Hello Guest

Author Topic: Truck Gun  (Read 5898 times)

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
Truck Gun
« on: December 12, 2016, 09:40:50 AM »
Well got the ok from Misses for a new truck gun. I just want a budget friendly 45 1911. I'm going to look at ATI and Rock Island, and any others you can think of.  I want a full size 5", Just to keep in the truck and take with me when we go to Alaska this summer. I have to read up on the paperwork going thru Canada! I know it Must be bigger than 4.1" barrel then have to find out the rest.
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Truck Gun
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 10:30:01 AM »
I have read some stories where guys found it easier to ship them to a dealer in AK then pick it up when they get there. Then before they leave to come back they drop it back off and it's shipped back to them in the lower 48. Dunno if that makes sense to do or not?

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 01:08:42 PM »
I have read some stories where guys found it easier to ship them to a dealer in AK then pick it up when they get there. Then before they leave to come back they drop it back off and it's shipped back to them in the lower 48. Dunno if that makes sense to do or not?
This is likely the easiest route.
I hate our laws on handguns...
Nuff said.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html
Here's the link to Canada Customs. I have little faith that you'll actually be able to carry it with you.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 02:51:32 PM »
A 1911 will be a good little truck gun. Take a look at it often though, as they will tend to collect a little surface rust (quickly) just from humidity. Unless you get it cerakoted or similar.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 09:18:59 PM »
Well got the ok from Misses for a new truck gun. I just want a budget friendly 45 1911. I'm going to look at ATI and Rock Island, and any others you can think of.  I want a full size 5", Just to keep in the truck and take with me when we go to Alaska this summer. I have to read up on the paperwork going thru Canada! I know it Must be bigger than 4.1" barrel then have to find out the rest.

you will have a problem doing that, getting that(1911) into Canada!   I have been thru a bunch of border crossing in my life and Canada was one of the worst as far as asking about guns!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 09:26:41 PM »
Whenever we cross and they ask if we own guns I always say "nope". Saying yes from what I've heard from friends of mine means a lengthy and intense search of said vehicle.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 09:42:38 PM »
that is VERY true, lots and lots of questions!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 09:48:29 PM »
Whenever we cross and they ask if we own guns I always say "nope". Saying yes from what I've heard from friends of mine means a lengthy and intense search of said vehicle.
Which is likely just fine a song as you don't have any of them with you.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 08:10:41 AM »
Well when we were at Glacier National Park we went to Canada and they just asked if we had any weapons, told them just Bear spray and we were on our way, no problems.
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 09:04:30 AM »
Were you wearing your "Man-Jams" and displayin' your allah ak-bar T-shirt
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 10:48:38 AM »
I have found that if you hollow out a old Optima battery it conceals such a device quite well. Installed in a battery box hooked in a dual battery configuration it just isn't noticed. I only mention this because I found a better place LoL

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 12:38:22 PM »
Were you wearing your "Man-Jams" and displayin' your allah ak-bar T-shirt

No I was not being TaciCool on my trip!  They just got their panties in a wad because when they asked me if I had any weapons I said no.  They proceeded to inspect the RC and they didn't like that I had hunting Knifes that I didn't tell them about.  I proceeded to tell them that those are not weapons just tools which lead to a discussion that was started to get heated until my wife started kicking me and I really wanted to get to Alaska so I let the argument die!

Its funny because after everything clamed down the two border guards kept me there for about 20 min asking me all kinds of questions about the RC, I don't know if they were interested or just digging for other reasons.

and they never said one word about the machete behind the drivers seat.

OldKooT

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 12:47:39 PM »
I learned in Canada when crossing the border and they ask if you have any weapons or explosives that if you tell them you left the LAW at home, they will clean your entire truck out for you.  ;D

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 12:06:15 AM »
When I was LEO I went up there for a weekend and crossing the border was a PAIN!!! I said no weapons but had a can of mace and OMG they were not happy. Had to fill out paper work so they could take it destroy it. Then they wanted a list of all the model planes I had so if I sold something they could charge me tax!

As they said, send it up there. It is legal to ship a firearm to the owner with no red tape. Ammo might be fun and pricey though.

Dang Norm, I just got rid of a nice red top that went bad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Now tell us more about the new spot?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 09:19:36 AM »
Getting back into the USofA is fun also depending on who you get to inspect. We were coming back from Edmonton and the owner of a trucking company gave us some of his homemade jerky. We had it in a zip lock on a seat in the plane.

They found it when they were inspecting the plane and you would have thought we had nukes on board. It was ridiculous. Oh and I hadn't signed my new passport so I was an object of their attention for quiet a while. Thought I was going to have to turn and cough for a moment.

They kept our jerky and finally let us fly out an hour later.

Warms your heart that they are so vigilant against old Americans coming home but not so much on the southern inbound. LOL

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 08:24:20 AM »
Well Just talked with the Chief Firearms Officer for British Columbia and Yukon. She was very nice and helpful, sent me quite a packet of info to look over. Basically has to be over 4.1" barrel, 10 round mag or less, and stored empty with trigger lock on, and be on their approved list. Fill out the permit at least 10 days before you plan to enter Canada get authorization to transport thru to Alaska, the permit is good for 60 days and you can call and get an extension if you are going to be in Alaska longer. Here's the link to what she sent me. Also on the New Gun hunt. I like this Ati Full size.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_2108/products_id/75562/ATI+Firepower+Xtreme:+Military+1911
or Rock Island
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411539079
But my son is try to get me to look at M&P
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_2108/products_id/49497/S&W+M&P45+10+1+45ACP+4.5%22
I'll have to think on which one would be the best for truck and carry around the homestead?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:45:39 AM by kampfitt »

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 08:54:26 AM »
Glad to hear they were helpful.
The customs guys will still likely wet their pants when you tell them you have guns.
Just make sure all your ducks are in a row and you should be good.
Now, they'll likely search you as well looking for others, and ammo etc. Just make sure everything is legit.
Add to her list that it needs to be in a locked case as well. I'd hate for you to get caught on that technicality. Basically we're screwed here. Locked gun in a locked case, and the transport papers.
All I can legally do with my handguns is lock as above, go to registered gun range and return home.
I still can't get my head around the libtards fears of guns...
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 09:00:43 AM »
For a truck gun that sees lots of harsh environments and little routine "love" I would highly recommend a polymer weapon (dare I say the G word?). A full size G21 with a 10RD mag would almost never need to be maintained and would fire while full of Cheetoe crumbs ( I've shot  with beat cops that had crumbs in their holster and weapon)

Signed, Glock fan boy
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 09:45:29 AM »
What Red stated above, also if you're looking at glocks look to the used market. I have had the chance to buy several glocks in .45 over the years for a very reasonable price. I always begged off as I don't need another round really. But I've watched guys buy them and sour on them for one reason or another, nothing to do with function though. No offense to you TRN, just stating my experience.....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 09:51:29 AM »
For a truck gun that sees lots of harsh environments and little routine "love" I would highly recommend a polymer weapon (dare I say the G word?). A full size G21 with a 10RD mag would almost never need to be maintained and would fire while full of Cheetoe crumbs ( I've shot  with beat cops that had crumbs in their holster and weapon)

Signed, Glock fan boy
And you forgot to mention

The Glock 21 can be used as a:
Framing hammer
Wheel chock
Pry bar
Dog toy (As in throw the thing like a stick, dog brings back)
New years eve noise maker
Mag well fits some tractor lug nut sizes
Spade
Gardening tool (Just shoot uniformly spaced holes in the ground to plant large shrubs or trees in)
Barrel fits on the end of gardening hoses for pressure washing (For nasty stains, place barrel back in weapon!)
Finish nailer (With some mags)
Use as weight for important papers on passenger seat when driving with open windows
Use Halloween (Or any other night) to scare people with
Fixes, cell phones, lap tops, TV's, power tools, or anything else that needs "Fixin!"
Use barrel to straighten up steel parts like antennas or late model bumpers
Keeps idiots out or induces anxiety into their lives
   Example: Pick up teen age or hippie lookin hitch-hiker. Then when underway pick up the G21 and drive with it in your hand while steering the 
                 vehicle. Begin conversation about all the finer points of the Trump presidency, and all the trash Obummer has brought about. For added 
                 fun, cite how you can't wait to be accosted by a black lives matter angry mob...
Place over broken off shifter handles, and just keep on rowin' those gears!
Use barrel to store survival rations in. Things like Slim Jim's actually lubricate the weapon as well!
Place on dash when trying to find a parking space in a crowded venue
Take into restaurant and place on table when you just want to eat your meal without being bothered by people...Or you really don't want to pay!
Take into the post office, school, or other public places if you feel like you want someone to talk to
Reduces the normal range of guns you carry. Simply remove anything from a .22 to your handy elephant gun! The G21 replaces all
If you're an Army artilleryman, use it to replace everything up to 60mm
Ever have to change a tire, pull out the jack, but couldn't find the jack handle? Well there you are, problem solved!
Ever in a hurry, and when approaching the guy with the slow/stop sign, he goes to stop just as you arrive?  ;-)  ;-)
Place it on your hip, pull in the gas station in your huge 4 X 4...Right up to and way too close to some KIA, then step out and ask, Am I too close?
Can be used to stir up paint, chemicals which have seperated or yesterdays chicken soup.
Use to screed and smooth out concrete
Going to a cookout and forgot your spatula?
Shove raw meat in one end and yield processed summer sausage out of the other! Note: Requires added gun lube though
If you're ever giving a talk and you need a pointing device, there ya go!
And
If you ever want to shoot
You've also got a gun!

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:53:14 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 10:15:13 AM »
^^^^ Got to steal this and post it in the CIEMR section. Hey, I'm sick today and this is likely the best I can put out...!

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 10:40:39 AM »
Yea I forgot the page on storage. Basically trigger lock in a locked case at all times in Canada!! But our 2 jumbo cans of Bear Spray are no problem!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:42:41 AM by kampfitt »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »
Yea I forgot the page on storage. Basically trigger lock in a locked case at all times in Canada!! But our 2 jumbo cans of Bear Spray are no problem!
You in the merica' or Canadia?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 12:09:07 PM »
I would go polymer also. 1911's are nice but a single action, not so with glock or MP. Now 45 glocks have a iffy rep for some reason. I like the MP or XD.

You know, looking at your sig I really need to build a plane someday.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
What Red stated above, also if you're looking at glocks look to the used market. I have had the chance to buy several glocks in .45 over the years for a very reasonable price. I always begged off as I don't need another round really. But I've watched guys buy them and sour on them for one reason or another, nothing to do with function though. No offense to you TRN, just stating my experience.....

It takes more effort to offend, sir Shawn.  :-)

Its a personal thing.  Some don't like the grip angle or don't trust their trigger finger to be their safety.  In that case there are other reasonable alternatives that are intellectual theft of property copies.....uh the S&W M&P comes to mind....

Not sure if CZ makes a 45, but that's another option for not a lot of money.

As Shawn said, on the secondary market is a good place to aquire.  I did a lot of that a couple years ago and FTF deals are not logged anywhere....just sayin.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016, 12:29:28 PM »
Don must have had a few cups of Joe this mornin' ^^^^^^^!!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 12:49:28 PM »
I think that's the hardest I have laughed in a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 01:00:11 PM »
If the state allows ftf transfers..... :-\

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 01:02:44 PM »
Sounds like you need to get out of commyrodo!
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2016, 01:15:08 PM »

Since when have you ever been concerned with "allow"?

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 01:18:40 PM »
Totally. There's 'allowed' and then reality.
For sure two totally different concepts.  8) 8)
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 01:41:41 PM »
For the record, my wife's crazy (seriously we believe he has some mental issues) uncle spent a year in low level prison near Detroit (he's from Indiana) for buying ak's over the counter legally & selling them to a felon which was setup by the ATF. Was he asking to get caught? Was he warned what he was doing was a bad idea? Yep on both accounts, however he still did time. A guy mind you that has no formal education past 8th grade & hasn't filed taxes in ten plus years.

So the next question goes to trust & what is a base line for said trust? I've lived in the state for almost 2 years. I trust no one that I know here besides a cousin I grew up with who lives in Eagle. So to do something not "allowed" seems rather dumb.

Follow up question is there currently any reason for me to break said law and jeopardize my life as I know it? Not really as there is nothing I "need" I can't legally acquire. Want is a different category.

Now all of those stated things are today, tomorrow may be a different day and set of circumstances. Tomorrow is never promised as he said. 

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 04:14:37 PM »

Since when have you ever been concerned with "allow"?

Washington is no longer allowing FTF. If I do a FTF for a truck gun even though not legal to do, and then it  gets stolen in a smash and dash. Do I turn the gun in as stolen and have to answer how and when I took possession of it, or say nothing and hope it is never recovered after a gun involved crime? I just can't see saving the transfer fee cost by doing an illegal FTF, it is  just not worth the hassle to me even if it smacks of unfair control practices.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2016, 04:35:12 PM »
If you can buy it, can't you transfer?

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.113

Section 4a

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2016, 04:45:24 PM »
Exactly my point. Up till last year we could do a FTF, now the libs got the law passed that we must go through a FFL and the background check, and pay his fee before the sale. No law enforcement wants to have the responsibility so many are still doing the sale the old way.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2016, 05:13:38 PM »
All the criminals in CHI follow the rules too...:-)

Don't all the bad guns come from gun shows anyway?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2016, 05:48:25 PM »
I thought all the bad guns came from north of the border and were allowed to walk across into Mexico by our guberment.... :o otherwise Mexico would just be a stand up place with no issues!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2016, 05:48:39 PM »

That is how they think here on the Left Coast. Charles, are you leaning left again just to stir things up.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2016, 08:03:53 PM »
Don must have had a few cups of Joe this mornin' ^^^^^^^!!
Ya, sure did. Think it reacted with the two Mucinex and two vitamin C tabs I took...Sorta cocktailed my brain and affected my funny nerve

So that explains me, what's up with Shawn?

He fussed up because I'm thinking of firing him again?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2016, 08:08:57 PM »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2016, 09:10:27 PM »

That is how they think here on the Left Coast. Charles, are you leaning left again just to stir things up.
Guilty, sir. :-)

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2017, 10:42:13 AM »
Link didn't work for me? That's the way I'm leaning to the M&P.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_2108/products_id/48723/S&W+M&P45+10+1+45ACP+4.5%22
I would like your price much better!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:43:31 AM by kampfitt »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2017, 10:48:45 AM »
Link didn't work for me? That's the way I'm leaning to the M&P.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_2108/products_id/48723/S&W+M&P45+10+1+45ACP+4.5%22
I would like your price much better!
Go to Aim Surplus right now...

I posted a link to the sale somewhere. They have used LEO M&P45's for $399!

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2017, 07:51:41 AM »
Well younger son called last night and said to look up Buds Qualified Professional Discounts!! I think this would cover most everone here!
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/qualified_professional_discounts.php
This is a great price on the M & P 45 that I want. And I have 2 sons that qualify for the discount that would love to buy dear old dad a new handgun for his birthday!!
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2083_1799_1800/products_id/411554696/S&W+M&P45+45ACP+Fixed+Sights+4+12%22+NMS
And they're right in your neck of the woods Don.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal