Hello Guest

Author Topic: Wheel bearing grease and brakes  (Read 8109 times)

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
Wheel bearing grease and brakes
« on: August 05, 2016, 10:50:49 PM »
Our new travel trailer just finished an 11,000 mile trip, and during the last part of the trip when I did use the brakes they were not working as they should. It was time to adjust the brakes and inspect and repack the wheel bearings. Since the trailer didn't come with self adjusting brakes, and since the bearing grease didn't stay just on the bearings, it is a good time to upgrade the brakes to self adjusting type. I won't need to jack the wheels off the ground to adjust the brakes any more hopefully. E-trailer carries everything I needed to do the change. Loaded backing plates, new bearings, grease seals, and included free shipping. No need to clean up all the parts, magnets, and replace the shoes. Just take off the 5 nuts and replace the whole set up. Thought about changing to disk brakes but am not up for that right now.

Not sure why the bearing grease was every where. Could be the grease Lippert uses is very thin, or the seals didn't hold up, or because everything has China stamped on it, or because they (or the factory delivery driver) used the e-z lube zerk and filled the hubs way past full. The grease even squeezed out between the front dust cap and the drum so I am thinking it was from getting warm and pushing the thin grease past the dust cap and the seals as there was no room left for expansion in the hub. At any rate it is a real mess. Lots of people having the same problem, if you have a newer trailer you might want to check the brakes and bearings before the grease takes over.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel bearing grease and brakes
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 11:23:40 PM »
Lippert was top 5 customer for the shop I used to GM, they buy everything for rock bottom pricing. As such, my guess is grease was used chainsaw oil..... ::)
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 05:33:22 AM »
I was hoping for discs, but the upgrade is still nice.

11k, where?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 09:01:43 AM »
Bob, you're in non compliance!

You know the rules

Pics or it didn't happen!

Might have to fire you, then reinstate you again, like I do to Shawn about once a month...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 09:36:55 AM »
I'm going a whole month now between offenses? Better step it up I'm slacking or you're slacking......

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
I'm going a whole month now between offenses?

Only a month, thought it was more.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 03:22:49 PM »
I was hoping for discs, but the upgrade is still nice.

11k, where?

JR, we did a 3 month trip back to the East Coast. Zig sagged up and down off I-40 going back, and after Niagara Falls and Mt Rushmore, did the same coming home on I-94 and I-90. Lots of battlefields, and  history type stuff. Did the Jack Daniels tour also. Had boiled peanuts in Georgia, fresh fish and chips in Gloucester MA, and lobster in Maine. New York City, West Point, Washington DC, Boston, Virginia Beach, James Town area, Gettysburg, Mt. Washington Cog Railway in New Hampshire , and maple syrup in Vermont. Oklahoma City Memorial as well as the World Trade Center were really nicely done. Even with our 37 ft. pull trailer and friends 5th wheel, we able to get RV spots right next to each other at every stop except two. Only did advance reservations a few times, mostly called ahead an evening or two before we would leave a place. No itinerary at all, just went from place to place and ended up back home.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 03:27:51 PM »
Sounds like a great trip. I was hoping to do stuff like that retired, but just not working out yet.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 04:53:37 PM »
OK OK..I took a couple photos of the problem, please don't fire me

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 05:02:30 PM »
Cleaned up the magnet area on two drums and cleaned up the spindles on the left side of the trailer. Waiting on parts before taking off the other side.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 10:39:15 PM »
Glad you had a good time Bob. Sounds fun. I had heard the same about those brakes.  I was told never to use the grease fitting on the bearings to grease them. It tends to force grease out the back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 06:24:42 PM »
I need to attach the new brake magnet wires to the wires going through the axle and to the ones coming from the front of the trailer. I cut out the existing connectors and used butt connectors with heat shrink tube. The plan is to apply liquid tape to seal it up once the magnet wire is in place and heat is applied to the tube.(Added) The butt connectors had the sealer in them so the heat gun sealed and did its job on the heat shrink material. Thanks Tex, I am still back in the old school days.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 08:05:16 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 07:19:53 PM »
Bob check out the adhesive lined heat shrink tubing.  Shrinks and seals in one step.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 08:26:29 PM »
Thanks, I will check it out. Haven't worked on brake wiring in a long time.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 04:29:07 PM »
Thanks Tex, I went online to check this stuff out and the first place that came up was a photo of the same connectors I brought home from the parts store. Crimped the wires in place and grabbed the heat gun and like that they were ready for use.

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 04:31:46 PM »
Set the loaded backing plates on the studs, tightened up the 5 nuts and have self adjusting brakes on the left side of the trailer.

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 04:35:08 PM »
Now I have to find my old plastic wheel bearing packing tool, made in USA 30+ years ago, and get this side finished up.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 04:50:25 PM »
Now I have to find my old plastic wheel bearing packing tool, made in USA 30+ years ago, and get this side finished up.

Always wanted one of those but never bought one just used my paws..... ;)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 08:58:40 PM »
That has good reviews

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 09:07:06 PM »
My luck, I buy it and then forget where I put it......and wind up using the old fashioned way by hand....ROFL

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 09:11:05 PM »
My luck, I buy it and then forget where I put it......and wind up using the old fashioned way by hand....ROFL

Yup, I was doing some wood floors in my house couple weeks ago over course of two days. First day couldn't recall where my knee pads were. Second day, mid day with swollen knees it hit me where they were..... ::)

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 11:13:00 PM »
My luck, I buy it and then forget where I put it......and wind up using the old fashioned way and pay someone to get their hands dirty....ROFL

Fixed it for ya. :)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2016, 11:36:41 PM »
Low blow, even for an H lover....  ;-)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2016, 11:51:07 PM »
Low blow, even for an H lover....  ;-)

Secrets out Ken!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2016, 01:53:44 AM »
I have one of the funnel style packers but like that other one. Just $23 on fleabay.

Funny thing, I just use my hand most of the time too.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2016, 07:07:09 AM »
I've done this many times. First off don't use the ez lube. Its too easy to over fill and they you get what you got. Greasy brakes. Been there done that.  I repack mine once a year but I only put on 3,000 miles. Most everything I've seen said not to go over 8,000 to 10,000 miles. You don't need new bearings every time. Unless one went bad. In that case you need to replace the bearing race also.

I hand pack bearings. I guess I'm just old school. Use a good quality grease. I dont trust the dealer to do it anymore. When I got my 5th wheel they packed my bearings. I did my yearly and I'm supprised I never lost a wheel.  They were horrible.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2016, 09:29:58 AM »
Exactly what Jon said^^^.
The only time I would recommend pumping up a hub completely full of grease is on a boat trailer, to push out moisture.  Putting too much in a hub that also has brakes, will cause the bearings to run hotter.
...and don't tighten the bearings. I've seen this on brand new trailers. Doing that will cause them to heat up and turn the grease into oil in no time.   Snug is good, and a little loose is better than a little tight.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 09:37:10 AM by KensAuto »

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2016, 09:49:34 AM »
I always snug up till I feel resistance on the hub and then back off to the next cotter pin location.
Has worked for many miles on all of my trailers.
Like Ken said tight is bad.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2016, 08:34:25 PM »
Good information guys thanks for the input.
 I packed the bearings, set in the new seals, cleaned the inside of the drums up again and got the drums set in place. After adjusting the bearings up and installing the new pin to keep the nut in place I poked a small hole in the rubber insert of the dust cap. This should let any pressure out instead of pushing grease past the seal and back onto the brakes.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 02:44:23 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2016, 12:37:00 AM »
Just an FYI for anyone that doesn't know...on axles that have a grease fitting,  the passage way for the grease is usually drilled through the axle and emerges near the inside bearing.  It does not lube the outside bearing unless you pump the entire hub full, which then has to push the grease through the bearing.  The most popular types (the ones that I have seen) have a cap with a spring loaded washer that acts as a storage area for the lube. The spring forces the lube back in the hub as needed. .The problem is that the pressure of this spring,  and heat doing what it does to grease,  will push it past the China seals, which also don't hold up to heat very well.
Sidenote: Some axles also have a bleed hole drilled into the back of the spindle to relieve the moisture,  or extra grease when someone gets happy with the lube gun. It's a good idea to clean those out while it's apart.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2016, 12:09:03 PM »
The caps with the springs that compress when filled with grease are mostly used on boat trailers, up here any way. I have a set on the trailer that sees the lakes and sound. The trailer does not have brakes so the bearing buddies work ok, just messy. The spring pressure helps keep any water out of the bearings and hubs.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 02:42:20 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2016, 02:34:26 PM »
The axles used for RV and utility trailers have the grease fittings on the ends of them, easy-lube type. If you think you must use the grease fitting, be sure to jack the wheel off the ground and spin it while applying pressure to the grease gun. Very bad way to try to grease the bearings at best.

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2016, 02:51:27 PM »
I found my old bearing packer. Simple little plastic thing with 3 parts. Top and bottom cone and a threaded shaft with grease fitting on top and two holes near the bottom. Set the bearing between the two cones smaller end toward the top. Screw the upper cone down tight onto the bearing, attach the grease gun to the fitting and pump away. Once the grease fills the bearing basket holding all the rollers and the grease comes out the bottom of the bearing, remove the bearing and apply the leftover grease on the face of the rollers. The thicker the grease the harder it is to pump but is worth the extra effort. Still a messy job but the throw away gloves do keep the hands a bit cleaner.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 02:58:26 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2016, 05:03:18 PM »
I tore down the right side brakes today. I just thought I had a grease problem when I did the left side.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 07:30:22 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2016, 08:31:08 PM »
stocking up on grease, huh?  wow.  Id be checking the brakes on the truck next

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2016, 10:19:43 PM »
 I bought new rubber inserts for the dust caps and replaced the ones I had put holes in today. Too much water on the roads here in Western WA and I don't need water in the bearing area. It was a good idea, might work in Texas or Arizona but not sure about up here. Never had a grease problem before so I should be fine.

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2016, 08:57:15 PM »

Took care of checking the brakes on the truck, should pick up the new one Wed. afternoon. After all the new trailer doesn't match the color of the existing truck and the truck brakes did extra work with the trailer brakes greased up.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2016, 10:54:00 AM »

Took care of checking the brakes on the truck, should pick up the new one Wed. afternoon. After all the new trailer doesn't match the color of the existing truck and the truck brakes did extra work with the trailer brakes greased up.
Rear brakes?

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2016, 12:03:44 PM »
It will come with,  ;)  brakes on each wheel position with any luck. Not too many colors to choose from, so just to be different we chose a red color this time. The trailer has a couple red splashes on it so should be fine.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2016, 09:05:03 PM »
I'm partial to red. :thumb!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2016, 09:05:53 PM »
I'm partial to red. :thumb!

If I get to buy my boy toy Power Wagon, it's gonna be RED!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal