Hello Guest

Author Topic: Getting your kids to clean their bedrooms!  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Getting your kids to clean their bedrooms!
« on: April 23, 2016, 09:31:58 AM »
Sorry,

What was I thinking

This can't be done

Has never been done

Forget I even mentioned it

CM
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Getting your kids to clean their bedrooms!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 10:09:21 AM »
Promise them a ride in Square D..........the two events will come together at the same time!

(Mike runs in a serpentine fashion across the shop dodging flying wrenches and hammers putting further separation between him and the original poster)  ;D
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 02:48:43 AM »
Mine find the closet and corners to throw things into. Drives me nuts. Wife not much better, daughter is great,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

What worked today was a they got to go kayaking when the house was done.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 07:36:42 AM »
How about getting them to take their own dishes off the table, rinse or scrape them off, and put them in the dishwasher...

Or better yet, just wash them by hand.

No?  Ok, how about just get them from the table to the sink?

Nope.

Take out the trash?

Nah.

"get dressed, we're leaving"

"I don't have anything to wear!"

"Check that big pile in the corner."

Don't even get me started.  Female children are filthy disgusting creatures.

Two apples, one for each eye.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 08:35:27 AM »
Wow. Makes me appreciate mine even more. My 10 and 12 do a pretty good job. I've even got them washing and drying dishes together occasionally. Rooms are ok. The little one even does a thorough clean out about once every 3 months or so. My biggest challenge is the emotional drama setting in as the oldest nears 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 08:51:30 AM »
My oldest girl just turned 14, there are days........ It's definitely a fine line being a Dad & still keeping them communicating with you their Dad.

& yeah they (girls) do not know what clean means
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 10:09:07 AM »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 11:13:13 AM »
I have a pretty strict set of chores and rules in our home.  For the older kids.

We all cook dinner, the kids clean up dinner, we all help with homework. We use a chore list and they check each thing off when checked by mom or dad.

There is no money reward for doing them, it is expected.  Just as I am expected to work so we have food on the table they are expected to do chores.  There is room for extra reward as there is no end to things mom and I can come up with to do. 

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 11:39:12 AM »
The wife and I have been having some trouble with our eight year old telling small insignificant lies. 
Like what did you have for a snack?  A banana. No you didn't I tossed them out yesterday because they were bad. 

That type of thing so we developed a points system for us to be able to provide positive reinforcement instead of me losing my crap when I get lied to.  I'll post up the excel sheet when it's done.   Kids fought the chores hard for a few months but now they know what Saturday is, and Friday if they have sports activities Saturday and if not done they don't play

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 01:34:00 PM »
My oldest girl just turned 14, there are days........ It's definitely a fine line being a Dad & still keeping them communicating with you their Dad.

& yeah they (girls) do not know what clean means

Mine is 13 and thinks she is 20 something and GOD (forgive me) there are days,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Unfortunately, we have a lying issue with all 3. Not sure where they got it from and they don't see it at all.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 06:42:07 PM »

I can sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Identify with this!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 06:58:32 PM »
On the toilet seat issue. At my house it is a non issue, leave it as you use it or close the lid.

They have no more right to have the seat down than we do to leave it up.

I even heard some lady on the radio complain about it the other day, really?

If someone needs it that bad, buy an automatic seat or don't complain.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 08:23:41 PM »
Just as I am expected to work so we have food on the table they are expected to do chores.

It's not the boys we've had trouble with.  It's the girls, and they are the only ones left in the house.

They're completely helpless when it comes to cleaning anything.  They act as if we're flaying off their skin, absolute torture.

"Sanitary pads" are not sanitary after they have been used, and they don't belong on the floor or left anywhere they can be seen when you walk past the bathroom.

Enough said about that.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 08:23:50 PM »
I got really tired of the constant piss smell in the boys bathroom.  I bought a new toilet seat and told him that men stand up outside to pee.  We sit when inside.  In the new home of our future there will be a urinal in the corner of the garage

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 03:37:59 PM »
I got really tired of the constant piss smell in the boys bathroom.  I bought a new toilet seat and told him that men stand up outside to pee.  We sit when inside.  In the new home of our future there will be a urinal in the corner of the garage

Seems they need more range time, or you need to "afix" a sighting apparatus to the offending members.......try cheerios in the toilet!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 06:24:58 PM »
Oh no. I gave up on flushing good cereal down the drain it's not worth it.

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 07:17:29 PM »
Every day, at least 1 whole bowl of cereal gets wasted.

They can't take just what they're going to eat, the bowl must be full to overflowing... rice krispies sticking to the table and all.

Sitting next to it, half a glass of unfinished milk.  And it can't be just regular milk, it has to be $4.00 per half gallon uber-vegan-organic-whatever milk.  From cows that cannot cast a shadow, or something like that.

Across the table from that, is the bag of microwave popcorn, uneaten besides for maybe a hand full.  They always say, "I was going to eat it later".

Later never comes.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 10:19:15 PM »
Just as I am expected to work so we have food on the table they are expected to do chores.

It's not the boys we've had trouble with.  It's the girls, and they are the only ones left in the house.

They're completely helpless when it comes to cleaning anything.  They act as if we're flaying off their skin, absolute torture.

"Sanitary pads" are not sanitary after they have been used, and they don't belong on the floor or left anywhere they can be seen when you walk past the bathroom.

Enough said about that.

I hear they are accepting women in the military nowadays....I bet they won't leave that stuff on the floor there...

I actually want one.  Went to a guys house the other day for a get together and in his pool house bath, he had the old school embeded in the floor urinal in addition to a regular toilet.....awesome.  Regardless of aim, when you are young and still shoot a good solid stream, there is splash that gets on the walls and floor even if they are hitting nothing but water.  Long term its just better to sit inside.  At the weekend place I can pee off the porch....

Every day, at least 1 whole bowl of cereal gets wasted.

They can't take just what they're going to eat, the bowl must be full to overflowing... rice krispies sticking to the table and all.

Sitting next to it, half a glass of unfinished milk.  And it can't be just regular milk, it has to be $4.00 per half gallon uber-vegan-organic-whatever milk.  From cows that cannot cast a shadow, or something like that.

Across the table from that, is the bag of microwave popcorn, uneaten besides for maybe a hand full.  They always say, "I was going to eat it later".

Later never comes.

Oh man, a pet peeve for sure.  Wife drives me crazy.  Leftovers get shoved to the back of the fridge and then thrown out after a few days.  I end up living on leftovers because no one else will eat them.  She also buys that fizzy water crap in cans or bottle and I end up throwing 5 half drank cans/bottles out of her car once a week.

My girls don't waste a lot, but the high dollar milk is on their list of wasted things....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 12:17:29 AM »
I have no ides what is in our freezer. Oh sure I can see what is right in front, but there are so many little bags of something that get shoved back I have given up.

Then the leftovers in the fridge, 1/2 cup of this and that not worth even saving and much gets green before eaten. Then she saves every plastic bag she gets!! I throw away 20 or so every week she stuff in every nook and cranny in the fridge and the pantry.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal