32:28 AM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 11:13:56 AM »
Good info, suppose that's why they sell the o2 cans in all the sporting goods stores.... ;)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 06:11:01 PM »
Ok, currently at level 12 as of today on the precor. 45 min workout getting 760 plus calories & just shy of 4 miles.....

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 06:20:51 PM »
Wait until 50 starts creeping up on you.....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 07:25:10 PM »
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I still have a couple until 40......

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 10:46:42 PM »
Age has something to do with your health, but I'd have to say it is more a function of your attitude.

Exercise, then diet is the key along with adherence to a few key scripture verses

A determined attitude will keep you working out. If you do that you continue to get all the benefits of a good circulatory system and heart. That vital system is the engine that powers the system which knows how to repair itself and remain very useful for all of it's days.

I was over 50 when I tested out for BlackWater and on that day beat the young Marines who showed up to be vetted as well. Beat guys more than half my age. They were now smoking and riding the coat tails of earlier victories. I had just been walking and running and lifting. On Friday nights, in miserable weather in the cold and when others were partying. It made the difference...in my life it has always made the difference.

Turning 50 is relative with respect to your condition, based on how much time you spent keeping your carcass in condition. Do what you read about Bobby doing, but do it ten and even twenty years past the time the popularity fades and I promise you turning 50 will best most other guys turning 30.

At 61 I worked out yesterday, and Friday, and plan one for tomorrow morning. I have expectations to still be doing it 10 and 20 years from now. And I'm not trying to say I'm anybody, far from it I'm just a fat old guy, but I can still do it! Take heed of the death knell of health, youthfulness and vigor...It sounds like this: I am so busy with work and family these days, I no longer have time to workout!

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 01:06:08 AM »

I am looking at 60 and boy do I hear you Don.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 09:00:28 AM »

I am looking at 60 and boy do I hear you Don.
Yea, just never give in to convention. Be a fool out there water boarding at 70! Who cares what all the couch potatoes think anyway!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 09:57:15 AM »
You quotin' trump on that Don?

"waterboarding at 70, it's not just a young interrogator's sport" . haha
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 10:28:59 AM »
You quotin' trump on that Don?

"waterboarding at 70, it's not just a young interrogator's sport" . haha
I'd be willing to water-board some ISIS folks...sure, at any age!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 08:49:37 PM »
Ok, enough DOTing of this thread. Started the standard kettle bell swings this morning with 40# unit after my 4 miles. Plan is for 4 sets of 10 reps but did 2 sets & called it quits. Learning to ease into any routine rather than have an early on injury that would shut me down for any period of time.

Also have been doing a lot more stretches. Never had lower back pain ever but noticed in last month or so my lower back has been getting tight. Standard toe touches & hurdle stretches are working wonders. Each is done to a 10 count.

3.5 months into this on a slow weight loss plan. It would speed up if I'd go to the gym more than every other day. I am going to start watching what I eat a little closer this week, more salads & less bread. So that should help speed things up a bit. I'm also in process of building several outdoor items. On the list is raised garden bed (finished other than adding excess dirt from next projects), couple decks, tiling in by hand down spout drains, and a 8x10 storage shed. Using the dummy sticks to set the posts has been a good workout addition as well.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 11:08:15 AM »
How about a "Keep you honest post"

Here's how it works

You state your weight publicly, and your goal

Then once a week, good or bad you post your weight.

That way we see your progress and we will definitely make you feel poorly if you fail. And a few of us might cheer ya on. What about it, up for a public weight loss showing. Biggest winner or loser and all that?

Do I have an idea here folks??

Anyone like it...perhaps expand on the idea..? It's swim suit season. Norm is going to get out in some lake somewhere with the kids...Just sayin'

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 04:46:30 PM »
Ask me in a month.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 07:04:19 AM »
I do like to swim..the wife and I go fat dipping sometimes on hot summer nights.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 11:54:56 AM »
Ok, so workout is evolving. Still doing the cardio & some weight lifting which amounts to one day a week on kettle bells (yeah they get their own day), one day is arms & one day is shoulders / chest. As of Saturday I started including assisted dips into the routine. Definitely feeling those dips, everything I do is 4 sets of 10 btw. At some point I'll work pull ups into the mix. Currently I'm
Just doing lateral pull downs front and back to work those muscles.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 12:36:26 PM »
I need a couple kettlebells.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 08:53:36 PM »

You do, I did my kb workout two days ago & still recouping from it.

On another note the wife unit had me watching cross fit comps on Netflix last night. How cool, had no idea. Wish I would have known of those in my early 20's......

Speaking of the wife unit. She's been struggling with getting in shape. Partly due to a couple lower fractured vertebra & the fact she has always ate what she wanted, never had to work out & stayed tiny. Well, I think kids, age & life finally caught up. So I've been trying different things to get her cardio in and it's been a bit of a fight.

Couple weeks ago I stopped in a local bike shop & started researching bikes. Today she agreed to go for test drives & we both came home with new rides. I'll post up pics & specs later. We took our first ride this evening for around 6 miles.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2016, 09:48:44 PM »

You do, I did my kb workout two days ago & still recouping from it.

On another note the wife unit had me watching cross fit comps on Netflix last night. How cool, had no idea. Wish I would have known of those in my early 20's......

Speaking of the wife unit. She's been struggling with getting in shape. Partly due to a couple lower fractured vertebra & the fact she has always ate what she wanted, never had to work out & stayed tiny. Well, I think kids, age & life finally caught up. So I've been trying different things to get her cardio in and it's been a bit of a fight.

Couple weeks ago I stopped in a local bike shop & started researching bikes. Today she agreed to go for test drives & we both came home with new rides. I'll post up pics & specs later. We took our first ride this evening for around 6 miles.

I wish I had the mountains like out there, I'd be rucking those things all the time. I recently found out I've gained weight, haven't stepped on a scale since Jan, and when I did I went " censored..."

So I guess I have to go back to no coffee, no juice just water, and light meals and extra PT until I see a number I prefer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal