Hello Guest

Author Topic: Weighted Blankets????  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Weighted Blankets????
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 11:14:01 PM »
Well, for those that have never experienced an Indiana winter in an unheated upstairs circa 1900 farm house I can tell you there is nothing better than flannel sheets and a stack of blankets to sleep under!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 07:42:42 AM »
They're for millenials, liberals and Demorats who don't get enough hugs......they should wrap themselves in them and go swimming and it will make us all get over it......just saying!  ;D
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 08:37:37 AM »
Well, for those that have never experienced an Indiana winter in an unheated upstairs circa 1900 farm house I can tell you there is nothing better than flannel sheets and a stack of blankets to sleep under!

I second that. We never had heat upstairs in our house growing up. If the wind blew just right you have a line of snow across the floor. (Never did find where it got in at)
I had great grandmas feather tick. 3 inches of down between two layers of flannel. Hand sewn together. Poke your head out in the morning like a ground hog. If i can see my breath I'm going back. I'm not getting up till I have to.

I dont care if its 110 degrees and I'm in a tent. I still cant sleep unless I have my chest covered.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 09:11:28 AM »
I still sleep with comforter up around my neck, wife ribs me about it often....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 10:09:42 AM »
When I was a child, I lived in the attic of the family home. Not upstairs, the attic. I mean it had a floor and over time had paneling and eventually was nice, but from maybe 7 years old until 18 ish, it was my home. No heat and no AC...I know exactly what you mean!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 02:43:00 PM »
And they can take them on a plane, with their "service animal", old man huggies and hold hands singing cumbia. Oh wait, they don't believe either!! No singing.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 02:43:40 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 07:40:39 PM »
Yeah....night time when I was a kid meant the heat was turned off. In a 200 yr old drafty farmhouse that meant 50 ish in the AM. I slept year round with my window open just a crack. Blankets were key. I remember standing over the hot air grate in the AM waiting for the air to start blowing. It felt so good when it came on. Kids have no idea today for the most part.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 08:02:39 PM »
Yeah....night time when I was a kid meant the heat was turned off. In a 200 yr old drafty farmhouse that meant 50 ish in the AM. I slept year round with my window open just a crack. Blankets were key. I remember standing over the hot air grate in the AM waiting for the air to start blowing. It felt so good when it came on. Kids have no idea today for the most part.
Seriously
I'd do the same thing
Old house had an oil fired furnace with a duct near the base of the stairs...

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 08:04:31 PM »

Well, my mom was raised in that same circa 1900 era farm house. Anyhow there were 4 kids & 3 24" square grates on the first floor of the house. She said it was a race every winter morning to get to one to get dressed on top of.....
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 08:05:03 PM by stlaser »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 09:45:08 AM »
JR, those would be "emotional support animals", and they are not recognized by the ADA as a service animal........;D
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 10:05:17 AM »
Now I didn't have to sleep in an attic or any of those super tough guy sleeping places but I won't lie.  I hate those fuzzy whispy blankets that pull off the bed.  I took and saved all my jeans for a Few years and then put them to good use for a larger than king size spread.  Love that thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 10:53:47 AM »
Still have great grandmas patchwork quilt. the thing weighs about 40lbs. When I turned 18 I bought and moved into our travel trailer for about a year, and the main heater didn't work, so there was an old, 70's era plug in that had criss crossed elements and no fan and constantly shut itself off because the temp switch was broken, so that quilt was a necessity. Loved that thing. Might have to pull it out of storage and keep it in the trailer from now on for nostalgia.

Edit: Nothing to do with anxiety, more like necessity back then!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:54:43 AM by EL TATE »
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal