VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Tires, Wheels, and Suspension

Tire repair

<< < (2/4) > >>

Nate:
if it makes you feel better, we used plugs on our big trucks in Iraq and Afghanistan, our tire psi is 100 for the bigger trucks, and our trucks weigh almost 3 times what your does.

moto123:
That does make me feel better actually.  I would have assumed at 100 PSI it would just push the plug back out the hole.  But if it works at 100, I am much less nervous about it holding at 60 PSI.  Thanks!

stlaser:
If it's a concern next time you rotate them have it patched. Being that it is a rear tire (non steer) worries me less as well. 

TexasRedNeck:
Bob had it right. Internal patch lays a large surface area patch over the hole and uses air pressure and adhesive to force a great seal over a large surface area. Plugs can last but when they fail, a lot of times the air gets between the plys and creates separation of the layers, ruining the tire. While it's still sound I would have the repaired performed from the inside and then run it like you would any other tire.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JR:
If you have any concerns, just have it done from the inside. That will be as good as new.

With that said I have run those many times with no issues even in the long term. I of course did not have any remote air monitor though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version