FOOD CORNER > Cooking equipment

cast iron electrolysis bath

(1/13) > >>

Nate:
so wen I was at the dump the other day getting rid of all the crap that has accumulated at this house from all of the previous tenants (land lord reimbursed cost of dump $116) I saw a guy fixin to throw some cast iron pans away.  I gave him a holler and after a quick conversation he gave them to me. 

as I was looking these things over to see if they were actually good or not, I realized that he just gave me 2 10" pans and one small little newer lodge 4" one.  I told the man thank you and took them home.

here is a pic of one of the 10" ones that is getting done up for my step daughter.

Nate:
as I started looking at these, I decided to do up this here thread and show folks just how clean (and easy it is) you can get a piece of cast iron like this clean with a little electrolysis bath.

so I assembled the following items:

1. cast iron pan

2. plastic container large enough to submerge entire piece

3. a nice thin piece of steel

4. a box of washing powder (sodium carbonate)  DO NOT USE SODIUM BICARBONATE (baking soda)!!!!!  you can get this at walmart in the laundry section or order it on line.   I believe you can actually make your own by "baking" baking soda.

5. a "dumb" battery charger.  you can not use one of those new fandangled computer controlled ones, because in order for those to work the charger has to sense / read a return voltage before it will turn on.  where as the "dumb ones" will just turn on when told to.

6. water to fill container with

7. a wood dowel to hang the piece from

8. a zip tie

9. some clamps (to hold the steel piece in place, because having to pieces of metal touch while electrified would not be a good thing.)

I had to return that charger because it was one of those smart ones and got me a dumb one from oriley's

Nate:
that container is 13 gallons and I think I filled it up to about 3/4 full and mixed in probably 3/4 - 1 Cup of washing powder

I forgot to take some pics at this point, but will be doing the other 2 pieces and I will get pics then to add to here.

I let this sit and cook for about 8 hours yesterday, and here is how it came out.

Nate:
I heated up the oven and gave it a good rubdown with some Crisco and gave it its first seasoning.

Nate:
as I was compiling this here thread, I ran it thru the oven again for its second seasoning.  I will probably do this a total of 4-5 times to ensure that it gets a good seasoning and will be ready to go for another 100 years.

here is a quick search on this process: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cast+iron+electrolysis

and I actually watched this guys video to get a general idea of what to do.  I will continue to read and learn about this process so that I can provide accurate information if and wen asked later on down the road.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version