Hello Guest

Author Topic: Weapons Safe-Storage "er whats in your closet"  (Read 7661 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Weapons Safe-Storage "er whats in your closet"
« on: December 29, 2015, 11:11:51 PM »
Thought I would start a thread on Storage. Not on what guns you own (why give it away!)

Any hoo, show your storage, safe or ideas. Don't need your secrets but ideas are cool.

Here is my BIG safe in the garage. Liberty "Franklin 50" made by Liberty http://www.libertysafenorcal.com/safe-franklin-safes-ps-6.html

This on has the dehumidifier, door pockets and motion light I put in.

I keep the American Flag over it for a few reasons, but I like it!

It is full with very little ammo. Lots of parts but boxes of those around the garage too.

I have another off brand about half the size in the house, behind a dead bolt in a small closet.

So, "whats in your closet" or den, man room or where ever?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons Safe-Storage "er whats in your closet"
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 11:26:16 PM »
Nothing, I sold everything before moving to commi Colorado...........
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 11:41:10 PM »
Nothing, I sold everything before moving to commi Colorado...........

That is sad. Its almost worse than Kali.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 11:53:35 PM »
I wouldn't go that far..... ;)

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 02:36:28 PM »
JR  I have an old National Security Mag Plus model I think it has a 24 gun capacity.

This one has some mileage on it. It came with a house I bought in Tacoma. The previous owner was moving to Alaska and didn't want to pay to take it with him. So it has been moved from Tacoma,WA to Steilacoom, WA to Southlake, TX, to Trophy Club, TX, to Mullica Hill, NJ to St Cloud, MN. It has always been a rodeo watching it get moved! More than once I thought it was breaking loose and heading down some hill because how heavy it is.

My pistols are in their boxes. My challenge is it sits in the garage that is not heated or cooled. So could below zero for many months of the year. 

Whenever I go to shoot I always bring the guns inside the night before and let them warm up slowly. Then clean and lube well after. In inspecting them they don't seem to have any adverse affects so far after 4 years. Does anyone have any good heating / de-humidification options to try a mitigate the cold?

Thanks

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 04:43:31 PM »
you don't warm the gun before you pull the trigger when your out in the field about to shoot that deer.......
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 04:48:34 PM »
Whenever I go to shoot I always bring the guns inside the night before and let them warm up slowly. Then clean and lube well after. In inspecting them they don't seem to have any adverse affects so far after 4 years. Does anyone have any good heating / de-humidification options to try a mitigate the cold?

I doubt you're going to cause any or notice any adverse effects. Once you pull them out, travel to the range, pull them out, work through the collection you invariably brought with you, they will have adjusted to the temps.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 03:01:25 AM »
Here are a couple of additions for the personal stuff. Things you want to keep close,,,,,,,,,,,

I keep the Fortress in the garage. This is the go to as the big guy is in the rear being guarded by Old Glory.

This is a 4 number combo that can easily be opened without looking and has a tray more mags too. This guy was just $40 at Costco, I now have 2 (trailer needs safe too)

The second is a wall mount unit I showed in another thread. It was $85 from Costco online, see them in the store for $100. Just holds a single handgun, mags on the edge with trimming. That is a 1911 combat with a muzzle break and it fits fine.
This in the closet by the front door for fast access. I also keep a can of wasp spray up there for all. Works great as a defense spray and shoots 20 ft with great results.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 03:04:19 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »
you don't warm the gun before you pull the trigger when your out in the field about to shoot that deer.......

Nate, Bobby, Very true. I have had sub freezing elk hunts where everything operated just fine. For me it was just trying to keep moisture down in all of the non accessible areas. I don't get to shoot very often so they sit for extended periods of times. I probably haven't shot my 30.06 for 20 years.

I am trying to work a Texas style hunting / access lease to 70 acres across the road from us so I can set up a 100 yard range plus a trap shooting area. Hope he doesn't want too much money.

Most long ranges are either private clubs or shut down in Winter. No heated areas. All indoor at 25 yards or so.

So I need a better option to practice.
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 03:44:07 PM »
Normally don't share all my secrets , but here's one I got from cabelas before they quit selling them. ..liberty. .1500+ lbs
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 03:55:57 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Spacecase544

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 11:24:39 AM »
I'll try to snap a picture this afternoon, but I have a GunVault branded box mounted under the left rear seat of my truck.  I can reach under and access the keypad without lifting the seat, and can store my Glock carry and my wife's Ruger LC9s no problem.  Very handy to have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 08:47:03 AM »
What do you guys in the south do for the humidity and your safes? I save all the little descent packages that come in pills-shoe boxes and toss them in the bottom corner

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 09:17:06 AM »
I'm not in the south, but I have a hot rod, and a 300gm desiccant can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 09:39:14 AM »
Picked up a 36 gun Stack On last night.  Nothing special but I was on a bit of a budget and also have limited amount of space to put it in the office.  It will atleast offer a little bit of protection and give me a place to put them all.  It didn't come with one but I plan to get something with pockets in the door.  Some place to store mags and extra shot gun barrels.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 11:36:57 AM »
I've got a Liberty, 30min. fire rated with a recently upgraded "Golden Rod" that lives in the garage, as switchback stair cases don't play nice with moving an 800lb. metal box taking up all the space to manuver around the corner!

Have a Stack-on finger sequence box on top of the fridge and another stashed on the upper floor.

Truck-vault in the vehicle within easy reach of the driver.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

OldKooT

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 11:45:59 AM »
So you folks with safes...do u keep your ammunition in the safes as well?

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 12:16:06 PM »
So you folks with safes...do u keep your ammunition in the safes as well?
Nope
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 01:10:10 PM »
A few mags and a few are loaded. I would have no room for guns,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 04:23:16 PM »
Same with me just a few loaded mags.

All of my ammo stash sits in ammo cans in a closet. I've been thinking about buying a liberty ammo can. I would probably need 2-3 of them ;)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 05:06:19 PM »
Friend of mine has a few safes that are ammo only......

I try to keep the majority of mine in ammo cans just for ease of storage & inventory....

OldKooT

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 05:56:42 PM »
I am trying to trim down on guns, so I am rethinking storage. I keep most of my ammo in cans as well.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 06:02:39 PM »
For 50cal boxes I have found them for well under $10 each in lots.

I am really liking the $5 30cal plastic boxes at wally.

Loading stuff in its own metal cabinet.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 06:42:32 PM »
I am trying to trim down on guns, so I am rethinking storage. I keep most of my ammo in cans as well.

I've been doing this as well...i.e. trimming down my inventory

I sold a nice Marlin 336C and a Remington 700BDL .264 mag this past year. I have a ton of pistols, but I need plenty of "Stashers" so they are still useful.

I'm only keeping some to inherit away when I leave this earth, and then only 12 gage, .22LR, 5.56, .308, AK-47, my .300Mag, .45ACP, 9mm Luger, and .40 auto. Everything else can give up space...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2016, 06:38:28 PM »
What do you guys in the south do for the humidity and your safes? I save all the little descent packages that come in pills-shoe boxes and toss them in the bottom corner

Raising boys into RealMen!!
I keep one of the dehumidifier rods in mine. Every once in a while I reach down to feel that it is still working. I also keep all my sentimental hunting rifles and shotguns inside gun socks.

What have y'all used for bolting the safes to the floor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2016, 08:25:02 PM »
In concrete I use the threaded anchors 3/8" or 1/2" bolts. Need a good hammer drill for the 3/4 or whatever the 1/2" anchor uses.
On wood floors, I try to find a floor joist with at least one row and drive a 3 1/2-4" 3/8" lag bolt.
If possible hitting a wall stud adds security as well.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2016, 10:11:59 PM »
I have an older Cannon upstairs in the walk-in closet and just ordered a Liberty Classic 50 for downstairs. My question is, do you guys try to somewhat place these things out of sight or leave them out in the open. I was going to build cabinets and shelves along the wall to help hide the new one but the sales/factory rep says to leave it out in the open. Unless you are unlucky enough to have a professional thief visit, the druggies will just go to the neighbors house rather than fight with a safe.  The pro will find the safe anyway so don't bother building it in, just bolt it into the concrete floor and call it a day. This new one can be seen through the window, and I am not sure which way to go. It weighs 1,400 lbs empty and when bolted into the concrete I don't think it will be packed off easily. I just don't want all my wife's stuff stolen.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2016, 10:18:17 PM »
Out of sight is always better - in view says, "I've got weapons and valuables here" so might as well not draw attention to the fact.

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2016, 10:23:35 PM »
My Fat Boy is in the garage but I keep an American Flag hanging on it using magnets. Looks good from the street.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2016, 12:23:29 AM »
Out of sight is always better - in view says, "I've got weapons and valuables here" so might as well not draw attention to the fact.

If they are looking in the lower window at the rear of the house they are not there to deliver anything. The sales guy thinks if they see the safe they might think we have valuables alright but they are in that safe so lets hit the neighbor's house instead.

if we are gone very far from home the shades are drawn and the alarm is set. Not the case if we just go to town to the store but we probably should be setting the alarm at least. I have a couple weeks to think about it and added shelves and storage wouldn't be bad either.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2016, 10:41:53 AM »
Mine is in a dark corner of the garage and is painted dull, speckled pattern so it blends in well.  Just added interior magnetic LED lights since it is so dark.  3 AAA batteries in each and they are motion activated- turn on/off automatically when safe door is opened or closed.  Pretty slick addition

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2016, 11:34:37 AM »
I have the same lights, work great.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2016, 11:52:10 AM »
 There is a train of thought that diversion is good. Have a cheap safe that can be broken into using the most common method, which is to throw it on its back and use pry bars to separate the door from the body. In that safe keep some costume jewelry and expired stock certificates and other worthless stuff that will make them think they got something. Then keep your real stuff in a hidden place
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 01:48:35 PM »
I keep my powder in that safe. The others need more than a prybar.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal