Hello Guest

Author Topic: Kydex holsters.  (Read 3570 times)

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
Kydex holsters.
« on: September 29, 2016, 11:51:05 PM »
So this is my new hobby/business.  I talked the wife into letting me invest a little money into a holster making business and these are some of what I've created.    I figured if I didn't sell one at the very least I could get holsters for every gun I have for pennies.  Not to mention mag carriers and all sorts of other cool stuff.   I got a table at a gun show about a month ago and basically showed off a few to see if it was a viable option to make some extra money.    The show went well enough that I got a green light to get some more material and pursue it further. 

Here's what I've done so far.

I started out making these belt slide type units.   They hug the body and conceal really well for an OWB type. 

At the show I realized I needed more of a standard IWB holster that everyone makes.  That's what I got asked for the most so I whipped these up.

Glock 19

I made some more for my Shield and XDm but they look the same as the Glock. 

Also made some adjustable retention IWB mag carriers.

I've got an order of coyote brown kydex coming in this weekend so I'll be fleshing out some other ideas I have. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Kydex holsters.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 08:59:31 AM »
Two things:
I run a Church Security "Activity," I'd be interested in one of those. Thing is, I use positive retention Kydex designs because if I get into a wrestling match with some over enthusiastic drunk (Yes they show up at church sometimes!) I need the gun to stay holstered

That being said, I need really good concealment. I wear T-shirt and an unbuttoned short sleeve shirt in the summer to conceal, and the winter a sports jacket (Because I'm a "pretty" man) ;-)

Secondly, Keith on this forum has his laser engraving business. One of those with some cool logo laser engraved on it would maybe be the ticket!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 10:08:17 AM »
I would be interested to see what your other ideas are.  I'm in the market for something for my G23 and a 9mm shield.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 10:58:17 AM »
I have a 23 also and a MP shield 40 that could use some love. Maybe even something for my XDS?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
Kydex holsters.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 11:12:46 AM »
G23 and G19 is the same physical size gun so holsters are interchangeable.  So since I have a G19 So the holster in the above post would fit a G23 also.  And it just so happens I have an XDs .45 and a 9mm shield that I have built holsters for already.   I didn't post on here to sell though.  That's kind of like fishing from the pier if you get me.   But what I will do is I can send holsters out to you guys free of charge and you test them out.  If you like them then we can work out a deal.   I'm thinking of selling a standard IWB rig for $55 so if you guys like them and want to keep them then we can figure out a fair price that's less than what I'm gonna charge.  I need feedback mostly right now and I'd be willing to heavily discount them for that. I need to know how they ride (to high, to low) if they have good retention or need more retention.  Comfortable etc. 

Here's a shield

And here's the XDs.  It's a .45 with a 3.3" barrel so I believe it should fit the smaller caliber guns as well. 

And Six.  By active retention you are meaning a hood like comes on a safariland holster? 

I'm going to be making some adjustable retention holsters this weekend as long as my coyote colored stock comes in.   Also trying out a different style of belt clip.   

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:14:06 AM by husker77c »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 01:07:30 PM »
Retention for me is a firm pull for removal. I don't want a hood or snap.

I carry the shield 40 most of the time and like the OWB as in your first post since I always wear loose clothing.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 01:08:06 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
Kydex holsters.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 02:54:57 PM »
I've started a new email for this.   Send me an email with your address and I'll get one made up this weekend and send it out. 
When you send the email send me what size belt you run.  I normally make them for a 1.5" belt.  Anything much bigger than that and the belt slide style becomes impractical.   The shield .40 is the same size as the 9mm I have so shouldn't be a problem.

steelcityconcealment@yahoo.com

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 02:58:39 PM by husker77c »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 03:10:32 PM »
Any plans for a colt 45 husker? I'm a Tan fan, so you peeked my interest.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 03:21:43 PM »
Have you thought about making them light compatible? I know you probably don't have EVERY light option, but not many places make them light capable, and if they do it's a few week wait. Just a thought as I sit on my couch staring at the computer.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
Kydex holsters.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 03:35:06 PM »
Any plans for a colt 45 husker? I'm a Tan fan, so you peeked my interest.
Colt 45 as in single action army?   Or as in 1911?

If it's the latter I did one up for my old kimber. 

This one still needed the edges polished and cleaned up. 

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:35:47 PM by husker77c »

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 03:48:03 PM »
Have you thought about making them light compatible? I know you probably don't have EVERY light option, but not many places make them light capable, and if they do it's a few week wait. Just a thought as I sit on my couch staring at the computer.

I do have plans for light bearing units.    The problems with those are.

1) as you said there are several different lights available.  But there are three main pistol lights. The streamlight TLR-1. The surefire X300 and the new surefire xc1.  So as funds allow I am going to pick those lights up to have them.   

2) the other issue I'm running into is you have to "block" off the gun so that after you mold you can still pull it out of the holster.   It's very complicated to block one off successfully and then repeat it every time I want to build a new holster.   The big holster guys buy or make molds of each gun they build holsters for so it's already blocked off and all they have to do is press it and finish it.  I'm looking into that and once I successfully get a blocked gun that looks good and functions well I am going to attempt to make my own mold of it.  That way it cuts manufacturing time from 2 hours down to 30 minutes or less.   I have several popular models of guns but if I get an order for a gun I don't have I'll have to order a blue gun or a mold for it.  Which means the first holster I make for that type of gun will make me no money and will require a 2-3 week turnaround time due to the molds usually are made to order by the few companies that sell them.   But that's how I'm planning on building up my options for customers.   But it also means if I get an order for a gun I want then I can go pick it up.........because it's for my business...........and it's a tax write off........... at least that's what I'm gonna tell my wife haha.

My coyote stock won't be here till
Monday so this weekend I'm planning on working on a light holster for my G19 and TLR-1.  I'll post up some pics of what I mean by blocking also.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 03:57:39 PM »

I do have plans for light bearing units.    The problems with those are.

1) as you said there are several different lights available.  But there are three main pistol lights. The streamlight TLR-1. The surefire X300 and the new surefire xc1.  So as funds allow I am going to pick those lights up to have them.   

2) the other issue I'm running into is you have to "block" off the gun so that after you mold you can still pull it out of the holster.   It's very complicated to block one off successfully and then repeat it every time I want to build a new holster.   The big holster guys buy or make molds of each gun they build holsters for so it's already blocked off and all they have to do is press it and finish it.  I'm looking into that and once I successfully get a blocked gun that looks good and functions well I am going to attempt to make my own mold of it.  That way it cuts manufacturing time from 2 hours down to 30 minutes or less.   I have several popular models of guns but if I get an order for a gun I don't have I'll have to order a blue gun or a mold for it.  Which means the first holster I make for that type of gun will make me no money and will require a 2-3 week turnaround time due to the molds usually are made to order by the few companies that sell them.   But that's how I'm planning on building up my options for customers.   But it also means if I get an order for a gun I want then I can go pick it up.........because it's for my business...........and it's a tax write off........... at least that's what I'm gonna tell my wife haha.

My coyote stock won't be here till
Monday so this weekend I'm planning on working on a light holster for my G19 and TLR-1.  I'll post up some pics of what I mean by blocking also.

Makes sense. Since the 19 and TRL1 (aren't they all basically dimensionally the same, with the exception of the laser equipped ones) is a common combo platter that people have, so once you make one for yourself and you're happy with it, shouldn't it be easy to replicate? Using your own set up as a template?

So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 04:57:58 PM »
Sorry, yeah for a 1911.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 05:01:38 PM »
 I like the owb for the 1911.I think I'll likr it much better than my IWB i use now. I'm going to send my info to your email.
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 09:40:11 AM »
Here's something I've been looking for to no avail- one for an XDM .45 with a Crimson Trace railmaster laser.  Right hand OTW for the weapon and a IW spare mag for left, with mag set-up with tip of rounds facing forward.

Crimson Trace site advertised one on their site but always "out of stock" and no back order  >:(
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 11:05:37 AM »
Here's something I've been looking for to no avail- one for an XDM .45 with a Crimson Trace railmaster laser.  Right hand OTW for the weapon and a IW spare mag for left, with mag set-up with tip of rounds facing forward.

Crimson Trace site advertised one on their site but always "out of stock" and no back order  >:(

Their in lies the problem. There is an astronomical amount of combinations.   And the less popular ones are nearly impossible to find.    That's the reason I started messing around with kydex several years ago.  I had an FNP-45 Tactical with an RMR red dot.  This was before all the current cool kids ran a red dot on a handgun so nobody made anything for that gun in that configuration.  Then you add an insight light i had on it and the only option was a bulky universal nylon rig.   

Is your XDm the 5.25 barrel?

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 11:29:56 AM »
It's the 4.5" Model
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal