Hello Guest

Author Topic: Cooler that doesn't break the bank  (Read 11556 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cooler that doesn't break the bank
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2017, 04:55:21 PM »
Another reason I went a little smaller. Looking for a tray right now.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2017, 04:11:40 PM »
So we have a Yeti 65 tundra for food & have a Yellowstone / Glacier camping trip planned for June. I needed to pickup a less expensive "drink cooler". After checking this thread and part of me wanting an old school looking metal cooler (probably my steel background speaking to me) I stumbled across this deal for just over $50 out the door. Normally $80 and had decent reviews for what I wanted. Also made in the USA.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-54-qt-Steel-Belted-Cooler/4528997

Ok, quick update on this cooler. Forgot to buy & install
a rubber seal (will do in future). We just spent a week between Yellowstone & Glacier. I used our Yeti for grocery goods etc & most everything was frozen prior to loading up in the Yeti. I pre cooled it day before with gallon jug of ice. Then inserted two fresh jugs day we left it lasted whole week with ice left over in both jugs.

The Coleman ran drink duty normally 1/2 to 3/4 full with one jug of ice. That jug lasted 6 days with the one time addition of the smallest $8 bag of ice you could imagine added in on day 3 or 4 just to fill up some dead space. I was very pleased with the performance for the price. Oh & yeah Yellowstone & Glacier are a must see, really cool kids loved the trip. Dad & Mom are beat.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2017, 04:13:24 PM »
So we have a Yeti 65 tundra for food & have a Yellowstone / Glacier camping trip planned for June. I needed to pickup a less expensive "drink cooler". After checking this thread and part of me wanting an old school looking metal cooler (probably my steel background speaking to me) I stumbled across this deal for just over $50 out the door. Normally $80 and had decent reviews for what I wanted. Also made in the USA.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-54-qt-Steel-Belted-Cooler/4528997

Ok, quick update on this cooler. Forgot to buy & install
a rubber seal (will do in future). We just spent a week between Yellowstone & Glacier. I used our Yeti for grocery goods etc & most everything was frozen prior to loading up in the Yeti. I pre cooled it day before with gallon jug of ice. Then inserted two fresh jugs day we left it lasted whole week with ice left over in both jugs.

The Coleman ran drink duty normally 1/2 to 3/4 full with one jug of ice. That jug lasted 6 days with the one time addition of the smallest $8 bag of ice you could imagine added in on day 3 or 4 just to fill up some dead space. I was very pleased with the performance for the price. Oh & yeah Yellowstone & Glacier are a must see, really cool kids loved the trip. Dad & Mom are beat.....

Great feedback and glad you enjoyed the trip!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2017, 04:22:00 PM »
Sounds like a great trip. Did you have to make reservations or just went?

My igloo just came in. Also just got a pair of Merrell Moabs mids. Got 2 days of scout camp for the youngest (break-in) and the next week up in Oregon.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2017, 04:34:13 PM »
I reserved everything back in early Jan but would not have had to have done that. Our camp site at Yellowstone was great though & think that was because we reserved so early. Overlooked meadow where grizzly, elk & bison roam. Saw last two, bison up close and little too close for comfort but he decided I wasn't a threat I guess & laid down for a nap as I was breaking down tent.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2017, 04:59:55 PM »
Sweet

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2017, 07:31:36 PM »
Pics or it never happened.... :laugh:

I really want to do a Glacier and Yellowstone trip. Have never been.

For coolers good wrote up. I agree cooling them makes a difference. Can't remember if I said this but I read a decent review of Ozark Trail's new rotomolded "extreme" cooler too. But my walmart never has them.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2017, 08:38:08 PM »
Sounds like a great trip. Did you have to make reservations or just went?

My igloo just came in. Also just got a pair of Merrell Moabs mids. Got 2 days of scout camp for the youngest (break-in) and the next week up in Oregon.

where in Oregon?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2017, 10:19:07 PM »
Pics or it never happened.... :laugh:

I really want to do a Glacier and Yellowstone trip. Have never been.

For coolers good wrote up. I agree cooling them makes a difference. Can't remember if I said this but I read a decent review of Ozark Trail's new rotomolded "extreme" cooler too. But my walmart never has them.

OK, so the first one is in our camp at Yellowstone on way to campsite. My 13 yr old snapped this literally 5' outside my truck window. We had three elk about a 100 yards from us the first morning. You know, groggy eyed stepping out of a tent and look to the east and see a big brown thing about 100 yards out in a place grizzlies are known to graze only to figure out it's one of three elk......

This is the second morning and when we stepped out of tent he was 2 camps north of us. As I'm on my way to the bathrooms with the girls I think "geez I hope he doesn't come our way". Sure enough on way back from brushing my teeth I see him wader right past my tent. He eventually laid down with his back to me all of 15 yards away with out a concern for me. Lake Yellowstone in the background.

This last pic was our final day at glacier st Mary's east side entrance. He was about 200 yards out which is just about how far I like to see them at.

So all in all it was a great trip. Yeah we had some rain and it was a bit chilly at 8600' at night in Yellowstone with 38 low temps. However, since we have AT&T and they suck out west here it kept everyone off electronics. My three girls have not bonded like this in several years and it was really nice to see they are still capable of such things. Most everyone was nice other than a couple rude foreigners in Yellowstone who have no idea of personal space and that one guy from TX who thought the heated pool was for him and his daughter only. I showed up and he left rather quickly right back to his camp two sites down from us....... :knucklehead:

I feel very blessed to have had a safe trip and cross one off the list. Too much to see in one trip and will plan another here in the next year or two

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2017, 10:37:32 PM »
I have a orca cooler. Sunday morning I got a bunch of stuff out of the freezer. Couple chickens, some steaks, few pounds of hamburger And some other stuff. 10 lbs of dry ice. Everything was frozen solid tonight (thursday) except the steaks were a little soft. I did not pre chill it but it wasn't hot either. Started at room temperature. It rode in the hot camper all week.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2017, 10:50:46 PM »
Great pics stlaser. I remember having to tell mt oldest not to chase the elk at the Grand Canyon....she said "Dad the other kids are!"....I said "I know.....let's watch and see what happens." :rolleyes: (nothing did but they chased the elk off).

My wife's aunt was like that with a bison at Yellowstone years ago....got a horn stuck in her belly for getting to close. Just cause animals don't move fast all the time doesn't mean they can't move fast. She survived and told the story a lot. I had to bite my tongue many times from asking her if she was aiming for a Darwin Award.

Ditto the lack of electronics. Some times the absolute best part of a family trip like that! Good for you!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2017, 11:08:58 PM »
Stlaser, was that campground in Yellowstone part of lake lodge? Or fishing bridge?

Wife and I did Yellowstone first year we were together in a tent, was a great time. Then again in '14 during our move from GA to AZ. Was going to go up again and see the family in august and watch the solar eclipse, but it's not looking like I'll have the '74 done.

Thanks for the report on the coolers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2017, 11:38:33 PM »
Yellowstone is def on the list to do. Driving is a must to see I suppose.

Here is what we woke up to at the GC a few years back. Youngest and I slept out and there he was. I kept a tree between us knowing their rep.

Icing to cooler down now for a day camp tomorrow. I know it is overkill but a good test with 100+ days ahead.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2017, 09:51:56 AM »
Stlaser, was that campground in Yellowstone part of lake lodge? Or fishing bridge?

Wife and I did Yellowstone first year we were together in a tent, was a great time. Then again in '14 during our move from GA to AZ. Was going to go up again and see the family in august and watch the solar eclipse, but it's not looking like I'll have the '74 done.

Thanks for the report on the coolers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bridge Bay camp I think is the name, near fishing bridge, lodge & hotel. One of the half dozen camps that take reservations.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2017, 11:57:20 AM »
That sounds like an awesome trip Shawn, and great pics to boot.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2017, 12:16:57 PM »
Yellowstone is def on the list to do. Driving is a must to see I suppose.

Here is what we woke up to at the GC a few years back. Youngest and I slept out and there he was. I kept a tree between us knowing their rep.

Icing to cooler down now for a day camp tomorrow. I know it is overkill but a good test with 100+ days ahead.

That's either a deceptive angle on that Bull's antlers or he's got to have the worst neck pain in the morning holding up an imbalanced rack like that!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2017, 03:22:03 PM »
I think he's just a liberal bull (inbreeding)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »
Of course having posted that about the Ozark Trail models they have them in Stock now.... $96 for 26 qt, $147 for 52 quart and $196 for 73 qt. FWIW.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2017, 12:30:20 AM »
I think he's just a liberal bull (inbreeding)

Well, his antlers were messed up a little. I kept a tree between us just in case and had a 27 in my hand if needed.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2017, 11:52:23 PM »
After 1196 miles and 8 days I am back (late Sat) Used prime and got the tray for it just before we left, kept the dogs out of the ice.

Cooler did OK, not stellar but good. With pre cooling and adding ice on weds all stayed cold. I think a block would have been better.

So 8 days, 1 refill and cold on the return. That was with 105* on the way up an mid 90s on the way back. Oh, and Sunday it still had ice in it.

Oh, and unlike a regular cooler this has rubber feet so you have to lift to move it around. It also drains FAST with a 1.75 drain that will take ice with it.Would I get another, yes.

Would I pay $250 for it no, but well worth the $100. I also wish I had got the tan cooler, this shows all the dirt!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:53:07 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2017, 01:08:07 AM »
Good point JR, I have a tan Yeti and up until I read your post thought a white one would have been much nicer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal