VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > General Vehicle Related Discussion

Thoughts on selling a new truck.

<< < (2/12) > >>

longball:
TRN: If the 2004 had 4 full doors I would definitely just keep it. All it needs is a taillight, the headliner repaired, and some rust removal/rock slider gizmos. An extended cab just doesn't meet my needs anymore.
Dave: that is what I was looking for before the Rebel. Mainly a 2007-2010 Duramax or newer Dodge 2500 with Cummins. I find myself constantly trying to get further off of the beaten path so the solid front axle has some appeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigdave_185:
Find ya a good deal on what ever flavor you like.  You know how much of a bad investment a brand new truck can be, you loose so much off the value just driving it off the lot.   Low miles, some aftermarket goodies for free and you can be debt free in a lot less time than paying big payments on a new truck

JR:

--- Quote from: Bigdave_185 on February 01, 2017, 09:46:30 PM ---He has some "good expenses" which I will take as a little one in a car seat, four door is a almost must.   Have you looked for maybe just a newer pickup than the max that has four doors?

--- End quote ---

First thing that came to my mind also. Congrads  :beercheers:

9.8 mpg, were you backing up?

You should be able to find a pre 10 duramax for a good price with low miles.  I understand the appeal of a solid front, but unless you are really hard core you should be fine. Plus as a DD it will ride better.

Bigdave_185:
Well did you put a for sale sign in it?

Wilbur:
I know the mileage stinks but how often do you tow the Polaris? I would look at it this way: If you drive 10,000 miles a year w/o towing and get 15 mpg that's 666 gallons. Then if you tow the Polaris 1,000 miles a year at 9.8 mpg that's 102 gallons. Combined that is 11,000 miles for 768 gallons which is a 14.3 avg mpg. Now I get that the diesels get a lot better mileage but you also have to take into account the cost difference in gas v. diesel. In calcs I've done before I figure it takes about 100,000 miles for a diesel to be "ahead" of a gasser in mileage and offset fuel differential costs. But that may be different where you live. Then you look at how long that will take based on your mileage driven per year. If you commute 100 miles RT each day payback is a lot faster than someone who drives 10,000 miles per year.

I'm a geek on math and you may just say scr*w it....I want the diesel....and I totally get that. It sounds like you can get out of the gasser without taking it in the shorts which is pretty rare for a newer vehicle so sounds like you have some flexibility. Good luck! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version