Hello Guest

Author Topic: Thinking about jumping to .308, but i'm cheap  (Read 5085 times)

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
Thinking about jumping to .308, but i'm cheap
« on: December 30, 2016, 09:57:14 AM »
I'm frugal by nature so that's kept me from sending $1 down range with each trigger pull.... so i've stuck to .223/5.56, however my dream rifle has been calling my name.

Hark, Hark Stewie. Purchase me and you shall be complete. Pip Pip Cheerio!

There is an M1A with my name on it out there. IMO, its the most gorgeous rifle ever created and after shooting one, i want one. Give me the wood stock with an optic and a 20 round mag and i consider that utter beauty.

What i find hideous is the cost to feed that object of ballistic desire.

I've got the land to be able to send cash down to around 800 yards with ease, so what's stopping me?

Can I justify the move to .308 when my 18" .223 wylde can send 77 gr's out to 600? Im not sure....
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about jumping to .308, but i'm cheap
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 10:16:43 AM »
There are things a 5.56 just cannot accomplish, so if you do not have a heavier rifle in the mix I think it's a pretty easy answer.

I have .308, x54, .06, -70 & still hear .458 calling my name so I may not give the best advice in this regard however I will not give you any grief for acquiring a new rifle or caliber either.

It also just occurred to me that this progression from 5.56 up is similiar to that of a d-44 then to the d-60 or in non off road knucklehead terms ifs to a real straight axle setup. Your ears ringing Norm? ;D
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 10:39:59 AM »
I'm frugal by nature so that's kept me from sending $1 down range with each trigger pull.... so i've stuck to .223/5.56, however my dream rifle has been calling my name.

There is an M1A with my name on it out there. IMO, its the most gorgeous rifle ever created and after shooting one, i want one. Give me the wood stock with an optic and a 20 round mag and i consider that utter beauty.

I've got the land to be able to send cash down to around 800 yards with ease, so what's stopping me?

Can I justify the move to .308 when my 18" .223 wylde can send 77 gr's out to 600? Im not sure....
I think 600 meters with a 5.56 is a joke.

You have to do all sorts of science and so forth to have any of that make sense.
It's a .22
Not wanting to rain on your parade, but ever check out what the russians think of our .22 battle rifle?

When they evaluated the standard (older) M193 ammo, they found it to be effective out to about 95 meters for man sized killing rounds.
Compare that to their 7.62 X 39 shooting a 122 or 123 grain FMJ and they find the same effects at around 250 meters.
You have to amp up the .22 with powder, exotic bullets and then deal with a round which is light and can be played with by a cross wind and all you have is some wishful thinking.

Now on the flip side if you want to dust ground hogs or paper or something like that, and have fun, then the .22 is just fine. My fav round from my childhood was the .220 swift. I shot .22's long distance once killing a buzzard at several hundred meters in gusty conditions.

But if you want to lay some solid smack down and forgo all the plinkin' then the 7.62 X 51 if the round of choice. I own two, my M1A with the national match barrel and standard GI stock, and my 716 Sig. I have fitted each with 25-30 round mags and scopes, and I don't worry about the range or what I'm shooting at, I just shoot it.

The M21 or M1A is a handful to tote around, I like my Sig better for that. But the M21 smokes the sig or any other gun when it comes to classic looks, and a forged steel kinda reliability. It's like the footer and thick foundation walls of a great home. Just always there, always solid, never hear anything about it, it just works all the time.

If you want one, life is short. And that's a gun that you'll be proud of passing on.

How many M1A's have been carved up, dismantled, lost, forgotten about or remain unused:
Answer: None!
Get a Springfield and enjoy it. And know that to this day, US Infantry are still carrying that battle rifle in combat. To this day it is still sending our enemies to hell!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 10:52:05 AM »
308 is still relatively cheap.  That is why I decided on a 308 last spring.

I bought some cheap 308 for about $.65 per round.  It's not great but it's cheap for short range shooting.  I can reload much better stuff for about $.55 per round or really good stuff for $.65 per round.  So it can be done for less then a dollar per round.  My 223 on the other hand I can reload for about $.25 per round so much cheaper.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 10:55:19 AM »
Good point Bear.

.308 stuff, especially surplus military can be fairly accurate. I am thinking of that silver lookin' German Armee stuff. It out performs the us mil .762 rounds and can be found from time to time dirt cheap. I always keep a battle pack of that stuff laying around.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 12:01:15 PM »
Search estate sales and CL to find a cheap reloading set up.  A classic RCBS rock chucker or almost any other press will do.  You can probably get into a basic 7.62 reloading set up for 2-300 dollars.  Once you develop a recipie of powder and projectiles, you can reload and shoot very inexpensively and its really easy, even an Amry pilut could do it and not blow himself up if he followed the rules...(oh, that...may be a problem for said pilut)

I say do it.  Roll your own, increase your accuracy and plink for cheap.  The M1A makes a great sledge hammer when out of ammo too!
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 02:08:59 PM »
Hey. FWIW I bought a couple of these yesterday for 50cts / round just to try out. Brass case with boat tail.

http://shop.militaryshooters.com/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=140211&pid=1035277

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 02:15:13 PM »
I have some of that, good stuff.

Sarco has it for under .40 right now.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 06:20:32 PM »
I like the M14 (M1A whatever..  :rolleyes:)but if you plan on using it for accuracy type stuff, get a bolt action. Yes, an M1A can be made to be accurate, but it's not cheap. The optic mounts aren't the greatest for the proper cheek weld, or repeatability. Yes you can get a fully loaded SA M1A and it'll shoot, don't get me wrong, but by the time you get that, AND a good scope, you'll already be approaching or into a custom built bolt action price range; or best idea a stock 700 with a good scope, stock and bipod and a decent amount of 308 to put downrange and actually learn how your rifle handles different ranges and weather conditions.

My .02 would be a stock 700, scope, bipod and bullets. But I'm not the one buying the rifle, or fighting the wants/needs.

EDIT:
 If all you want the rifle for is to punch paper or steel at 800 yds there are better choices for doing that than 308.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 06:57:31 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 07:47:45 PM »
Ah, Don't listen to him ^^^ He's just a grunt who is trained in the use of battle rifles at all ranges and wicks out bad guys like a swamp cagin swattin' bugs!
Naw take the advice of a pilot who on a good day can identify a rifle three outta four times!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 08:32:04 PM »
Ah, Don't listen to him ^^^ He's just a grunt who is trained in the use of battle rifles at all ranges and wicks out bad guys like a swamp cagin swattin' bugs!
Naw take the advice of a pilot who on a good day can identify a rifle three outta four times!

I can also identify most military helicopters by rotor beat at a distance but that's neither hear nor there.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 09:03:52 PM »
Interesting you should mention that Bobby. A few nights ago I heard a Blackhawk beating the air coming towards my weekend place/hide.  I'm in the middle of nowhere east texas piney woods and it was eerie. Very low and then pulled up from about what I'd estimate 200ft to 1000 ft just as it began flying over my property. Perhaps the big campfire made them want to pull up a bit. Dunno but it was pitch black and I definitely recognized that beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 10:46:30 PM »
Interesting you should mention that Bobby. A few nights ago I heard a Blackhawk beating the air coming towards my weekend place/hide.  I'm in the middle of nowhere east texas piney woods and it was eerie. Very low and then pulled up from about what I'd estimate 200ft to 1000 ft just as it began flying over my property. Perhaps the big campfire made them want to pull up a bit. Dunno but it was pitch black and I definitely recognized that beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I can explain that

200 is low, but NVG training is usually flown at 300-500 feet AGL.

So these guys are cruizin the countryside and they spy your fire. They fly toward it to investivate. You'd be surprised what you see from the air. There were these two girls in Germany who were playing tennis...in the nude! I was in a Huey and we  just dove right down there to make sure everyone was safe. We ended up dusting out the ladies from the rotor wash from being too close...

So, yea, Armee pilots can be curious by nature.

As they approach your place they suddenly saw too much light from the fire. The orange light from a fire absolutely shuts down NODS. You can't see anything. I'll bet that happened, and in a life saving measure they did a cyclic climb away from ground hazards and back to where they could see once again.

We spec ops guys had different ways of dealing with that, since we always seemed to end up in the middle of a bunch of fires...

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 10:44:16 AM »

I think 600 meters with a 5.56 is a joke.

You have to do all sorts of science and so forth to have any of that make sense.
It's a .22
Not wanting to rain on your parade, but ever check out what the russians think of our .22 battle rifle?

When they evaluated the standard (older) M193 ammo, they found it to be effective out to about 95 meters for man sized killing rounds.
Compare that to their 7.62 X 39 shooting a 122 or 123 grain FMJ and they find the same effects at around 250 meters.
You have to amp up the .22 with powder, exotic bullets and then deal with a round which is light and can be played with by a cross wind and all you have is some wishful thinking.

Now on the flip side if you want to dust ground hogs or paper or something like that, and have fun, then the .22 is just fine. My fav round from my childhood was the .220 swift. I shot .22's long distance once killing a buzzard at several hundred meters in gusty conditions.

But if you want to lay some solid smack down and forgo all the plinkin' then the 7.62 X 51 if the round of choice. I own two, my M1A with the national match barrel and standard GI stock, and my 716 Sig. I have fitted each with 25-30 round mags and scopes, and I don't worry about the range or what I'm shooting at, I just shoot it.

The M21 or M1A is a handful to tote around, I like my Sig better for that. But the M21 smokes the sig or any other gun when it comes to classic looks, and a forged steel kinda reliability. It's like the footer and thick foundation walls of a great home. Just always there, always solid, never hear anything about it, it just works all the time.

If you want one, life is short. And that's a gun that you'll be proud of passing on.

How many M1A's have been carved up, dismantled, lost, forgotten about or remain unused:
Answer: None!
Get a Springfield and enjoy it. And know that to this day, US Infantry are still carrying that battle rifle in combat. To this day it is still sending our enemies to hell!

the other option is the ar-10. the manual of arms is the same as an ar-15 which means my wife and eventually my daughter wont have to flip the script if they ever had to grab one.

i am not looking for a precision tac driver - i am all about minute of man/meat. If i can drop something @ 600+ ill be happy.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 11:50:28 AM »
Agreed, the ar-10 makes interchanging between the ar-15 easier for those not as acquainted with firearms. I love my ar-10 & the ability to penetrate a door and what's behind it not to mention the increased range was why I bought into it myself.

There have been a couple very nice AR-10 builds on here as of late along with good information on working though some of the bugs they can have. H's bf Ken's  ;D build comes to mind with having some hiccups he problem solved in the course of his build too.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 07:03:11 PM »
the other option is the ar-10. the manual of arms is the same as an ar-15 which means my wife and eventually my daughter wont have to flip the script if they ever had to grab one.

i am not looking for a precision tac driver - i am all about minute of man/meat. If i can drop something @ 600+ ill be happy.

AR-10 if you are getting an Armalite, or LR-308 if you are getting a DPMS or whatever model from whatever company you choose, is a valid choice. Like previously mentioned the manual of arms is identical, the parts are just bigger and heavier.  :smiley:

For something base model that you can upgrade the DPMS AP4 or their Oracle are good base models, that you can easily change up components on. I personally love the LRT-SASS, and the MK12 and the Reaper; however that's me.

16-18"
http://www.dpmsinc.com/308-WIN-762-NATO-16-18_ep_190-1.html

20-24"
http://www.dpmsinc.com/308-WIN-762-NATO-20-24_ep_195-1.html

As for Armalite, well
I couldn't get it to filter only the 308s, but you can peruse at your leisure.

https://armalite.com/product-category/complete-firearms/

Here's one route where you'll only need to decide on what kind of sights, and furniture you want on it. This isn't a bad option..
http://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/semi-auto/308-ar-18-oem-rifle-prod83359.aspx?avs%7cCartridge_1=CTT_308%2bWinchester

Just because I mentioned custom bolt build
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/rifle-receivers/deviant-short-action-receiver-prod61230.aspx

Now, you can also find matched sets in 308 and build your own to meet your exact hopes and dreams. I generally encourage people who ask for my opinion to take that route. You can find fancy sets like Cuda's or go basic, but it's all what flavor of rifle you want. Don't get caught up in the adjustable gas block or non adjustable gas block dilemma. Lots of guns run without adjustable gas blocks and have no problems. If you were to suppress then I'd say I'd look into it, but if not, then no worries.

Now Shawn and TRN can come in and give more info or flip the script on what I've written, and you can never have enough knowledge thrown at you.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 06:58:41 PM by BobbyB »

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 07:42:50 PM »
The "Reaper" kinda looks familiar to me.....? :o
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 10:50:14 PM »
I tried to stick to the question and just get him into 308 cheap by suggesting he reload. :-0

but now that the lid is off that genie bottle....

Minute of scumbag at 600 can be done by any off the shelf AR10, especially if you roll your own and develop a recipie that shoots well in your weapon.  For impatient guys like me, I don't want to work too hard at getting proficient with a crappy trigger.  No matter what you get, invest in a good trigger, whether that be a giessele or a timney or jewel.  it will make you a much better shooter quickly.

As funds and desire materialize you can build a better upper to increase accuracy.

Enjoy!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »
I tried to stick to the question and just get him into 308 cheap by suggesting he reload. :-0

but now that the lid is off that genie bottle....

Minute of scumbag at 600 can be done by any off the shelf AR10, especially if you roll your own and develop a recipie that shoots well in your weapon.  For impatient guys like me, I don't want to work too hard at getting proficient with a crappy trigger.  No matter what you get, invest in a good trigger, whether that be a giessele or a timney or jewel.  it will make you a much better shooter quickly.

As funds and desire materialize you can build a better upper to increase accuracy.

Enjoy!

DEA Guyz: Point of order here. Roll your own means: Reload your own ammo.

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 09:46:57 AM »
i build my own stuff, so i'd build my own AR10 as well.

i do reload, but since the move my equipment is sitting in boxes. the "shed/barn" on the farm is frankly a hazard to spent any time in, so i need to wait for the spring to get a new structure up so i have a work shop. i have been saving 308 brass from when i would smurf @ the ranges, but it's been a long time since ive been to a range.

i always love to tinker and build... it seems homesteading > guns at the moment, but i've been wanting to get into a larger caliber for some time now. While the M1A is my dream rifle, an ar-10 may be the first step into the platform ---- i can build it over time to my liking.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2017, 10:31:40 AM »
Stewie, after my "one piece at a time" process and adding up cost, this (see below link) might be the way I'd go were I to do it all over again.  Add in shipping costs etc. and I'm saving a couple to six hundred - so some food for thought. 

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2016-custom-rifles/ga-precision-gap-10-g2.html

In the long run, if it shoots like I think it will, I end up with something unique that I get a big grin outta whenever I take it out to play!

Here's the link to my build, with list and links to what I've assembled/purchased so far: list is next to last post on that page (3) based on my site setting.

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=2279.50
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:55:31 AM by cudakidd53 »

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 10:57:36 AM »
Stewie, after my "one piece at a time" process and adding up cost, this (see below link) might be the way I'd go were I to do it all over again.  Add in shipping costs etc. and I'm saving a couple to six hundred - so some food for thought. 

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2016-custom-rifles/ga-precision-gap-10-g2.html

In the long run, if it shoots like I think it will, I end up with something unique that I get a big grin outta whenever I take it out to play!

that pretty much the setup i am going to go for. 18-20" bbl at least with an aac adapter on the muzzle.

i just need a matching billet upper/lower - i would love a noveske set honestly.

the last build i did was a simple "loaner"/truck gun ar15. i did the whole thing with upper for under $500. its a no frills rifle. i didnt even bother putting an amti safety on it (im a lefty).

i can probably do a decent equipped ar10 build for under $1500 w/o glass. it would need to be ambi all the way which adds to cost. i need to factor in ammo cost (biggest thing to me). i havent amassed enough of my calibers to put the NG armory in my county to shame. i would need to do the same for .308 which would be a massssssive investment.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 11:05:47 AM by stewie »
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 11:13:26 AM »
I shoot lefty as well, so my parts list addresses ambi needs as well.  I just live with flames shooting out near my face, as lefty actions are rare/pricey!

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »
I shoot lefty as well, so my parts list addresses ambi needs as well.  I just live with flames shooting out near my face, as lefty actions are rare/pricey!

yeah, i wouldnt use a dedicated lefty system. it makes it harder to find parts and i'd have to undo lots of muscle memory. I never even bothered using the ambi mag release on a gen4 glock because i can do a change in roughly 2 seconds with the right handed controls.

ambi safety and charging handle is all i roll with these days.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2017, 12:12:33 PM »

This is how I operate as a left shooter & I never added the mag release to my newer glock either. After so many years I just figure I've made due this long.

I do think we should start a lefty shooters support group & petition congress to fund it so we can buy more ammo...... :wink:

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2017, 01:48:42 PM »
^^^ X2 !!!!  I'm blind in my right eye so, not a true Southpaw- necessity being the mother of invention!

Since Ken loves Hildabeast, that makes him a Lefty don't it?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 01:49:44 PM by cudakidd53 »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »
Since Ken loves Hildabeast, that makes him a Lefty don't it?

Absolutely

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2017, 06:49:42 PM »

This is how I operate as a left shooter & I never added the mag release to my newer glock either. After so many years I just figure I've made due this long.

I do think we should start a lefty shooters support group & petition congress to fund it so we can buy more ammo...... :wink:

they're all a buncha haters, IMO.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2017, 10:55:41 AM »
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 02:49:06 PM by cudakidd53 »

OldKooT

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2017, 12:27:13 PM »
There is much good information presented above...now I will share my opinion.  :cheesy:

M1: As old battlefield rifles go, it's a pretty cool weapon. Everyone should have one. So spend a grand on one that looks good at 5 feet, hang it on the wall and your set. This will achieve your goal of hitting a man sized target somewhere at distance. It's a .30 Cal rifle...aim at the enemies head...you'll hit him somewhere.

Ar10: These have some cool features. They are like an Ar15 but with actual usefulness at distance. You can attach any manner of stuff to these. I see the Ar 10 to be THE rifle to build if you need a flashlight and don't want to duct tape it to your rifle. Most of these will shoot a guy at distance. It's a .30Cal... aim at the head and.... well ya know the drill. As a bonus... carry this rifle 4 miles to the range, and you'll increase your upper body strength just like going to a gym...but without the yoga pants. When your in shape... bolt something else on the rail and increase the workout.

Now...... want to hit exactly where you aim? On a budget?

Grab a old used Savage Model 12. $250 Buy the best glass you can afford. Toss it all in a nice ridged stock, bedded and floated, and go shoot things. If you can out shoot the weapon...and you want more accuracy. Well, a barrel is a mail order do it yourself deal.

Orrrr.....ditch the sissy .308 bb gun and build a bolt action .458 and learn some proper artillery skills.

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2017, 12:43:06 PM »
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 12:51:14 PM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 02:50:50 PM »
Jr... My bad that was suppose to be 112.  Or you could use a 110... all depends on what your wanting to build.

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2017, 03:00:30 PM »
Just want a couple basic plinkers for the kids to teach more finesse vs semi auto. I have a henry jr, but a mag fed bolt action is a standard.

I want a 308 for myself. I have a Ruger 7mm and my dads old Rem 700 in 06. Both are nice looking guns but I want nice syn stock 308 and I like there accu trigger.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2017, 10:27:28 AM »
ok, so this dream of mine is on hold. i gotta put that $ into other things and frankly a new weapons platform is the least of my concerns. i'll make due with my 77 gr sierras for now and maximize my area of influence on the property for now.

Equal Opportunity Hater

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2017, 02:54:28 PM »
Well, you guys got me again. I went and ordered an upper from AIM. Heck for $500 it is a smoking deal and should get me into it for under $750.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XPF30820U8459920&name=Alexandria+PRO-FAB+.308%2f7.62X51+Upper+Receiver+Group+20in.+Barrel&groupid=7810&fprdct=1

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 02:58:51 PM »
Jr.... is that color legal in your state?  :cheesy:

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 03:02:06 PM »
I don't care,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2017, 03:17:15 PM »
You should post up a build thread on that...it would be interesting to see what you have in it all totaled when done.

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 05:22:04 PM »
I will, just step 1. I have a 20in AR I am doing too. Still have to get a lower and parts kit. Thinking of a polymer, but not sure;

Will be gone this weekend at a RC aircraft convention in Ontario; http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amaexpo/

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 06:03:29 PM »
Well, you guys got me again. I went and ordered an upper from AIM. Heck for $500 it is a smoking deal and should get me into it for under $750.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XPF30820U8459920&name=Alexandria+PRO-FAB+.308%2f7.62X51+Upper+Receiver+Group+20in.+Barrel&groupid=7810&fprdct=1

So a 20" barrel (generally rifle length gas system) and with a mid length gas system?

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 07:58:17 PM »
Rifle would be better, but I think the mid will be fine. That can always be tuned with a curl tube.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2017, 09:35:40 AM »
i did a rifle length on my 18" and i found it to be ideal.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2017, 12:00:57 PM »
We shall see. I like the SS barrel and the price.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal