VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

4WD noise?

(1/2) > >>

Sammconn:
So yesterday when I headed home I forgot I was in snow wheel drive.

Got on it a bit and heard a funny growl.
Almost sounded like muffler letting go, more drone than normal. (To try and qualify the sound)

Then got on it pretty good to pass a guy, and same same growl.

Then remembered 4WD was engaged, no noise in 2WD.

So the question from the driveline guys, any thoughts.

I haven't checked fluids yet, so that may be.
When I did the pump rub fix, the T-case looked new inside.
It hasn't leaked that I have noticed.
The front driveshaft joints were tight at the same time.
Now, we had to beat the shaft off the T-case with a really BFH, and a ton of reps.

I'm thinking bent output shaft?
Slip joint stuck crooked?
Front diff?

Thoughts?

EL TATE:
Well, I ran into this a few weeks back so I'll chime in. while beating out my ball joints and fried bearing on the driver's side I attempted to swap inner tie rods and found my breather assembly plate had un-threaded itself from the diff housing and exposed the gears to the elements and made a bunch of growling noise since the oil level was down. I thought it was all bearing but made a huge difference when I put it back where it belonged. Just my experience, but sounds like front diff noise, especially since is gone in 2wd.

Sammconn:
I like the sounds of that.
I need to get it inside and thawed out and do some digging, but that is an easy one if that's the case.

Wilbur:
Were you on dry pavement? Might be a little drive train bind if none of the wheels were able to slip at all?

Sammconn:
It wasn't dry, but wasn't slippery where I did it.
That is also a good idea.
I've got lots of slippery at home, so I'll try it again later today on some slick and report back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version