GENERAL TOPICS > D.O.T.

Well, lets rebuild an ankle!!

(1/15) > >>

JR:
As many of you I am getting surgery on my right ankle. A total rebuild actually removing chips, floaters and using cadaver tendons to repair what I have left. This was all caused by rolling both ankle many times. You could hear the poping and snaps, but was never really considered bad until I pushed. This is how the ankles look at the end a normal day when I take it easy on em.

I went in on March 4th at 0600, on the table at 0800 and had no less than 3 Drs on me.

Went in through 2 points on the top orthoscopically removed the floaters and pieces between the ankle/tibia and drilled holes in the ends to allow the body to rebuild the cartilage naturally.

Incision and along the outside right to reattach 3 tendons ripped off the ankle that had pulled chunks with them. My ripped tendons were woven cadaver tendons then reattached by pulling them though a hole and attaching with a SS screw.

All this takes 6 weeks to "set" so there can be no body weight placed on the ankle, hense the "scooter" They will give you crutches, right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I got home at 1800 that evening after getting all the meds I could there. That night I really wondered if it was worth it, I think getting it ampt. would have hurt less.

Keeping it up helps a lot and after a week have really backed of the Narcs pretty good, well until last night when they wife actually ran into the ft when I was still on the scooter. Just took on today and keeping it up and sleeping works good.

Boy have I been hitting the movies all of late. Not much reading posting until now after the first week, couldn't relax or get clear headed enough.

Tuesday got the splint and dressing changed and they put me on antibiotics as the swelling is still up there some. Scooter is working great, came close to falling once so far. Well I did but the bed and dresser kept me tangled vs falling.

I am told I will get back around 90% use when fully rehabed.

A few pics in order, back in on Tuesday at 1600.

KensAuto:
Man, as bad as that looks, they still look better than before the surgery, or at least less swollen.
Dang that's gotta hurt.

Bigdave_185:
Oh boy.  That looks like a hard way to go.   A coworker tried really hard to get his dr to cut his ankle off.  The long list of things that go bad with that type of removal was extremely shocking.  One that stuck out the most is that you have to keep getting the bone shaved down after it is cut off because it continues to grow

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Flyin6:
I'm still sayin YE-Ouch!

TexasRedNeck:
I wish I had the pictures of my dads ankle fusion.  Three ti screws and the bottom of the fibula cut and ground up into a paste used to fuse the ankle bones.  Xrays were freaky.

Speedy recovery to you JR!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version