Hello Guest

Author Topic: Selling the barn  (Read 929 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Selling the barn
« on: December 14, 2016, 07:50:00 AM »
I was wondering if anyone here ever bought or sold a barn for the wood. There is a barn on My wifes property in Kentucky that's not good for much. I often thought of selling it for the wood. Ive see a lot of barns in the part of the country disappear. The ground was always leveled out who eve did it did a good job. Except for a couple skeletons. I did looking around on Craigslist last time I was down there someone had a post about don't sell your barn to this company. They take what they want and leave. I didn't pay any attention to it because I hadn't convinced my wife that it should go. Her grandpa built it. its sentimental so I dropped it.

Mother in Law called yesterday someone wants to buy the barn. Now she all  hey if we sell the barn we can put a roof on the house. Pay some bills. Im fine with it. I just don't know what its worth. Its a 40x40 about. Kinda falling down. If i lived there I could save it. I would save it because I would need it. Before her dad died he put a bunch of new lumber in it. Built a loft. Hand built new doors. There is a bunch of rough cut 2x6 or 2x8 in there and new floor in the loft.

I just have to wait and see if they call.

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

OldKooT

Re: Selling the barn
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 08:39:02 AM »
I have a hobby of demoing barns. Value is all about the species of woods used, condition, patina, and foundation material. Notch and peg, or more modern, factors in as well. Then you have location, level of "gone" the owner wants, and many other factors.

Bottom line it would be almost impossible to say what it's worth without looking at it.

I do advise a written contract that specifies what condition the property will be left in when done. I'd also would likely get more than one bid/offer.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 03:05:56 PM »
A friend of mine makes furniture out of old barn wood here in MA. A lot of barns in western MA collapsed due to neglect. He would reclaim the wood then make furniture, often putting a tag on the piece as to what barn it came from. He is doing pretty well with it. But I don't know what he pays for the wood, I think a lot of times its just to clean up a safety hazard for the owner. I think Koot is right though....depends on the material and the quality of it.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 07:28:41 PM »
Getting something in writing is a good idea. Down there I don't know if that means a whole lot. We are going to the farm show in Louisville in febuary. Is like meet them in person.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 07:35:05 PM »
Jon, you might check out the guys on that DIY show Barnwood Builders - they're in WV and dismantle old barns all the time.

https://www.barnwoodliving.com/
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 07:32:47 AM »
Ive seen that show. Wouldent hurt to contact them. There is no real fancy logs or anything like that.

Koot we have a barn right here that we are tearing down. Its shame too because its it really good shape. If you are interested. ITs all covered with tin so I dont know what color it would be. I wish I could move it home. Well I could but I don't make the decisions or write the checks.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal