Hello Guest

Author Topic: ground beef  (Read 739 times)

Offline nmeyer414

• View Profile
ground beef
« on: March 10, 2016, 04:44:57 PM »
we have a 10.56lb select brisket getting cubed in preparation for making ground burger meat tomorrow.
Nate

Push a KIA or Prius into the ditch this winter if the opportunity arises........it'll build character for a suffering millennial! or if you see Donkey Kong in a Jetta expect a wedding in the works

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: ground beef
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 05:33:20 PM »
It's delicious and worth it. We run a combo brisket/chuck/short rib and it's heaven. I like cooking in a commercial kitchen but miss having time to prep stuff for myself too. Thanks for making me hungry as always Nate.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline nmeyer414

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 06:11:11 PM »
I go with just brisket, because when you start adding in other stuff like you posted you cannot tell any difference and the extra work and $$$ is for nothing?!

now don't get me wrong when it comes to operating space, I LOVE working in an industrial kitchen because of the room!  but in all reality, if you have a good kitchen setup like myself and kyle then you will not want to deal with industrial type stuff when it comes to cleaning / sanitation.

here are a few pics of my kitchen setup.  to be honest, I REALLY HATE the low counters!  when you stand 6'2" it really hurts your back having to bend over for a long time.  but when you have a wife that is vertically challenged and VERY TOP HEAVY you learn to deal with the low counters.

Nate

Push a KIA or Prius into the ditch this winter if the opportunity arises........it'll build character for a suffering millennial! or if you see Donkey Kong in a Jetta expect a wedding in the works

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 10:31:56 AM »
Nate there's good and bad in everything.  ;)

Is that brisket you wouldn't otherwise cook as a brisket (BBQ)? just extra? Or do you find it is really superior as burger meat? Just curious.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 11:13:59 AM »
My home kitchen is similar in size, I just wish I had a sanitizer and full tile floor w/ central drain to hose down;-) I'm sure you're right on the single cut choice, but this is just what they get into the restaurant and I have no exemplar to compare to. Guess I'll just have to do some up myself and run a taste test!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline nmeyer414

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 05:03:47 PM »
Wilbur,
I use brisket because I don't have to add any additional fat like I would using another type of cut.  if you use a choice or select grade brisket, trim a bit of the really hard fat off and grind it, you will end up with basically 80/20 ground beef.

lets be real here, I am not trying to win any james beard awards for the house (different types of exotic cuts / meats) and when it comes to the all mighty $$$ brisket is already leaps and bounds above the lips and a$$h*&^s you get with regular ground beef.

now if I had true access to live cows, I would be buying a full side straight from the processor.  I would know what it was fed, inoculated with, and how it was handled / processed.

tate,
one of the things that will be implemented in my permanent residence will be a truly open kitchen with some industrial grade equipment as well as having a full working outdoor cooking / working area.

I forgot to take a pic of the end result.  out of the 10.56lb brisket I got exactly 9 lbs of finished product.

Nate