Hello Guest

Author Topic: Making money with vegetables  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Making money with vegetables
« on: February 24, 2017, 12:24:49 PM »
This is going to be a bit of a wandering thread so I apologize in advance. But I wanted to provide the background and explanation for what I'm talking about....(so you don't think I'm a complete whackjob! :facepalm: But maybe its too late  :shocked: )

So I have a decent sized garden....its about 35x50 and I have added to the soil for years so it is really rich great soil. Stuff grows like crazy. Some years the weeds have overwhelmed me even with using hay and grass clippings or something to keep them at bay, but the bottom line is there is nothing better than fresh veggies right out of the garden that end up on your plate within minutes. And it produces tons. I usually have plenty to give to neighbors- squashes, tomatoes, etc.

I posted in Stewie's thread about a video that I saw a while ago and while I have meant to put it into practice I just haven't yet- the guy uses wood chips as cover in his garden, it adds nutrients over time, keeps weeds down and also provides great water retention. It's a long video but there is no denying the guy's success with it. Here's the YouTube version of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rPPUmStKQ4

I have learned a lot from it....he quotes scripture throughout the video and explains how he came to use wood chips as a cover for the garden, it makes a lot of sense.

Anywho.....so I am also a big believer in multiple lines of income.....I have been down the road of one job, one income and come to see how quickly that can change due to circumstances beyond your control. So I am looking to make sure that as I move forward I have income streams from a variety of sources. Yes I still work at my job but even that has morphed somewhat as I do consulting for a few different companies as well. But the point being that I am just darned determined never to have income only come from one place.

So I'm screwing around on YouTube last night and I come across this video:

"How to make $100,000 farming 1/2 acre you don't own."   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP5bOr0aC58

*Just a note of caution the interviewer is kind of a nutjob wanting to "save the world" type and he also swears some so just be forewarned if you're watching it with kids around.

Hmm.....but okay.....make $100K? I'll bite....I watch it. Its an interview with a guy in Canada who "rents" yards and other places to grow greens, cherry tomatoes, etc. for farmer's markets. He also sells them to restaurants. Bottom line is he likes living in a city but wanted to grow his own vegetables etc. He didn't have enough money to buy land given city prices so he started "leasing" yards and lots from other people. He trades them vegetables that he grows for letting him use the land. And he sells the rest.

He's got a book that he wrote to tell his story:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0865718016/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

He supposedly explains the process he went through and what he does. I haven't bought it yet but its in my cart at Amazon. And I realize that while he probably gets pretty high prices because he is in a city, I am guessing almost anywhere someone could set up a small table at the end of the driveway and sell extra produce that you grow. He's got some business sense too as he explains that he focuses almost exclusively on things that he can get multiple crops per season (spinach greens, kale, arugula) or produces all season long (cherry tomatoes).

He has a website also where he shares quite a bit it appears.

http://www.greencityacres.com/

So I am going to try the table at the end of the driveway this year for my excess. I post this as it might help add some revenue to some here if you wanted to try it, or it might be a good project for kids looking to earn some coin (not many paper routes any more....). And with the sizes he's talking about its not an overwhelming thin to do on a part time basis. Do I think I'll make $100K? Nope. Not by a long shot. But if I make a little something I figure it will be worthwhile. And I will learn some.

Sorry for the long winded post..... :rolleyes:     

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Making money with vegetables
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 02:13:08 PM »
I know people in Kintucky who make a good bit of $$$ from corn... ;-)

Sorry in advance for messing up your otherwise, serious discussion...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 02:35:44 PM »

HAHAHA!  :likebutton:  :beercheers:

No worries! And that stores well!  :wink:

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 04:14:01 PM »
Well, I grew up having a farmers market at home. My Dad also had a trucking company where he brokered vegetables & produce wholesale into the grocery stores in northern Indiana & Ohio. We lived in Indiana but most of it came from Michigan as they produce a ton in the warm months. Anyhow, Mom ran the market & Dad ran the business side of things & trucking. We were open from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

We sold flowers & vegetable plants early in the season & also staples like cold meats, cheese & dairy along with ice cream & candy. Our farm was located between Fort Wayne & all the northern Indiana lakes so weekend traffic to lake cottages was helpful.

Early on my parents grew quite a bit of their own product on our 5 acres but towards the end it was all imported from Michigan. Dad had his own apples & cider packed under his label even towards the end.

Occasionally he would over buy at a bargain on watermelon & cantelope. I spent many days along our highway selling those two items from crates. I also was raised helping Dad unload refrigerated box trucks & can recall not being big enough to lift the boxes but I did manage to lift up one end & drag them to the rear to be unloaded. In our house child labor was not frowned upon......
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »
In our house child labor was not frowned upon......

Like most farms!

I do think a big part of why the guy I posted about can make pretty good cash is because he's in a place that will support those prices. In most places that are rural where most people have a garden he wouldn't get it. But I am amazed at how many of my neighbors wont even have some tomato plants. Its crazy.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 05:03:50 PM »

HAHAHA!  :likebutton:  :beercheers:

No worries! And that stores well!  :wink:

Stores well in both forms! :cool:

:beercheers:
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 08:20:44 AM »
our goal is to eventually sell our excess, but that wont be for a while. I too am always seeing something as a source of income. My wife says i am high strung, i say i am a "doer". we kinda meet in the middle with how i really am.

there are farmers markets all over the i35 corridor to my west where you can sell overpriced tomatoes and soap to yuppies and hippies. As far as people coming to my farm - most of our family cant stomach the 35 min drive out of civilization so we need to go to the masses.

ill check out these videos because i am also wanting new lines of income and love to innovate and bring a good customer experience (i want repeat business!)
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 01:11:50 PM »
I thought his approach to limiting himself to those items he could get multiple crops per year from (leafy greens) or that produce all season long (cherry tomatoes) made sense. I also thought his idea of looking at what is for sale at the beginning of the farmers market and then what is still there at the end of the day to tell you what has demand in that area was pretty smart. He mentions that he cut down on his offerings to about 10 from 20 or more because that's what made him the majority of his money (the 80-20 rule). I think he's approached it from a pretty sound (business wise) perspective. I hope you get some good ideas!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal