VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Everything Trailer, Camper, or RV related

Adding a shelf to the Shell.

(1/2) > >>

JR:
Never seem to have enough room in the shell as I carry alot like Don so real "available" packing space is limited. Now I will agree I do over do it some, but I would rather have than not.

I do have a bed slider which helps some, but you must keep it all from sliding around and packing "up" so it doesn't slide around.

So with a short bed (6.5ft) I figured about 1/2 of that could be a shelf. The 1st pic here is the inside with all the normal stuff.

JR:
So I had a couple pieces of uni-strut I cut to fit across the rear 2 shell clamp bolts. I wrapped the ends in duck tape and just used the stock bolts.

JR:
Then I added some 7/16 OSB on top, using wire ties to hold it down. Then added a 1x1.5 strip to the rear for a lip using screws to hold it on. There are also strips of OSB on the edges and a piece between the boards to keep the flex down.

JR:
I did want some tie downs so I added eye bolts in the 4 corners (only thing I bought for this). That was about it and it works well.

The original idea was to make it a slider too, but I didn't have the time before my trip. I did buy 36in 250lb drawer slides for it, so that is next.

Bigdave_185:
Looks good.  How much space does the slider take from your bed? Those are pretty thick aren't they

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version