Hello Guest

Author Topic: .223 or .308 AR  (Read 3599 times)

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
.223 or .308 AR
« on: November 18, 2016, 08:11:11 PM »
OK, well I don't have the experience to build one, so off I go to buy off the shelf. Would you start with the .223 and upgrade later to the .308 or just buy the .308 now and upgrade it as money allows.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: .223 or .308 AR
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 09:25:05 PM »
.308 if you got the coin & can feed it, I really like my ruger......
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 10:15:58 PM »
If you don't have a black rifle yet I'd start with the 5.56. Ammo is plentiful and cheap and it's a killer out to 200 easy then from there out to about 600 it depends a lot on ammo and barrel length. You can plink out to 600 pretty easy but lethality suffers once the velocity drops below 2600fps

7.62 much heavier and expensive to feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 10:44:29 PM »
Thanks for the feed back. I just don't know, I don't see the ammo cost as a big problem as I will be shooting less than hundreds not thousands at a time, and have lots of stuff on the shelf right now for the .308 system. Lots of brass and powder for the .223 but no projectiles to speak of for the AR.  The 308 is a lot more money to start but...Then there is the set up, with the high front sight system, how do you mount a scope? If you by one scope ready can you still use the open sight system too?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 10:50:24 PM »
My 762 came with flip up sights, no issues with my acog. Also worth noting I think all of my ar's with optics have the flip up sights & can be used with out removing optic as long as you can see thru optic still. If it's an issue they also have those sights where you tip the gun 45 degrees to use standard rifle style sights. The up side to that is you can feel kinda gangsta too! ::)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 10:53:37 PM by stlaser »

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 11:14:52 PM »
Thanks Shawn, the Gangsta style is good right?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 11:27:06 PM »

Wouldn't know, I'm a white redneck farm boy from Indiana.  ;)

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 11:32:12 PM »

Wouldn't know, I'm a white redneck farm boy from Indiana.  ;)

That may be true, but thanks for the insight....

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 07:33:06 AM »
What's your budget?

I'd start with a 5.56, get it all how you want it, then acquire the 308. If you're worried about the sights and optics, get the flip up front and rear sights. Mounting an optic isn't hard. Any one of the more popular mounts manufacturer will have multiple different options you can go with.  Choosing an optic is where it because an exercise in futility as you'll like one, and another, and another and have to choose between them.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 07:52:45 AM »
Bob let's back up a minute. What's the intended use?  Zombie apocalypse? Plinking? To what distance?  Hunting? At what distance?  How accurate do you want it to be?

Me personally I only use my AR10 out past 400. My eyes are still good enough (barely) to hit steel at 300 with a red dot. Beyond that I'm a scope whore

So I guess what I'm saying is I use my AR15 for minute of scumbag work inside 300 and more lengthy accurate and hunting work I use the AR10. Both have good and bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 03:29:24 PM »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 03:55:13 PM »
OH snap!  Wonder what the accuracy is?  Someone used to make a 300 WSM but I've never seen a long action like that

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 07:03:04 PM »
OH snap!  Wonder what the accuracy is?  Someone used to make a 300 WSM but I've never seen a long action like that

Who cares?! You got a 14 rd mag!!! Just kidding. Get the Recon or whatever it's called version... yea 18" of 300 win mag awesomeness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f75IiQ3VniQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OEiOwym_Oo

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 07:04:14 PM by BobbyB »

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 11:36:32 PM »
Well I went for the .223 for now. My use, try to learn the AR platform, have with me in AZ while out prospecting or just playing in the desert, something to use when and if "they" ever come after my guns, or if I need more than my single shot rifles while in a tight spot.
Shawn, I am also a white redneck that grew up out in the country on a lake with lots of hunting and shooting. Heck, I took a .22 to school for show and tell.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 12:20:44 AM »
Shawn, I am also a white redneck that grew up out in the country on a lake with lots of hunting and shooting. Heck, I took a .22 to school for show and tell.

Funny you say that, my high school had the largest school farm in the state. We often used weapons (guns & compound bows) for presentations on reports. It was not uncommon to find shotguns and the occasional sks hanging in the back window of our pickups in the student parking lot. My senior year I had a colt .38 revolver in my Monte Carlo every day just because I could legally. With all that stated no one would think twice of shooting anyone back then. We had a public access to Appleman Lake couple miles from school, differences were settled many times in that gravel lot after school. I was more of an impatient type though that dealt with issues immediately, some things never change I guess. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal