Hello Guest

Author Topic: My New Project  (Read 5059 times)

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
My New Project
« on: February 22, 2016, 11:41:42 AM »
So in my spare time(like I have a lot), I was finally able to finish this.  I have two short flights so far and need to make adjustments.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: My New Project
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 12:06:58 PM »
That looks seriously wrong!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 12:10:20 PM »

Do we need to put another spinning twirly thing on it so you feel better?  ;D

That looks fun. Tell me more... bitte.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:11:12 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

OldKooT

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 12:15:27 PM »
That rocks... I could so use a Lawn chair with a fan on those hot days in the shop.

8)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 12:21:08 PM »

No, keep me away from that thing...

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 12:21:23 PM »
Looks fun!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 12:36:21 PM »
That reminded me of my days (Daze??) working in CUWTF (Combined Unconventional Warfare Task Force) a thing in another country.

I get tasked to fly up to their base in a hook and work on this project with them.

OK, cool, always up for some adventure.

Upon arrival this Sergeant and Captain shows up at the helo pad with a hang glider

A hang glider...!

They want me to fly over the DZ at ten grand and this knucklehead wants to somehow jump out the back of my hook and fly away with this thing!

First off, it wouldn't fit...Engineering 101: Make sure the thing fits! Ever build something inside your garage too big to get out of the door?

Yea like that...

So they pull off the outboard part of the wing while my savvey Staff Sergeant Flight Engineer is asking me, "Chief, you really going to let them do this?" Of course I answered, "No way, but let's watch this for awhile, see what they come up, then we'll fly back home in time for evening chow."

They jimmied this thing up for awhile then the Captain presented his test dummy with it all strapped to his back. My crew, all four deep who were leaning against the fuel tank on the side of the hook just clapped. They bowed (They were from another nation's Army...)

Then I told them No F---- ----! ---!!! ---- Way, now clear the pad we're leaving.

Never heard anything else from them. And I didn't have to practice my parade rest in front of the Colonel!

True story!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:38:51 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 01:24:43 PM »
My cousin has a two seater one of those (well I think....his has a parachute....I assume yours does too? ha!). He flies all over northern Maine in it. Pretty cool machines. And no worries if the engine goes out....he just glides back down with the chute.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 03:11:34 PM »
That reminded me of my days (Daze??) working in CUWTF (Combined Unconventional Warfare Task Force) a thing in another country.

I get tasked to fly up to their base in a hook and work on this project with them.

Upon arrival this Sergeant and Captain shows up at the helo pad with a hang glider

A hang glider...!

They want me to fly over the DZ at ten grand and this knucklehead wants to somehow jump out the back of my hook and fly away with this thing!

First off, it wouldn't fit...Engineering 101: Make sure the thing fits! Ever build something inside your garage too big to get out of the door?

Yea like that...

So they pull off the outboard part of the wing while my savvey Staff Sergeant Flight Engineer is asking me, "Chief, you really going to let them do this?" Of course I answered, "No way, but let's watch this for awhile, see what they come up, then we'll fly back home in time for evening chow."

They jimmied this thing up for awhile then the Captain presented his test dummy with it all strapped to his back. My crew, all four deep who were leaning against the fuel tank on the side of the hook just clapped. They bowed (They were from another nation's Army...)

Then I told them No F---- ----! ---!!! ---- Way, now clear the pad we're leaving.

Never heard anything else from them. And I didn't have to practice my parade rest in front of the Colonel!

True story!

You are correct that would not of worked but you could of towed him up, I would want a long tow rope because of the turbulence coming off your bird, it could of worked just not the way they were doing it.  You would need a VERY VERY good hang-gliding pilot to pull something like that off.  It was for the best that you stopped it where you did, I would not want to be in front of the accident board for that mess.  I don’t see the point of using a hang-glider in that situation,  there was not a lot thought put into that project.  It sounds like someone was just trying to say they flew their hang-glider in Afghanistan! 

I have only flown one system(single man) that would have worked over there but I got really tired trying to convince people that are supposed to smart  the basics of engineering and how to use the tools they have let alone how to deploy a new tool that will work, and make a difference.

I have done static launches off a hot air balloons but I fly paragliders, and not that I have anything against hang-gliders because they do have advantages over paragliders but way too much structure to worry about. 

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 06:00:11 PM »

Don't be a hater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, keep me away from that thing...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 08:47:10 PM »

A hang glider...!

Yea like that...

True story!

You are correct that would not of worked but you could of towed him up, I would want a long tow rope because of the turbulence coming off your bird, it could of worked just not the way they were doing it.  You would need a VERY VERY good hang-gliding pilot to pull something like that off.  It was for the best that you stopped it where you did, I would not want to be in front of the accident board for that mess.  I don’t see the point of using a hang-glider in that situation,  there was not a lot thought put into that project.  It sounds like someone was just trying to say they flew their hang-glider in Afghanistan! 

I have only flown one system(single man) that would have worked over there but I got really tired trying to convince people that are supposed to smart  the basics of engineering and how to use the tools they have let alone how to deploy a new tool that will work, and make a difference.

I have done static launches off a hot air balloons but I fly paragliders, and not that I have anything against hang-gliders because they do have advantages over paragliders but way too much structure to worry about. 

Not the Stan...

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 08:49:13 PM »
Don't they use those crazy "flying squirrel suits" in the military?  Jump out of a perfectly good plane and glide/fly into places some tens of miles away popping a parachute to land?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 08:53:32 PM »
Don't they use those crazy "flying squirrel suits" in the military?  Jump out of a perfectly good plane and glide/fly into places some tens of miles away popping a parachute to land?
I don't think so

Most guys are like Bobbe. Knucklehead grunt all covered up with gear falls out the back and is seldom seen again, well until it's time to pick em up or if you have food.

Spec ops guys have some crazy gear to be sure, but flyin' squirrel, well, not in my day...

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 09:26:40 PM »
http://www.martinjetpack.com/

I flew on of these down in Kiwi land,  great unit, last I heard the Marines were buying some but were making them cargo drones for resupply missions.  Looks like they might pulled the plug now.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 02:54:13 AM »
I don't think so

Most guys are like Bobbe. Knucklehead grunt all covered up with gear falls out the back and is seldom seen again, well until it's time to pick em up or if you have food.

Spec ops guys have some crazy gear to be sure, but flyin' squirrel, well, not in my day...

Falling is pretty accurate.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

OldKooT

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 07:26:22 AM »
I did some you-tube research...those look fun. That said...I'd be concerned about getting shot down around here. Someone would think I am a Monsanto drone/spy.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 10:51:55 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bbmgwZAMuU

so you can kind of get the idea!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal