Hello Guest

Author Topic: So, I want a vehicle...  (Read 6061 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
So, I want a vehicle...
« on: January 24, 2017, 01:16:18 PM »
I have been hitting all over the map on what I want to buy.

For a time I was considering a Ram Power Wagon. But I already own a great 3/4 ton truck which is pretty off road capable. Mine is probably not as good as a power wagon, but for years now it has served me well and has actually been off road almost every month (week??) I have owned it. So obviously it is working pretty well

Then I became interested in the Colorado ZR2 truck. With it I get a smaller package that I can actually park in a normal parking space. And it should deliver incredible fuel mileage. It should be a good parts runner as well and haul the family to church.

But it's expensive and although I could afford the purchase, I'd be buying something that would depreciate rapidly, forcing me to keep it more or less, forever.

I like heavy duty trucks. I like plenty of space like my crew cab gives me. I have a need to travel every so often and would like to store my baggage inside. If I want to pull off for a brief nap, I'd like space to do that as well. I want to buy something that I feel is a good buy for the money, so that speaks to used, 3/4 ton, heavy duty and spacious.

All that points right at a 3/4 ton Suburban or Yukon XL.

So I started looking at them. Looking all the way back to the 2001 year model. I have some experience here, we owned a 2004 1500 Suburban Z-71 for a long time. It was a great truck for people/baby moving chores. I seem to perfer the GMT-900 platform debuting in 07 and running forward to a couple years ago.

But I have seen a couple of outstanding older 3/4 ton Suburbans with that 496 cu in big block engine.

So, I'm now also considering 3/4 ton Surburbans from 2001 to 2012 with an eye on a 07-newer with the 6.0 engine.

What do we think about all that?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: So, I want a vehicle...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 01:21:32 PM »
Why again do you need it in the 3/4 ton flavor? Just asking because as a guy who has only ever bought 3/4 & 1 ton trucks I'm getting ready to buy a 1/2 ton. I did have to take a real hard look at the intended use but in the end it's all I need. We had both a suburban & a Yukon in the past and they were 1/2 tons with no driveline issues.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 01:39:54 PM »
Shawn is right, use the existing rig when you need heavy duty. Use a 1/2 ton the rest of the time. Maybe even buy an older Dodge diesel and rebuild it...Oh wait, I shouldn't have gone there.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »
I would say the same. We all like HD, but do we really need it all the time?

A regular Tahoe or Yukon would give you all you need and well above the room of a Colorado.

I also like the looks of the 2010 type years, the new ones look like a Ford Interceptor, to busy.

With that you also get the 5.3 motor for much better mileage and can still pull a trailer well being a full size vehicle.

Heck you can find these for a great price with low miles without looking hard. Many are from soccer moms who want a little smaller and have babied em.

I would say look for a nice Tahoe or Yukon. You could even lift it just a little easy for the mall mulch.

By the way, I have thought of the same after my Blazer. The blazer was just to small.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 01:46:56 PM »
Shawn is right, use the existing rig when you need heavy duty. Use a 1/2 ton the rest of the time. Maybe even buy an older Dodge diesel and rebuild it...Oh wait, I shouldn't have gone there.

:popcorn: :knucklehead:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »
Yea, that was a misstep

So,

You're fired too!

Have to consider rehiring you after some more quoffee! ;-)

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 01:57:23 PM »
That sounds like a solid plan. My only question would be about the 6.0. There are a lot more 5.3 engines out there than the 6.0 so parts and performance upgrades should be more readily available for the 5.3. The 2001 Silverado I owned with the 5.3 moved several pieces of farm equipment around without much trouble and got decent mileage for a rig that size. For all I know, the 5.3 may not have been available in the 3/4 ton, just food for thought on the parts/performance aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 02:00:31 PM »

Agreed ... no one will have any sympathy for you.  You can't complain about needing another vehicle when there is one that is 95% done already in your garage.

But if you are going to buy a suburban or Tahoe, avoid the half ton models from 2007 to current that have the 5.3L engine unless you secretly want it to fail so you can repower it with a diesel.  The active fuel management system has been causing valve lifter failures left and right, which basically results in needing a new engine, just out of warranty for many people.  The 6.0L that came in the 3/4 ton models did not have this issue as well as the 6.2L that came in the denalis and escalades up through 2009.  In 2010 AFM was added to the 6.2L as well.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 02:07:49 PM »

Agreed ... no one will have any sympathy for you.  You can't complain about needing another vehicle when there is one that is 95% done already in your garage.

But if you are going to buy a suburban or Tahoe, avoid the half ton models from 2007 to current that have the 5.3L engine unless you secretly want it to fail so you can repower it with a diesel.  The active fuel management system has been causing valve lifter failures left and right, which basically results in needing a new engine, just out of warranty for many people.  The 6.0L that came in the 3/4 ton models did not have this issue as well as the 6.2L that came in the denalis and escalades up through 2009.  In 2010 AFM was added to the 6.2L as well.
Square D is not a driver truck

It's big heavy, will be loud and obnoxious and a rolling statement, not at all what I am looking for in a driver.

I want something easier to drive, but can still pull a trailer, albeit, maybe not one loaded with my tractor and a load of plywood.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 02:14:11 PM »
Friend of mine has an 16 Silverado w/ 5.3 & has regularly been getting 22mpg. He claims active fuel management has been fixed in newer trucks.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 03:05:44 PM »
GM has been throwing band aid solutions at this engine since the issue started in 2007.  Every model year, someone makes the claim that it has been fixed.  And every year more and more vehicles fall victim to the same failure.   There have been documented failures as early as I think 40k miles.  But the majority of them are around the 100k mile mark.  So yes, his 16 should be fine for a while.  Most likely until he trades it off for another new one.  But the second owner will be hit with the repair bill from this problem.  It is not an easy issue to fix because GM would need to scrap that engine design and basically start over again.  Most theories revolve around the cooling of the cylinders that are deactivated.  A cool cylinder causes a continuous vacuum in the combustion chamber where there would normally be significant positive pressure.  This vacuum draws oil past the rings which creates a sludge on the top of the piston and rings.  Then when the cylinder is activated again it blows this sludge back into the engine and also out the exhaust.  The process wears out the rings and burns oil.  Do a search for excessive oil consumption linked with that 5.3L AFM engine.  It is the first sign of an issue.  The next problem comes when the sludge or dirty oil is pressurized and used in the hydraulic lifters which are the main component of the AFM system.  This has a tendency to plug up the passages, reducing oil and wearing out lifters.  The third and final nail in the coffin for most engines is the automatic oil life indicator.  Since it was programmed around an engine that burns no oil, it cannot account for the continuous (1 quart every 1500 miles in some cases) oil loss.  Many people have relied on the oil life indicator and ended up running the engine WAY too low on oil for many miles.  Again making the issue worse.

Can the engine design be saved?  Yes it would appear.  I did an unofficial long term oil consumption test on two of these engines over about 40k miles each.  In both cases I was able to significantly reduce or almost eliminate the oil consumption without replacing any parts.  I did three things to combat the causes from the failure theories.

1. Ignore the oil life indicator, check your oil every 1,000 miles and add if necessary.  Change oil at 3,000 miles religiously.
2. Run a half can of seafoam in the crank case for 5 minutes at idle just prior to changing the oil.  This seemed to remove some of the previously created sludge and reduce the oil consumption.
3. Deactivate the AFM system.  This can be done with plug in devices or with a programmer.  I used a diablosport intune model.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 03:49:53 PM »
Get a 1/2 ton, due a mild tune dumping the FM. I now change oil at 5K with good filters. If you find one with the tow package it should have the 85E trans.

Can I get my job back, I'll waive my benefits ? :beercheers:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:50:42 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 04:02:16 PM »
JR, is yours buying oil still or did that go away with the tune?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 04:46:43 PM »
Using about a quart between changes. Never used to worry about it.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 05:53:12 PM »
I didn't know about the problems with the 5.3 but I haven't been paying attention to gas trucks for several years. If you deactivate the AFM with a programmer does that fix the problem?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 06:39:28 PM »
I found one that I like

3.73, 14 bolt
After market front bumper
Rancho 4" lift kit
317-70 (34.5" tall BFG's)

I'd have to purchase sight unseen...
Shocks are really worn looking
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:41:06 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 06:40:21 PM »
Got a link?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 06:57:44 PM »
Don, how about a Vortec Max? ...a 6.0 in a half ton equals nimble, and you could still haul your tractor if needed:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2007-chevrolet-silverado-ltz-crew-cab-4x4-short-take-road-test
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:58:32 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 07:11:21 PM »
I like it...That is if I can still post on here

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 07:27:29 PM »
I found one that I like

3.73, 14 bolt
After market front bumper
Rancho 4" lift kit
317-70 (34.5" tall BFG's)

I'd have to purchase sight unseen...
Shocks are really worn looking

Is there a possibility any of us are near it to go look at it/drive it?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 07:41:38 PM »
Don, how about a Vortec Max? ...a 6.0 in a half ton equals nimble, and you could still haul your tractor if needed:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2007-chevrolet-silverado-ltz-crew-cab-4x4-short-take-road-test

So is the conscensus the 6.0 is the way to go versus the 5.3 on a new 1/2 ton? The big downside is the 12mpg at best.....

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 07:46:20 PM »
Looks like SubMax,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I like the 5.3.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 08:08:02 PM »
Funny, I was picturing the below "truck" in my head.  Its got some definite benefits going for it.  The front bumper is low enough to catch on any curbs to keep you out of the dreaded mulch, and in the gut-wrenching circumstances where you end up in it anyway, the front air dam can act like a small plow to push it out of the way until you reach  the safety of solid ground.  Just sayin, I'm trying to watch out for you.   :popcorn:

Dave

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 08:22:44 PM »
And why has no one spoke of a duraburb............!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 12:37:21 AM »
I like telling prius drivers my Dmax pollutes less than their car. Drives em nuts,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 01:18:17 AM »
 No offense Don, but finish what you have before adding to the stable.  You'll feeel better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 01:19:49 AM »
 :popcorn:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline CHEVSILVER1500

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 06:52:39 AM »
Having just bought a 2017 1500 with the 5.3l I did a bit of research before purchasing as I owned a 2008 with the 5.3l and the AFM before trading up to the Dmax. On the 2008 it was a nuisance and I was dissatisfied to say the least. However in 2014 the 5.3 and 6.2 were both redisgned, now designated as the EcoTec3 5.3l as opposed to the older vortec line. (Even look completely different when peeking under the hood) as was stated above by others the bugs are supposed to be worked out of the afm with the newer design. I suppose time will tell.

I will have to see if I can find the articles I read on the topic to post links.

The newer version seems to be more subtle in its transition between v4/v8, and is averaging about 22mpg. Best I could get from the 2008 was 16 if the stars were aligned perfectly. Can't speak on the towing capabilities of the newer model as it is still in the break-in mileage range and I haven't put a trailer behind it.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 08:17:48 AM »
I started reading up more as well on the newer motors and everything I read basically mirrors what you just stated ^^^^^^

OldKooT

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 08:55:27 AM »
Isn't a suburban just a slightly shorter less durable version of your Duramax?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 08:56:16 AM »
Funny, I was picturing the below "truck" in my head.  Its got some definite benefits going for it.  The front bumper is low enough to catch on any curbs to keep you out of the dreaded mulch, and in the gut-wrenching circumstances where you end up in it anyway, the front air dam can act like a small plow to push it out of the way until you reach  the safety of solid ground.  Just sayin, I'm trying to watch out for you.   :popcorn:

Dave

Positive thinkin' But you've seen the mulch around here...It's everywhere

How about some grass already!

Almost nothing can save you from getting mired in the mulch, or worse, getting stuck shopping for clothes with the wife...

Nothing good about malls, nothin'

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 08:56:58 AM »
Isn't a suburban just a slightly shorter less durable version of your Duramax?
I don't know about less durable, but slightly shorter, yes.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 09:00:18 AM »
And why has no one spoke of a duraburb............!
That's one of the beauties of picking up a 2500 burb now. It could be turned into a duramax powered suburban when my rich uncle dies in the poor house!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 10:57:37 AM »
Not for me Shawn, I like the early 5.3s just fine. Don mentioned something about needing another heavy truck... I was just trying to find him a compromise, since the 2 that he has aren't good enough. Lol

Sent from a spaceship

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2017, 11:12:23 AM »
MulchSub,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2017, 01:25:11 PM »
Having just bought a 2017 1500 with the 5.3l I did a bit of research before purchasing as I owned a 2008 with the 5.3l and the AFM before trading up to the Dmax. On the 2008 it was a nuisance and I was dissatisfied to say the least. However in 2014 the 5.3 and 6.2 were both redisgned, now designated as the EcoTec3 5.3l as opposed to the older vortec line. (Even look completely different when peeking under the hood) as was stated above by others the bugs are supposed to be worked out of the afm with the newer design. I suppose time will tell.

I will have to see if I can find the articles I read on the topic to post links.

The newer version seems to be more subtle in its transition between v4/v8, and is averaging about 22mpg. Best I could get from the 2008 was 16 if the stars were aligned perfectly. Can't speak on the towing capabilities of the newer model as it is still in the break-in mileage range and I haven't put a trailer behind it.

That is encouraging.  I have only read a little bit about the newest vehicles and thought it was just rebranding the same engine.  I though I had even read about one that failed that was a 2015, but it's been a while.  Maybe I can find that one again, or maybe it was in 2015 but the vehicle was a couple years older.  If the new engine really is different, we should start to see some 2014 models hitting 100k soon and we'll find out I guess.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2017, 02:24:07 PM »
Maybe just get a Kodiak??

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2017, 03:23:38 PM »
Maybe just get a Kodiak??

We would definitely find him stuck in a mulch bed......

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
So, I want a vehicle...
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »
What happened to the wife's jeep

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2017, 08:27:41 PM »

I think the "plan" is to park it next to well you know.... that um one thing (sorry it's been so long since he posted an update I can't recall it's name) in the one garage at casa grande and start an oil change that he will not finish.....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2017, 08:39:43 PM »
Not for me Shawn, I like the early 5.3s just fine. Don mentioned something about needing another heavy truck... I was just trying to find him a compromise, since the 2 that he has aren't good enough. Lol

Sent from a spaceship

Be careful...............................  ;-)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2017, 08:42:04 PM »

The GJ is doing just fine. Well except that she side swiped some poor unfortunate black lady in Cincy and half way tore the bumper off the front.

I'm done fixing her partially destroyed new cars, so I just left it flopping around. Kinda looks like a saint Bernard dag running around with it's tongue hanging out

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2017, 09:00:36 PM »
SO, did she hit a BIG BLACK LADY or her car???

:rolleyes:

My wifes last "incident" was inside the garage. She left her car in neutral and got out. Thank god the door was open which stopped it before going down the driveway.

:knucklehead:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2017, 09:04:41 PM »
SO, did she hit a BIG BLACK LADY or her car???

:rolleyes:

My wifes last "incident" was inside the garage. She left her car in neutral and got out. Thank god the door was open which stopped it before going down the driveway.

:knucklehead:
Clarification: Lady in a car. That other person was high on something. When Kat started to press, the other person saddled up and took off...Cool!

Oh and Kat backed out of the garage

Without opening the garage door!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:05:30 PM by Flyin6 »

OldKooT

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2017, 09:06:02 PM »
Ya all ever consider teaching the gals to drive?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2017, 09:09:08 PM »
How????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:09:51 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2017, 09:16:50 PM »
Well, my daughters have been listening to me critic my wife for the last 15 years so I figure that's a great start. Especially when they are now critiquing her driving..... :tongue:

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2017, 09:27:31 PM »
The first time I went camping with my wife, before she was my wife (neighborhood elk hunt), we had camp set up, heard a vehicle coming up the dirt road and it was her pulling up in a 34' rental motorhome. I asked "so, you know how to drive one of those things" and her reply was, with her typical sassy undertone "did you forget, I do have a suburban". SMH

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2017, 09:45:45 PM »
My wife drove the Dmax a couple time when I was fixing her car.

Besides the above accident, she also tried to put a yellow poll at a gas station through bed getting coffee. ($3K) :knucklehead:

Then I come home and she backed the Dmax into the garage door, shoving it in about 6 inches with the hitch. When I asked her about all she said was, "I thought it was a little hard to walk through there"  :rolleyes:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2017, 08:13:41 AM »

Norm, I seem to remember this post a while back...

"My wife rocked a 2012 2500 Burb for a few months. It was a solid machine if you ignore the IFS LoL  It met it's demise in 3' of creek water during a drive to church. They are not very tolerant of water. "

:grin:

How is your edumikathun  of the girls doing? LOL
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal