Hello Guest

Author Topic: Robert Blout  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Robert Blout
« on: December 30, 2015, 09:26:42 AM »
Robert Blout...We all call him uncle Bob

Last night we celebrated his 96th birthday!

He looks maybe mid 70's and obviously has longevity in his bloodline.

He is all alone save for all of us. None of the people of his generation are around anymore, Life for them a thing of the past.

Uncle Bob is no ordinary man to say the least. He lives very modestly in a trailer he purchased sometime in the early 1960's. A small white and blue thing that he resides in and hardly if ever leaves anymore.

Up until a year or so ago, he did morning situps and pushups, a carryover from his Army days no doubt.

Bob, who enlisted in the Army for the infantry was sent to Great Britian. He joined over a million other US Soldiers waiting to invade Europe. He was some sort of super infantry guy and was picked to go join a bunch of crazy guys, called Rangers. Bob says they were nuts, so much so that he asked to be placed back into his old unit with the buddies he had joined with and others he had come to know.

He spent 5 months with the rangers, but when D-Day came, he hit the beaches with an infantry division. Bob crewed a half track towing a 37mm anti tank gun. He fought all the way across France and into Germany. He was wounded, fought nearly every day, was overrun once and had to flee into the forest to survive. He fought back perusing German infantry with their own weapons, but ditched them for fear he would be killed upon capture. Germans did not take lightly to us soldiers using their dead comrades weapons against them. Bob didn't care. He liked the 9mm sub machine gun over his Garand.
Bob fought every day until the war ended and then served for a goodly time as the occupying Army in Germany. Blout is a German name. His grand parents I think came from the old country, and I believe he speaks some of the language. He can't hear anymore, so conversation is difficult.

His walls are festooned with daggers and swords he took off of dead SS officers he killed. My boys are always fascinated by them. He even picked up what I think is a French sword from the crusades from a monastery.

He has a swastika luger in the 7.62 caliber and some other weird German pistol. But he doesn't talk about it. Looking at pics he has will cause tears and a PTSD like reaction from him.

He's the real deal, and he is one of the last. Happy Birthday Bob!

He won't read this, he doesn't do computers...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Blout
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 10:16:55 AM »
I've only ever met one guy who was a part of D-Day. Amazing generation they were.....
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 11:19:34 AM by Flyin6 »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 11:20:11 AM »
My dad...

B-17G driver
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 11:35:18 AM »
Happy Birthday Bob, you rough and tough SOB!!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 11:45:53 AM »
Don that is a poignant Happy Birthday for a tough soldier. I will say a prayer for him today. When I was younger my uncle would tell great stories about the times he had in France, Belgium and Germany. But he, like Uncle Bob changed over time and the stories changed from good ones with laughter to ones of sadness as more of the evils crept back in to his mind. I wish we could spare these tough men who saved civilization from the terrifying moments that re-appear in their minds. They deserve peace and tranquility of thought as they get closer to meeting the Lord.  :-[

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 12:08:23 PM »
True patriot... Happy birthday sir. I can imagine why he wouldn't want to recollect the horrors of that war.

My grandpa was on Normandy on D7... I got his old zippo when he died. He had soldered on some an officer's medallion and a lapel pin from a dead Nazi... stays tucked away in the safe now. Never got the chance to talk with him about it, the only stories I got were from my grandma, and I think even she got the sugar coated version.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 02:06:50 PM »
Happy birthday sir!  We need more men like you today. Perhaps they could kick this current worthless generation in the arse and get them straight.

My departed grand dad served in the Navy in Pearl Harbor. Never could get many stories out of him but he was there when IT happened. 

The best stories are those that I heard on reel to reel tape when I was about 4-5 yrs old. They were radio traffic recordings from guys on patrol in Vietnam in various firefights. A friend of my dad's had them.  I don't recall how he ended up with them but they were intense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal