Hello Guest

Author Topic: northern trucks  (Read 2134 times)

Offline halsey

• Registered
    • View Profile
northern trucks
« on: March 02, 2016, 08:12:07 PM »
Up here in Alberta I've started looking for a truck to keep here. I've been driving a 1990 w350 for more years than I can count now and would like to keep it at my place in WA and have a second truck up here. Interesting things turn up here. Found an unusual rig the seller calls a 1993 but it has an early non intercooled 12 valve and a dually that looks to be from a cab/chassis truck. About 4500-5000 usd . Then along comes a 2003 Dodge dually with about 180,000 miles. The guy wants about 6000 usd. Nice rig and great to drive but too much computer stuff for my taste. Today I was offeerd a 2004 Duramax LLY for 4500 usd. I know nothing about Duramax.  Fun looking. I'm most interested in another 12 valve 1st gen truck.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: northern trucks
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 08:18:11 PM »
so are you needing advice?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline halsey

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 08:22:12 PM »

Mostly just showing some stuff up here. The sagging oil prices are bringing all kinds of stuff up for sale. But of course input is welcome.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 08:27:25 PM »
Is that black dodge a 5.9 cummins?
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline halsey

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 08:28:42 PM »

Yes, the black truck is a cummins.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 11:52:52 PM »
Thats 1/2 of what they go for here. Specially the Dmax. Any commonrail is going to be ECM heavy but will start in the cold way better than a 12v.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 08:52:13 AM »
Yesterday I could have bought a 2001 Duramax 4x4 crew cab for $3400 at the farm sale I went to. It was rust free, original paint, leather interior, and had receipts for the new transmission/case 15K miles ago. 168K miles on the truck. Around here that's about average for a Duramax that age...they are hard to sell.

I like that first gen Dodge in the above pictures...wonder if it's as clean as it looks.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 09:12:45 AM »
Yesterday I could have bought a 2001 Duramax 4x4 crew cab for $3400 at the farm sale I went to. It was rust free, original paint, leather interior, and had receipts for the new transmission/case 15K miles ago. 168K miles on the truck. Around here that's about average for a Duramax that age...they are hard to sell.

How is that hard to sell??
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

OldKooT

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 09:40:49 AM »
At $3400 I'd have had to sell it for $4000 to make it worth my time to load it on a trailer, stand inline at the auction to pay for it, and switch the title in my name. And that's if I didn't want a profit.

If I asked say $5k for it Id probably own it for months and months...I was struggling with the concept of being seen bidding on it LoL Used Duramax trucks are a dime a dozen around here...they just have no resale market above the price point it sold at.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 09:49:34 AM »
All I can add is...
halsey, if you don't like complicated, stay the heck away from the Dmax's!!!!!!!!!!!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 01:46:02 PM »
I'm thinking the roads never see salt in Alberta, am I correct?

Those trucks look good, and knowing what salt does, or doesn't do when it isn't present, I can see the trucks lasting a very long time.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 02:06:30 PM »
At $3400 I'd have had to sell it for $4000 to make it worth my time to load it on a trailer, stand inline at the auction to pay for it, and switch the title in my name. And that's if I didn't want a profit.

If I asked say $5k for it Id probably own it for months and months...I was struggling with the concept of being seen bidding on it LoL Used Duramax trucks are a dime a dozen around here...they just have no resale market above the price point it sold at.

You could sell that up in this area rather easy.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline halsey

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 02:57:32 PM »
I'm thinking the roads never see salt in Alberta, am I correct?

Lots of salt in Alberta and lots of Dodge rust. It's a problem. The black truck has new front fenders and a replacement bed. Hence the black armour guard paint job. It also has new 4" exhaust, big air intake and bully dog programmer.
The first gen is made up of parts from at least 4 trucks. It has some bondo here and there I think. The red is all rock guard.

My wife's Civic has rust many places. Yes, lots of salt.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 03:30:12 PM by halsey »

OldKooT

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 05:24:49 PM »
Yah Bobby...while I was bidding on it I considered just that actually. I promised myself if it went for less than $3200 (the two before it had) I would buy it and somehow sneak it home without anyone seeing me and haul it to Wis our next visit to sell to someone who wants a rust free ride. I have a few friends up that way that I routinely ship junk to because they "order" something rust free. In fact right now I am watching for a rust free Ford Bronco 2 for a friend looking to build a trail toy or something.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal