Hello Guest

Author Topic: I AM NOT A GUN FREE ZONE  (Read 5940 times)

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
I AM NOT A GUN FREE ZONE
« on: June 12, 2016, 02:57:42 PM »
Let's see em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: I AM NOT A GUN FREE ZONE
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 07:58:36 PM »

Goes right in the front jeans pocket, no holster required.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 08:23:45 PM »
Isn't safety on the trigger on the lc9's? My dumb luck I'd shoot myself with no holster......
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 05:15:59 PM »

G30SF, Comp Tac holster.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 10:35:41 PM »
Dumb me almost asked if you were a lefty. lol
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 07:15:34 AM »
Rofl. Maybe I'm ambidextrous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 09:59:19 PM »
Well. I finally joined the Glock masses with my new CC. I am however having a hard time finding the ambi thumb safety.

Now I just have to wait for my ammo to arrive so I can start practicing.

One question though. The guy at the shop showed me some copper looking lapping type compound and said I shouldn't clean it off until I have run at least 500 rounds through it. Break in he said. Was he just yanking a newbie's leg?

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 10:04:18 PM »
What model? Btw 500 rounds about right for your first time shooting it.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 10:22:21 PM »
Congrats on the new Glock.  The first digit of your hand is the safety. 

They arent that picky.  Feed it often and run it.  They are the AK of the pistol world.  The always go bang, even dirty.  They require very very little lube.  People often overlube the wrong areas and fail to lube others.

BTW if you want to keep using that copper grease, stop by the auto parts store and get some permatex copper anti sieze.

check the manual for the 6 areas to lube lightly

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 08:08:20 AM »
Thanks... Its a Glock 30 45 acp.

He did actually show me the slide points to lube. I will also hit the auto parts store. nice tip!
Mike

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 08:56:30 AM »
Hold on

Wait a minute...

Are you supposed to clean a Glock?

Never knew that! :o
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 09:14:01 AM »
Hold on

Wait a minute...

Don, I must admit I didn't know about the "special" places for lube...... Damn people reading manuals you!!!! ;D

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 12:26:51 AM »
true story.  for years I trained with a ranger 1:1 2 days a week every week for 2 years and only used my training weapon. my Glock 17.

I decided that I would stop cleaning it.  I ran 1700+ rounds through it without cleaning or lubing it. (not good ammo, Wolf steel cased crap)  It never so much as once stove piped, or FTF and any other malfunction.  When I finally broke it down I pulled the extractor and used a small flat blade screwdriver to pry chunks of carbon out of the weapon.  Current round count is just under 20,000 rounds with only a trigger spring failure.

That sealed the deal for me.  I'm officially a glock fan boy.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:27:57 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 11:37:13 AM »
Question for you experts.  :D

I am debating between a .308 and 300Blk. I like Don's Sig 716 but also looking at Sig M400 in 300 Blk. I am having a hard time bellying up to the bar $1900.00 or more for the Sig 716 and I could get the Sig M400 for around $1k.

I don't feel the need to reach out a long ways. I have 30.06 for that... (insert eye rolls here! LOL   :o :o)

I have a Ruger Mini14 for 223.

I had read all kinds of articles on the interweb that range from 300Blk sucks to it the best thing since sliced bread.

Ammo prices between 308 and 300 seem similar and I will most likely reload for either.

Watcha think? Thanks for input as always.
Mike

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 12:01:35 PM »

I am debating between a .308 and 300Blk. I like Don's Sig 716 but also looking at Sig M400 in 300 Blk. I am having a hard time bellying up to the bar $1900.00 or more for the Sig 716 and I could get the Sig M400 for around $1k.

I don't feel the need to reach out a long ways. I have 30.06 for that... (insert eye rolls here! LOL   :o :o)

I had read all kinds of articles on the interweb that range from 300Blk sucks to it the best thing since sliced bread.

Ammo prices between 308 and 300 seem similar and I will most likely reload for either.

What do you have planned as a use for the 308/300BLK?

30.06 is awesome, no eye rolling.

I know you said you'd MOST likely reload, but in the off chance you can't / don't want to reload how's the ammo availability for 300 BLK vs 308?

What made you decide on the Sig rifles?

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 12:02:39 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 12:08:26 PM »
Hold on

Wait a minute...

I think that's what happens after you fall out of a canoe with you Glock. If that's right then I cleaned mine about 2K rounds ago.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 01:47:40 PM »

My uneducated opinion, worth every penny you're paying for it.

308 is a nato round and will always be available and plentiful, for what? 50+ years?  You can load subsonic 308 easy. 220+ grain projectiles and a modest powder loads.  A semi with full power 7.62/308 is a very formidable weapons system with flexibility.

30.06 is a fine round. More powder capacity than the 308.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 02:20:52 PM »
I would also upgrade from the mini 14 (I did years ago so been there done that). Mainly because every Joe dick & Harry has an ar, mags & the ammo 5.56 / .223 availability.

I also personally like .308's & own a 30.06 bolt gun as well. .308 in semi auto & I'm not a long range guy by any means I just like the added punch of the .308 for going thru a solid door & then couple bad guys coming for me.  ;)

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »

What do you have planned as a use for the 308/300BLK?

30.06 is awesome, no eye rolling.

I know you said you'd MOST likely reload, but in the off chance you can't / don't want to reload how's the ammo availability for 300 BLK vs 308?

What made you decide on the Sig rifles?

Well good questions. Use= Hedge against Hillery, Home Defense, training with modern style rifle. (Dropped 60#'s over the last year and need to get butt moving with something I enjoy rather than just a workaholic and soccer dad.) I'm one of those that have "been around" guns my entire life via hunting, target shooting, etc... but never have actual trained towards any proficiency.

308 would be the preferred choice for availability for sure. If you have to scour for ammo 300Blk would not be the best. I have also considered selling the 223 Mini14 and putting that money towards a modern 223. (another vote for an upgrade)

Sig's seem to always come recommended for quality and resell. (Don seems to like his.) In 223 I also looked at Wyndham, Daniel Defense, Anderson, and well... I'm in the birth place of DPMS so they are plentiful. I do have the M&P 15-22 so might want to look at 223 version to match.

See ... rambling... circuitous route of making up my mind... not easy.  :o
Mike

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 02:41:33 PM »
Do your research on whatever model sig you choose. The American plant (at least early on put out some crap FYI). Congrats on the 60# & learning new stuff is always a good investment.

I bought my first ar's but started assembling them years ago & haven't looked back, I enjoy the builds.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
I AM NOT A GUN FREE ZONE
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 02:50:53 PM »
If you don't go the 308 route I would consider looking into a BCM lower (especially their cosmetic blem units if you can find one). Then you can add whichever upper you'd like when you decide exactly what you want. That's usually less expensive than buying something then changing around a lot of stuff you don't like about it later.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 02:51:37 PM by longball »

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 04:39:39 PM »
Seeing as this thread seems to be a good place to ask a question what do you guys think of the mini-30? I don't have one (or mini-14) but always wanted one. But I'm thinking I maybe should start with an AR platform. I have no long guns other than a 870 (home defense appropriately set up for tight quarters) and a 1022 (plinking) but I need to have a real battery but want to be smart about it. Thanks!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 04:42:12 PM »
AR would be a good choice to start. Capable, lightweight, interchangeable , ammo readily available

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 05:22:03 PM »
Seeing as this thread seems to be a good place to ask a question what do you guys think of the mini-30? I don't have one (or mini-14) but always wanted one. But I'm thinking I maybe should start with an AR platform. I have no long guns other than a 870 (home defense appropriately set up for tight quarters) and a 1022 (plinking) but I need to have a real battery but want to be smart about it. Thanks!

Ar, if you don't have the ruger then why invest in a gun that's not an ar?

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 05:29:42 PM »
Well good questions. Use= Hedge against Hillery, Home Defense, training with modern style rifle. (Dropped 60#'s over the last year and need to get butt moving with something I enjoy rather than just a workaholic and soccer dad.) I'm one of those that have "been around" guns my entire life via hunting, target shooting, etc... but never have actual trained towards any proficiency.

308 would be the preferred choice for availability for sure. If you have to scour for ammo 300Blk would not be the best. I have also considered selling the 223 Mini14 and putting that money towards a modern 223. (another vote for an upgrade)

Sig's seem to always come recommended for quality and resell. (Don seems to like his.) In 223 I also looked at Wyndham, Daniel Defense, Anderson, and well... I'm in the birth place of DPMS so they are plentiful. I do have the M&P 15-22 so might want to look at 223 version to match.

If you can do a SBR w/suppressor where you live then 300 BLK is towards the top of the list.

If not, then stick with a 308, you'll be able to find more 308 selection than 300 BLK in most places.

Nothing wrong with DPMS. I know DPMS makes nice 308s, so you can realistically get a DPMS AR and an LR, you know since you live in their neck of the woods...

And somewhere someone with a BCM, DD, Sig, POF, Armalite, Colt or another more expensive rifle just shuddered and is now getting ready to lay an angry response down cause I said there's nothing wrong with DPMS.  :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:31:33 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2016, 05:47:18 PM »
No haters here Bobby. DPMS is the preferred AR10 pattern and as long as it is maintained it will go bang.  Accuracy=$. Extreme accuracy=$$$$$

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 06:36:03 PM »
No hate here, I actually think some of their guns (ones with decent features) aren't bad at all....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 10:41:55 PM »
Haters... ;)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 10:55:34 PM »
You buy that skid loader yet? ;D

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 11:00:20 PM »
Or get square d moving under its own power?

(Shawn I think we are both getting chopped)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2016, 11:28:59 PM »

Copt that! ;)

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2016, 09:40:32 AM »

If you can do a SBR w/suppressor where you live then 300 BLK is towards the top of the list.

If not, then stick with a 308, you'll be able to find more 308 selection than 300 BLK in most places.

Nothing wrong with DPMS. I know DPMS makes nice 308s, so you can realistically get a DPMS AR and an LR, you know since you live in their neck of the woods...

And somewhere someone with a BCM, DD, Sig, POF, Armalite, Colt or another more expensive rifle just shuddered and is now getting ready to lay an angry response down cause I said there's nothing wrong with DPMS.  :)

I live in MN so we can now do suppressors and I would imagine SBR. That is definitely of interest and I have been watching Higher Caliber SBR build / idea until he decided he needed a Fridge instead.  8) Also noted that he decided to go with 223 instead of 300 BLK. Also I don't know that I want to spend that much money on the rifle/can/stamp/permit/... and wait for months. But it would be fun to have for sure!

I will probably keep an eye out for a good deal on a 308 and give that a shot.

Thanks for all of the feedback! I appreciate it.
Mike

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2016, 12:26:44 PM »
You buy that skid loader yet? ;D
If I can buy, next its going to be an Excavator. After looking at worn out junk for a couple years now, and having lived through the process with Sarge, I want something very low time, only a couple years old and with a warranty out five plus years from date of purchase

If I get rich, then a Track Skid Loader with a Fecon de-forester will be high on my acquisition priority list

If my plans work out, my farm will be growing from 91 to 250 acres, then to 316, then to 396 acres. Probably 90 % of that is all wooded, old growth and 20 year old overgrown fields. I'd need something aggressive to get through all that mess

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 12:27:33 PM »

Nah, I'm feeling grace today

You two are good!

Copt that! ;)

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2016, 12:36:20 PM »

I live in MN so we can now do suppressors and I would imagine SBR. That is definitely of interest and I have been watching Higher Caliber SBR build / idea until he decided he needed a Fridge instead.  8) Also noted that he decided to go with 223 instead of 300 BLK. Also I don't know that I want to spend that much money on the rifle/can/stamp/permit/... and wait for months. But it would be fun to have for sure!

I will probably keep an eye out for a good deal on a 308 and give that a shot.

Thanks for all of the feedback! I appreciate it.

I'd look into the suppressed SBR if you could. Supposedly, and I'm not sure if it's true, but submitting as a NFA trust, the wait time is about 3-4 months as opposed to 12-14 for an individual. Granted that's just what I was told when I was bored and wandering around a gun shop up in my area that sells suppressors and SBRs.

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
I AM NOT A GUN FREE ZONE
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2016, 11:40:09 PM »

Shield 9mm IWB

XDm 9mm

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 11:41:19 PM by husker77c »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal